FNG

dragger201

Beginner
Feb 12, 2012
To this forum but not to reloading. Been reloading since 1976. Never messed with any wildcats, but have reloaded/shot a wide variety of rounds. Currently I'm a one-trick-pony. Reloading for a .270Win. on a Howa 1500 action with a 22" barrel. My current accuracy/hunting load is 55gr. IMR 4350, CCI LR primer, Nosler 130gr. BT. At a hundred yards can keep 3 shots in 3/4", and only two holes.

Came upon this site looking for info on adjusting my trigger(which I did today) and since hunting season is over, this next week I'll be working up loads for some 90gr. Sierra HP and some Speer 100gr. HP. Will also, before I hit the bench again, will be adding weight to the butt and forend of my factory stock.

Logged on first time last night, been ready and evaluating the forum. Like what I see, reloading, guns not a lot of "carp". Been on firearms forums before and it seems the trolls takeover. Hoping that doesn't happen here........I really like what I've seen.

Anyway, here I am!!!!

Welcome aboard. I do believe it is a good crew here. Not a lot of slamming or trying to build oneself up through tearing someone else down. We really do try to focus on issues that are pertinent to those posting here. We'll welcome your input and your insight, I'm certain. Are you mostly hunting deer with your 270? It sounds as if you do have a great load in the 130 grain BT.

Yep, whitetail here in MS. The lighter hollowpoints(if I can put together some accurate loads) will be used for coyotes and foxes. I manage/work a small hobby farm and both are a problem.

I forgot to mention, I'm opinionated, ugly, and sometimes I don't smell so good.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the .270 as I'm a one-trick pony myself with a .30-06, but I'll be happy to read your posts.

Welcome home. There is no topic too arcane or obscure to garner an opinion here, somebody will have the answer. I've been bouncing about for a couple years here, and have never seen a flame post yet. As with any discussion involving big boy toys, people will get opinionated, but all seem to play nice here.

Try the 110 Vmax in your 270. I'm using the 120 gr 7mm version in my 280 rem and it's a coyote death ray. Surprisingly accurate in this rifle, nice BC. That 130 BT would work about as well also though unless you're concerned about riccochet and need something that will come apart when it impacts.

Thanks Joel. Yeah, the venerable '06...........IMHO......probably the most versatile and cost effective round out there. Most everybody I know who hunts has or had an '06. Had a few myself. My first hunting gun was an old mauser that had been sporterized and chamber for the '06. My dad got it for himself but ended up giving it to me when I was 13. Helluva deer gun.

Polaris":1zrrrgvq said:
Welcome home. There is no topic too arcane or obscure to garner an opinion here, somebody will have the answer. I've been bouncing about for a couple years here, and have never seen a flame post yet. As with any discussion involving big boy toys, people will get opinionated, but all seem to play nice here.

Try the 110 Vmax in your 270. I'm using the 120 gr 7mm version in my 280 rem and it's a coyote death ray. Surprisingly accurate in this rifle, nice BC. That 130 BT would work about as well also though unless you're concerned about riccochet and need something that will come apart when it impacts.

Yeah, ricochets are definitely a concern as I will be shooting in pastures with other animals. The bullets I've got so will try them first. What powder are you using?? I'm "old school" and have been kinda leaning towards IMR 4831. One of the reasons for not using the 130 BT is cost. The Sierra and Speer bullets were given to me..........

I'm opinionated, ugly, and sometimes I don't smell so good.

There is always someone to adjust attitude, anyone can buy a sack to place over their head and they sell Fabreeze at Wal-Mart. :mrgreen:

We enjoy our shooting around here, and as long as a fellow isn't obnoxious, most of us will tolerate opinions.

Welcome Dragger!
Your observations are correct. Just a whole lot of good people here. "carp" isn't the norm here. You'll find a whole lot of good information here w/o alot of ego.ENJOY! 8)
Scott

DrMike":wc1nztpc said:
There is always someone to adjust attitude, anyone can buy a sack to place over their head and they sell Fabreeze at Wal-Mart. :mrgreen:

We enjoy our shooting around here, and as long as a fellow isn't obnoxious, most of us will tolerate opinions.

Thanks Doc, I'll remember that about the fabreeze. As for being obnoxious.........never really seemed like the smart thing to do around a bunch of folks with guns. So mostly I don't do that.

dragger201,

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

H4831 is the classic powder for the good old 270 Win.
Let us know if you have any loading questions, the fellas here are happy to help.

JD338

welcome dragger, I always ran IMR 4350 with the lighter bullets and IMR or H 4831 with the heavy's in the 270 win.
RR

dragger201":2ndv44ss said:
Logged on first time last night

You picked a good one. Welcome.

