Finally got the HotCor load worked out.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Been working on these 140 Speer hotcor for awhile now in my 6.5 creedmoor. They ended up getting much better the farther they had to jump. It was easy to get a load slightly under moa with them, but I was really wanting to see if I could get them in 1/2" or close. I'm pretty sure I shanked one group that went over 1".
a9b9a37ca25ad6510ca2c37d1769886f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fascinating. Just goes to show that thinking outside the box will often yield unexpected results. I've always found that Hot Cor bullets wanted to be close to the lands, but your results would indicate that there are exceptions to this rule. Congratulations on staying on the case until you found the solution for your rifle.

Thanks! I started out at .020, .005, and touching the lands DrMike and it was under an inch, and was pretty satisfied. Figured I'd tried this hard I might as well go the opposite direction and see what happens lol. Here were the groups closer to the lands.
3896863532b6a823f15cc72d7d54e65a.jpg

My loads with the gamekings like touching the lands, and I figured these would. Honestly if I had a rifle that shot 2moa I would be just fine where I hunt, but I guess handloading just brings out the tinkerer in a person LOL.

Since my brother is giving up on the 300 RUM he had me pick up some 270 ammo and sight in one of his other rifles today. I forgot how great a Winchester model 70 featherweight feels! Makes me regret getting rid of the 6.5x55 featherweight I had, which he also owns now lol. Picked up some 130 SST superformance to try out, and it shot .75". I have to say I gues a model 70 featherweight is the perfect feeling rifle for me. I may have to just pick me up another on, maybe catch him on a good day and get my 6.5x55 back! Lol

Oh, yeah, if I had a 6.5X55 Featherweight, it would likely never leave my possession. I do love my Featherweights. They just feel right.

Yep one of those decisions that make me wanna punch myself in the face.

Back