First Elk meets 160 grain Accubond

Firehawk

Beginner
Dec 16, 2004
I finally killed my first elk on Saturday. I killed a very large cow at a lasered 378 yards using my 7mm Rem Mag and H1000 powder, 160 Nosler AccuBond and CCI250 primer. I was very impressed.

I had a bad experience a few years ago where I lost an animal that I couldn't get a quick enough second shot after making a poor shot. Knowing this had happened, I have adopted the line of thinking that suggests "keep shooting til they are not moving." I had to explain this before I went on.

Anyway, I shot my first elk on the weekend. I had hiked long and hard in 10" of snow with drifts going over 2 feet. I located the herd and planned my stalk. After closing the distance to 350-400 yards depending on which elk was being ranged, on picked a large cow that was standing broadside in an opening in the trees.

I lined the 400 yard hash mark of the Burris Signature Select scope on the front shoulder and took my steady shot. She immediately went down and began to slide down the steep snowy slope. She came to rest against a cedar tree and her head was still up. I lined up on her neck and hit her again. She bagan to slide further down the slope and came to rest broadside but was still moving. Rather than take a chance like had happened in the past, I hit her again, this one hitting high and taking out the backbone. Now she was done. I had used the 400 yard hash mark for the last shot but she had slid down the hill far enough I should have used the 300 yard mark for the final shot, but oh well, now she was dead.

Upon further inspection, every bullet had exited doing a great deal of damage. My first shot had busted the shoulder, jellied the lungs and exited through the top of the opposite front leg. I can't ask for better performance from a bullet. I am certain I didn't need to keep shooting, but elk are big and can absorb a lot of lead before going down. Hopefully I made the right choice. Because I harvested her clean and have her in the freezer, I think I did.

So chalk this up to a great job by Nosler and Burris. And me too of course :wink: I just thought I would share my successful experience with the AccuBond.

Firehawk

Congratulations. From the sounds of it, the elk was dead walking after the 1st shot. But you have a good theory, keep shooting till there down is the same one we use in our elk hunting camp. Elk are big and tough and there is just no reason "not to" keep shooting till they are down and not moving for good. Wounded elk tend to run for the darkest deepest damn hole or canyon they can find. The last 2 elk I have shot with my 300 RUM and the 200g AB was awesome results. I'm pretty sure they were toast after the 1st hit, but I put a 2nd round into both of them for added insurance. I dont know about most, but Im already hunting big deep canyons, I dont need them elk going any farther.

Nice job and congratulations. After a lost elk I understand and feel for you. I've killed elk with three different rifles / calibers. Even with the .300 WBY if it is still standing and draining blood it gets shot again. There is always a deeper darker canyon for it to escape into if you don't.

Job well done!! :)

Firehawk,

Congratulations on your elk.
You got it right, keep shooting until they have all four feet in the air!
Good shooting.

Regards,

JD338

Congratulations on your elk. You were right in continuing to bring the elk under fire until you were certain that she was down for good.
I took a bull in 2002 with a downhill, 304 yard shot. The first round went through the chest. As he was still walking up hill, coming my way, the second shot split his skull, right at the antler root and lanced down through his back. The third shot took him under his left eye and he was down and out.
You did it right. Continue shooting every time, until the animal is down and not attempting to rise.

Thanks guys!

I sometimes wonder if I shot too many times and wasted meat, but I just didn't want to loose her. I think deep down I also wondered about the effectiveness of my 7mm Mag on the elk and this was my first shot at an elk with the rifle. You know how all of those "experts and stories" are....7mm is too small for elk :roll: .

After seeing what happened with this bullet and how effectively it took her down, I won't hesitate to shoot another elk with my 7mm. But, I might still keep shooting until all four feet are in the air.

Of course, deep down I still want a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM so my wife can't know that I think the 7mm Rem is enough gun. Can you please help me keep that secret? :wink:

Firehawk

Congrats on your Elk! The AccuBond is proving to be an excellent bullet no doubt. I'm currently shooting them in my 25.06 with great results in both accuracy and performance on game. I plan to purchase some for my 30.06 and work up a load during the off season.

congrat''s firehawk, from reading your story i felt i was rite there with you!!! fine shooting,great bullet choice,determination pays off big as you so well proved !!!!! :grin: regards jjmp

Excellent! Sounds like a great hunt.

Elk are tough animals that can take a punch. I hit one last year in almost the exact way as your first shot though it exited at the base of the neck. I, too, was shooting the 160gr AB out of a 7mmRemMag though pushed by IMR4350. Heard the bullet hit and it sounded as loud as the shot. She didn't even flinch. Turned broadside the other direction and I shot her through the lungs.

Congratulations on the ethical kill and best wishes on many more to come.

jd

congradulations on your elk, I have only shot one, a spike bull, I was using the 175 gr Partition bullet in my 7mm mag and the elk collapsed at the shot so fast when I came out of recoil it was gone, I thought I missed at first and my buddy who was beside me didn't see the elk it happened so fast. but it was right there. great bullets I have been thinking about the new accubonds but am slow to try new things. :)

Congrats on the elk. The 7mag w/ 160grNP is an elk rifle for sure. There is a diff. though between a cow & big 6pt bull, about 250#+ worth of muscle & bone. That's when you want to get closer so you don't lose that one. :shock:

Congratulations on your Elk. Personally having lived in prime Elk country here in British Columbia all my life, I have had the privilege of shooting quite a few of these large cervids. I have had uncommonly great success in my Elk hunting, and can only remember having to shoot a couple more than once. The farthest any Elk travelled after the shot was about 60 yards. The 7mm Is good elk medicine [with the right bullet!], and I have always used the 160 Partition, but may try the AccuBond next fall. I took a nice bull Moose last fall with the 8x57 and a 200 AccuBond. The shot was about 260 yards, and it was a bang-flop, with the bullet exiting out the far side of the chest. Last fall's elk fell to my 30-338 and the 180 Partition. Nosler is a winner in my books, Regards, Eagleye.

I thought this thread had died a long time ago. I just noticed that several people have posted since I last noticed. Sorry!

Thanks for the advice, consolations, and congratulations. I am still reaping the rewards of the bounty. In fact, I believe that tomorrow will be a particularly good day for a BB-Q. Make mine Medium Rare please!

FH

Hey- good job, I like it when elk go three feet...straight down! I have wounded a few too and after having to track them down to kill or lose them altogether, i decided to get a bigger gun too. I use a 300 Win mag with 180 grain Partitions and 180 Accubonds. Havent killed an elk yet but this season beckons. Hey, by the way, what was your load with H1000 and that 160gr AB? My Dad's best friend shoots a 7mm Rem and he wants me to load him some up with that H1000 and yet the Nosler book doesnt even list it in the 160gr section of their last manual. Please respond or email me at elkslayer308@yahoo.com.

Back