You're spot on with that 130 gr BT. The 4350 burn rate is flat-out awesome in the .270. It just might do the trick with the lighter bullets as well. Or, something along the lines of Varget or IMR 4064 might be in order.

Good luck with your development, and let us know how it turns out! :grin:

Welcome to the forum, I like to use IMR powders as well. I have used 4831 in my .270 Win but use IMR 4350 for 130 grain bullets mostly. Either powder works fine. I do not shoot many varmits with the .270 but have shot a lot of deer with it. There are some here (who shoot .270 WSM's) and will try to confuse you and convince you that the .270 Win is unworthy for deer hunting but just ignore them. They will appear to you soon enough with their trickery!

dragger201":l51yu7us said:
I forgot to mention, I'm opinionated, ugly, and sometimes I don't smell so good.

Oh good, a kindred spirit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I moved from Nevada to Arizona, a few things went AWOL including a binder that had all my reloading notes. :( Dunno if it was the movers who took a liking to it or it just plain got lost. My stepson's bicycle also disappeared and we played unholy hell getting that replaced.
Anyway, back then I used IIRC the 110 gr. Sierra to semi-vaporize a few yodel dogs. I still remember the first one I shot. It literally came unglued. Pretty messy. I also shot a yote with he 130 gr. Nosler Partition at about 50 yards and it did some serious damage.
I didn't use the .270 all that much on them though. The .243 was a bit cheaper to shoot and it wasn't until well after I moved down here to Tucson that I bought a .223 Rem. to use on coyotes. It does a good job on them and the chance of ricochet is a lot less than with the .243 or .270.
Without my notes, I'm trying to remember what powder I used in the .270. I don't think it was one of the 4350s or 4831s. For some reason I think it might have been IMR 4064. I think it was around 1975 or 76 when I bought that rifle, a commercial FN mauser that had a california style stock so ugly that, to use a Jack O'Connor quote, "A stock so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile." I figured I'd just restock in something a bit less ofensive to my eye but when I shot it, that thought went away. Ugly it is and ugly it will stay. When a rifle shoots 150 gr. Nodler Partitions into .75" avaerage at a chronographed 2999 FPS, like Murphy said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The gun came with a cheapie 4X scope and a box of ammo all for the sum of $75.00. 8)
Anyway, welcome aboard.
Paul B.

PJGunner":1h0na9fv said:
I think it was around 1975 or 76 when I bought that rifle, a commercial FN mauser that had a california style stock so ugly that, to use a Jack O'Connor quote, "A stock so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile." I figured I'd just restock in something a bit less ofensive to my eye but when I shot it, that thought went away. Ugly it is and ugly it will stay. When a rifle shoots 150 gr. Nodler Partitions into .75" avaerage at a chronographed 2999 FPS, like Murphy said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The gun came with a cheapie 4X scope and a box of ammo all for the sum of $75.00. 8)
Anyway, welcome aboard.
Paul B.

I know exactly what you mean. My Howa 1500 ain't ugly, but I had never considered one. This one was a "gift" for doing some driving for my wife's sister about 8 years ago. Went with the BroInLaw to a pawn shop/gunshop to pick out a hunting rifle. I thought I would give a .270 a try. Was looking for something cheap in price found this Howa with a Nikko Sterling 3x9 scope. Got it and 2 boxes of ammo for less then $400(about 50 cents less). I wasn't really expecting anything but set down at the shooting bench. By the time I got done with one box of ammo, I was sold. Headed back to town and got dies, powder, bullets and primers. Haven't looked back since, and haven't had a hankering for another gun(at least not a hankering that I couldn't resist). The only mods.......trigger adjustment mentioned earlier and a folding bipod.

dragger

As I am on several forums I know exactly what you mean. Pretty friendly here, my favorite site of all. Lots of great people here and a great amount of knowledge. Also posting pictures here is a snap even I can do it Welcome.!!!!

Elkman":1ydil6ea said:
dragger

As I am on several forums I know exactly what you mean. Pretty friendly here, my favorite site of all. Lots of great people here and a great amount of knowledge. Also posting pictures here is a snap even I can do it Welcome.!!!!

Thanks Elkman. Yeah, I had about given up on any sort of shooting forums. I only wish I had done this about 3 months ago. Got at least 2 more days of being "layed up". Then back at 'em.

Welcome aboard, dragger. I'm just a few hours east and a tad north of you, in Huntsville, AL. One of our summer interns from last summer is a student at MSU in Starkville, though, and my old roommate from Auburn transferred in from there. He was from Jackson, originally. Anyway, just a little indirect connection there.

You'll find this site to be great and trouble free. Good luck with the loading.

Back