First coyote with the browning 22-250

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
So I head out to a guys farm that I met on the nosler forum to see if I could find his range. He gave me directions but theres so many roads I got lost for bout 2 hours. He didn't care if we shot at the coyotes either if we saw any. I eventually spotted a coyote running along the hillside. I jumped out with the browning abolt 22-250 w/50g vmax @3800fps and led him a bit and touched one off. He piled at the shot, but was doing the whole flop thing so I put another in him for good measure. Lasered 266 yards. Was a younger male. The 1st 50g vmax entered his backbone and left a good 4-5" entry wound, with no exit. This was the first coyote I have shot at with this rifle so that was nice and hopefully many more to come. I am going to stick with the 50g vmax. I dont care about pelts and they usually put them down with decent size holes.

357ej6h.jpg

Nicely done! Ya just got to love the 22-250 for coyotes.

JD338

Sweet! Good job. I am going to start my work up with my 788.

Yeah its not like that rifle likes that load at all either, I saw those groups you were shooting yesterday. Looking good!

Thanks guys.

The 22-250 aint to bad for dogs. I've shot a few coyotes with the 250 and the only one I can remember that got away was with a 52g SMK. Cant totally blame the bullet as the shot was about 350 and I'm not sure it was a good hit, obviously since I didn't find him. Since then have switched to vmax or nbt's. If theres a bad hit with these bullets, at least it slows them down a bit to get another in them or at least you have a good blood trail to follow.

I'd like to try some 55g vmax just to see how they fare. If they shoot as good as the 50's, I"ll use the 55's since this is my dedicated coyote rifle. The extra 5g does make a difference IMO, especially when bone is hit.

I have W760, H-380, and IMR-4895 I can play with. Right now am using 41g of W760 w/50g vmax at around 3800fps. Am getting .5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Havne't played with it to much because I dont really wanna use W760, I just got it because thats all the store had that would work. My friend gave me a pound of H-380 and jmad_81 gave me a pound of IMR-4895. So I think I"ll play with the 50's and 55's with all 3 powders and hopefully get a killer load!!!

I need to order the timney spring kit as well. This is the only rifle I own that doesn't have a 1.5-2# trigger and lemme tell you it sucks trying to shoot groups with a 4-5# trigger.

Now, I've shot probably 10 coyotes with the 40gr Ballistic Tip in my .223. All have pretty much just dropped. Although I don't recall any hitting square on the shoulder, all pretty much in the boiler room with small entry and exit wounds. That is my go-to bullet for coyotes in my .223 and I've always wondered how they would do in the .22-250, has anybody used the 40gr pills in the .222-250?

The 40g pill works ok on dogs from the 222/223 rounds, but when loaded at 250 or 220 swift speeds, they just dont cut it most the time for dogs. The impact velocity is just to much for that little bullet and it just explodes on contact. Virtually no penetration. I've shot a couple dogs with the 40g vmax/nbt from a 22-250 and swift and thats what I noticed. Some would be DRT, but most would take off running with a nice big splat surface wound was all.

I use the 40g vmax in my 222 and have killed about 10 dogs with it and only lost 1, that was due to a running shot, so have no idea where I hit him. Most of them have been DRT out to 250 yards or so. either behind or in the shoulder. Sometimes they exit, sometimes they dont, I dont really care as long as the dog is dead.

Match the bullet to the cartridge to the game and you'll be fine.

The 40g pill out of 250's are squirrel loads IMO.

Point well taken....I was just wondering.

I've had similar things happen with the 36gr Varmint Grenade I am forced to use in my .223. (California lead ban) Although, I have only seen 2 animals shot with this bullet (it's hard to draw a conclusion on only two animals). One was a broadside coyote at just over 100 yards. He was hit high in the spine which left a huge gaping hole. The other was a Bobcat at 85 yards, quartering to. The little bullet left a huge entry hole from just behind the on-side shoulder all the way to the on-side hip. Just a huge hole. Both ended up dead, but I worry about penetration.

I figured with the .22-250 speeds, that was the case with the 40gr BT's.

At one point I was down-loading some 52gr match hollowpoints (2,700fps+-) and I took several coyotes and a javelina with that. Consistant, exit holes the size of a nickel on coyotes out to 200 yards and I recovered the one from the javelina. Quatering away shot and I found the bullet (nicely mushroomed) in the front shoulder. I've changed my way of thinking and moved to the 40gr BT's. But now with the lead ban, I am forced to find a lead free bullet.

Back