FL sizing a 270 wsm

nshunter

Beginner
Aug 31, 2011
I am fairly new to loading for this caliber and seem to be having a few issues with re sizing my cases. I am using lee dies, winchester brass and a lee breach lock challenger press. As an example, if I size 10 cases, sometimes I will get one that won't chamber, it requires another run through the die before it will chamber. What could be causing this? You would think if the die was not adjusted properly none of the cases would be sized properly, not just one. The rifle is an x bolt, new this year.

Have you checked case length? They might be too long and hitting the end of the chamber. If that isn't it then you might measure the cases that don't fit at the base and shoulder and compare them to the ones that do. If the cases are too long sometimes they will bottom out in the die and flare the shoulders as well.

Yeah I thought that too at first, but when I measured them they were all within proper specs.

I have the same thing occasionally. Once fired WSM brass will not always expand all the way. So when setting my die you need to look for the longest shoulder to case head measurement and set your die off that case. IdahoCTD brings up the length, which could be the problem as well. My 7 and 270WSM both require realy measuring and making sure the die is being adjusted to properly size all of the cases. Scotty.

beretzs":ak6tojpj said:
I have the same thing occasionally. Once fired WSM brass will not always expand all the way. So when setting my die you need to look for the longest shoulder to case head measurement and set your die off that case. IdahoCTD brings up the length, which could be the problem as well. My 7 and 270WSM both require realy measuring and making sure the die is being adjusted to properly size all of the cases. Scotty.

That must be what is going on, I'll have to re check my dies and cases.How do you measure the shoulder to case head measurement, is there a tool or are you just using a caliper .

nshunter":21t9cvo3 said:
beretzs":21t9cvo3 said:

That must be what is going on, I'll have to re check my dies and cases.How do you measure the shoulder to case head measurement, is there a tool or are you just using a caliper .

You can use the Hornady Comparator inserts on your calipers or the digital headspace gauge from Innovative Technologies. Either will work well and really allow you to tune your resizing operation. Scotty

...seems pretty common w/ the short mags, I took the advice of the guys on the WSSM Forum, & set my dies where I have a slight "cam-over", a little "pop" @ the top of the stroke on my press. I'd rather just neck size, but the "cam-over" seems to insure proper functioning of the rifle action...

wildgene":j1r2jxs0 said:
...seems pretty common w/ the short mags, I took the advice of the guys on the WSSM Forum, & set my dies where I have a slight "cam-over", a little "pop" @ the top of the stroke on my press. I'd rather just neck size, but the "cam-over" seems to insure proper functioning of the rifle action...
Yeah I have a wssm and went through issues with my bolt being hard to close. This seemed to be a different issue though than what I was having with my wssm. This was the round going in but then my bolt would not close at all, so I thought something else was going on. I think it's the same issue but in a different rifle, which reacts differently. Hopefully I have it solved now, I have turned my die in a bit more, all of the brass since seems to be functioning fine now.

This tool right here is about the best I have found thus far for getting an exact die setting in order to make sure I am working the brass to where it needs to be, everytime. Once a die is set up for my rifle, they function excellent and brass life is great as well. Money well spent.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

Don't be afraid to experiment with case length, either. My 300WSM needs to be trimmed to 2.055" to ensure smooth function, even though book max trim length is 2.090".

beretzs":egxeezlx said:
This tool right here is about the best I have found thus far for getting an exact die setting in order to make sure I am working the brass to where it needs to be, everytime. Once a die is set up for my rifle, they function excellent and brass life is great as well. Money well spent.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

Checked it out and it looks like a good tool to have, now to see if I can get one.

tddeangelo":mit7qwim said:
Don't be afraid to experiment with case length, either. My 300WSM needs to be trimmed to 2.055" to ensure smooth function, even though book max trim length is 2.090".

I'm trimming as short as I can go using my lee case length gage, not sure how I can get them shorter. What are you using to trim your cases?

nshunter":roq07f2g said:
tddeangelo":roq07f2g said:

I'm trimming as short as I can go using my lee case length gage, not sure how I can get them shorter. What are you using to trim your cases?

I use a Lyman trimmer.

nshunter":32crizpw said:
Hopefully I have it solved now, I have turned my die in a bit more, all of the brass since seems to be functioning fine now.

Friends of mine that have owned WSMs nearly always found that the FL die needed to be set to bump the shoulder if reliable feeding and ease of chambering was being sought. The combination of heavy brass with thick necks, short case, minimal taper, sharp shoulder all combine to make chambering with ease not as easy to achieve as with say a 270Winchester.

What also may be happening (and hence why its dissappeared by screwing the die in further) is that you were actually partially neck sizing using the FL die and the die itself was not making contact with the case's shoulder. What then happens in the FL die contacts and squeezes the case's sides and the shoulder is pushed forward ever so slightly as the brass needs to move somewhere and the shoulder being unsupported is what moves ... making chambering hard or impossible.

By the way, Lee presses wont 'cam-over' with that same feel that an RCBS press gives. Adjust the die to make contact with the shellholder, run a case all the way in and then have a look at whether the die is making contact with the shellholder. Odds are if its like my Lee press/die combinations, you'll notice that with a case in the die, the die is actually no longer in contact with the shellholder. That's why its necessary to back the shellholder off and then screw the die in further. Trial and error usually finds what the best setting is for your combination of brass, dies and rifle chamber.
Cheers...
Con

Back