FL Sizing Won't Fit

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I have about 20 twice fired 270 cases that were shot in a Vanguard. Last night I FL sized them as I was going to use them in a M70...they won't fit. The bolt will not close on a FL sized case and it makes no sense. I checked the OAL and it was within specs. I even tried another die, the Redding FL size die with bushing and it still won't chamber. Yet, I can take a new WW case, drop it in and the bolt readily closes.

What's going on? I've never seen a case(s) that won't chamber once FL sized.

You might have to bump the shoulder down some more. I have seen this happen before.

They came out of the Vanguard that I no longer have. I have the RCBS FL die screwed down till it touches the shell holder and likewise for the Redding, still a no go.

I've seen it before. Fired in one .308 rifle, full-length re-sized, and tried in another .308 rifle.

No go.

First rifle's chamber was too generous I suppose. Never could crunch 'em down small enough, with the FL dies, to fit the other .308 (which admittedly had a rather tight, match chamber).

Guy

...set your sizing die down to where it bottoms out on the shell holder, then add a quarter turn of the die. You should have just a little "snap" or resistance when you hit the bottom of the stroke on your press...

I tried that. In fact, I set the die a bit further so that it bumped the shoulder back .004" and the case still wouldn't chamber. I've never see this before.

It must be swelled at the web (just above the rim)...a small base die should fix it....or trash the brass and move on.

That Vanguard must have had a really sloppy chamber...

I've given those cases enough time so, I think I'll trash them. I hate doing that but I'm not going to spend hours with it when I have 200 new cases and 40 already fired 8-9 times. That 270 Vanguard was the worse shooting 270 I've owned and I've had 5-6. It didn't group well and smacked me on the jaw with every shot.

ColColt":1h0vwmc8 said:
That 270 Vanguard was the worse shooting 270 I've owned and I've had 5-6. It didn't group well and smacked me on the jaw with every shot.

Which stock was on it? Ammo you tried?

I have 3 of them, and they are the most accurate factory rifles I could ask for. Out of all the rifles I own if I had to pare down to 1 I think it would be a Vanguard in 270 Win.

Back