Finally have the Luxus ready to shoot

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
About a year ago I stumbled across this rifle on a business trip to Nebraska. This model 11-S (chambered in .270 Winchester) was a special run that Luxus did with lower grade wood, no engraving, and no case-hardening, which they are known for with the standard model 11. The idea was to see if there was a market in the $2000 range that us commoners would buy at. I love single shot rifles and was always intrigued by Blaser K95's with the idea of swapping out barrels using the same shooting platform. I called Clay at Luxus and we discussed calibers they had in stock and what calibers could be ordered. Calibers I wanted were 6BR (with and 8 twist barrel), 6.5X55 and 9.3X62. None of these were standard calibers, so they had to order the barrels from Shilen and have Speedy Gonzolas chamber them (he does all their special order chambering). I finally got the barrels 10 days ago and ordered out a set of Talley rings to mount the scope (Victory HT 1.5-6X42). The rings are QR, so the scope can be swapped from one barrel to the next. Luxus manufacturers their barrels to use the Talley rings without needing a base. Load work will start with the 9.3X62 and than the 6.5 Swede. All barrels are 26", and head-spaced at the factory for my action. Here is a short video on how to swap out barrels: http://www.luxusarms.com/html/events.html

9.3X62 loads with the 286 grain Partition

Sandwiched between a couple 338-06 loads

Very nice, Joel. Perhaps it is not top of the line wood, but it has some really nice character, nevertheless. I could see falling hard for such a set-up.

Mike:
The 9.3X62 won't quite keep up with your Brenneke, but you have to burn quite a bit more powder. Both calibers are supposed to be very efficient on large game.

You don't have to sell me on the 9.3X62; I know it to be a great cartridge. It will deliver the goods for you.

When are you shooting that Joel?

I should have my 9.3 shortly. Can't wait to see how it performs! Are you gonna test some 250's as well?

nvbroncrider":13b10wp9 said:
When are you shooting that Joel?

I should have my 9.3 shortly. Can't wait to see how it performs! Are you gonna test some 250's as well?

As soon as the weather decides to climb above zero with the wind chills :x . I think I thinned out my blood too much spending 5 weeks in Florida...

I may try some of the 250's if the 286's don't shoot. I mainly wanted this caliber for moose hunting, so the heavy bullets are what I hope will shoot best.

Did you throat yours for the lighter or heavier bullets?

Joel,

Beautiful rifle. If she shoots half as good as she, looks, you will still be in fine shape.

JD338

The glass in the Victory is a big step up from the HD5 glass. I was on the back porch tonight with it well after sunset and it was like someone turned the lights on when you looked through it. With the illuminated reticle this will be like cheating.

truck driver":1g3u4urt said:
Great looking rifle and it looks like they copied the TC platform.

Thanks TD...it is similar to the TC action. Breach lock or break action is what I have heard them called.

Very nice Joel.. Pretty cool bunch of cartridges as well. With a 26" barrel they should be really darned good too. Looks like a sweetheart of a rifle.

HomerOz":1h91lqwy said:
G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

:lol: this will be the rifle I take to New Zealand next year for a red stage hunt. My daughter is a teacher in Auckland, so a dual purpose visit is being planned.

Back