Field Position Shooting.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but a point to be made non the less. As it relates to hunting there comes a time in the yr where it's wise in my view to forget about group size off a bench and practice solely in what counts.

No animal walking has reason to care 1 bit about how tight of a group someone or some rifle shoots from a bench. All that matters as far as them joining you for dinner is point of aim/point of impact on a single bullet when it counts.

A 6" paper plate with a 2" circle in the middle at a 100 yds is good practice. A 3-3.5" or so group with the farthest single bullet being 2.5" or so from the center of the 2" circle is hardly world class marksmanship, but by the same token is a dead center vitals hit and is a lot harder than it looks just sitting down unsupported and using your legs as props. I do a lot of woods hunting so I rarely practice a prone shot, but utilize sitting or standing shots often so that's what I practice.

I normally put these posts in Rifles - and you're singing my favorite tune when it comes to rifles.

After I've worked up a load (in most cases done years ago) and zeroed the rifle. I rarely shoot from a bench.

By far and away, most of my rifle shooting at the range is from various field positions: standing, kneeling, sitting and prone. Lots of variations of those as well.

A couple of months ago I conducted a day-long "Hunting Rifle Seminar" in which we got past the zero/bench part real fast... I had a group of shooters who ranged from no hunting experience to decades of hunting experience and all of them came away with something. I think the most surprised was one veteran huntress (with many trophies to her credit) who told me several times during the seminar "I'd never even heard of that, and it works great!"

300 yard practice with the 30-06:
NEbsdeal.jpg

20 yard quick reaction drills with the 375 H&H:
0T8w83Gl.jpg

300 yard sitting practice with the 375 H&H Ruger Number One:
NbWROpzl.jpg

I stress these and other field shooting challenges/positions in my training, for myself, my family & friends and my clients. Practical field accuracy fills tags.

Guy

During the year, I shoot my .22 a lot, from various field positions. Inexpensive to shoot, easy on the ears, easy on the shoulder. I'll also shoot my AR-15 quite a bit, similarly.

Then, as hunting season approaches, I'll shift to them, making sure to mostly shoot the rifles with which I intend to hunt. I've got a 50 shot routine:
10 prone
10 sitting
10 kneeling
20 standing

If I can keep my shots on an 8" or 9" paper plate, I feel pretty good. Practical accuracy, time, odd position/terrain variations, follow-up shots... All that good stuff. That's what fills tags.

Guy

Well I've seen some of your targets Guy including some pretty impressive pistol shooting, so you're doing something right!

ShadeTree":34sqo9ni said:
Well I've seen some of your targets Guy including some pretty impressive pistol shooting, so you're doing something right!

Thanks, I used to shoot a LOT.

Fotis, Dr Mike and others have me beat all hollow when it comes to printing tight groups from the bench. My bench-fu is not strong. :(

Maybe that's why I like grabbing the rifle and shooting from my hind legs! :mrgreen:

Guy

Guy Miner":1ea3e58u said:
Maybe that's why I like grabbing the rifle and shooting from my hind legs! :mrgreen:

Guy

Well, you do that quite well! I need to do more field position shooting. I do make my grandson practise from field position when he shoots with me.

Guy Miner":1xi333aa said:
ShadeTree":1xi333aa said:

Thanks, I used to shoot a LOT.

Fotis, Dr Mike and others have me beat all hollow when it comes to printing tight groups from the bench. My bench-fu is not strong. :(

Guy

Guy, when it comes to real world shooting in the mountains, you would beat me hands down. I am just a bench guy. :lol:

Preach the good word brother. Just your philosophy makes you a better shooter in my book than all the bench commandos at every gun club and in every hunting and shooting article out there that doesn't specifically embrace position shooting practice! I put it to the test every deer season when we go camp hopping later in the year. A pawnshop M17 sporter camp gun goes with. It's beat to heck, looks like hell, and shoots a very un-tuned load (same one I worked up for my M1 Garand), BUT I practice with it A LOT... and only from an improvised rest to check the zero occasionally, the rest is mostly offhand or tree trunk side rest. I may not be allowed to partake in any of the informal shooting contests this year!

You should come over to the dark side... give CMP service or vintage rifle competition a whirl, you'll love it! All you need to be competitive in vintage rifle, is an as-issued military bolt action or M1 Garand that is reasonably accurate....and skills.

Being new to the site I've tended to just read most of the posts. First and foremost, I am a hunter who relies on stalking skills to get a close as I can to make an ethical kill. While tight groups are interesting; they are only a small portion of hunting skills. Long range gong-bangers are fun and can hone your shooting skills. In my experience gone-banging is not the same as shooting at something live. Stressors come into play and the consequences of a miss can be significant.
I practice a very similar routine as Phd Miner suggests. I try to add one variation of practice to my routine by adding physical stresses to get my heart rate up. This puts more realism into my practice time.
I primarily just read the posts but I have to say the Phd Miner, is spot-on. Just my thoughts.

Welcome aboard, 270elk. Good thoughts you have provided.

Any photos of your hunts? If so, we'd sure appreciate seeing them. I take it you're shooting a .270 Win, which will find some definite appreciation among many who post here. If you have a picture or two of your rifle, give us a peek. We're always eager to look at rifles. Again. welcome to the forum.

Same here. Love shooting at pie plate sized targets and practice out to 600 most years. This year I practiced a fair bit long but took my animal at 120 yards... I’m totally okay with that!

Back