Franchi Momentum article in American Hunter

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So i read article last night in the latest American Hunter mag and it went on and talked about this outside-the-box engineering seen in European guns... im sorry im not going to drag it out, but to me it looks like they may have looked outside of their box and right into a Ruger American box...
Just was bugging me had to say something.

Bolt and v-block look very similar

Attachments

• 20190323_071142.jpg
    20190323_071142.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
Anyone have any experience with these? LGS has a really good price on them right now. Are they a good buy?

My wife has a Franchi Affinity 20 ga shotgun and it is very nice. Fit form and function are good. I would think this rifle would follow suite. Ruger still has the home court advantage with a lower price point.

JD338

Well, since none of you knuckleheads talked me out of it, I decided to pick one up. LGS has a sale on the 6.5CM, 308, and 300WM for $529. And then there's a $150 factory rebate. Hard to turn down a new rifle for $400. I bought the 6.5, will compare it to the Ruger American 7-08 that I have. Winner stays, loser goes.

Initial impression is that the build quality seems a bit better on the Franchi than the Gen 1 American. The stock seems to be less chintzy and not as flexible. Finish on the barrel and receiver seems good. It's got an unusually fat, shiny bolt, which is different.

Might be a while before I get a chance to take it to the range, but I'll report back when I do.

Last edited:
Well, since none of you knuckleheads talked me out of it, I decided to pick one up. LGS has a sale on the 6.5CM, 308, and 300WM for $529. And then there's a $150 factory rebate. Hard to turn down a new rifle for $400. I bought the 6.5, will compare it to the Ruger American 7-08 that I have. Winner stays, loser goes.

Initial impression is that the build quality seems a bit better on the Franchi than the Gen 1 American. The stock seems to be less chintzy and not as flexible. Finish on the barrel and receiver seems good. It's got an unusually fat, shiny bolt, which is different.

Might be a while before I get a chance to take it to the range, but I'll report back when I do.
We need pictures😁

Congrats Brian, NGD (New Gun Day) is always a good day!! You also have enough time to work up a load before deer season!!

Very nice!
What glass are you going to use?

JD338
I've got a couple spares sitting around, one of them will be good enough for testing purposes. If it proves to be a better shooter than my Ruger, there's a Nikon 2-10x on that rifle that I'll move over before I get rid of it.

Looks good to me. Like that big bolt knob for this style of rifle. Does the action run smooth and verily easy bolt lift? Dan.

Looks good to me. Like that big bolt knob for this style of rifle. Does the action run smooth and verily easy bolt lift? Dan.
I wouldn't call it "smooth," more like "smooth enough." With the 3 locking lugs, you get more drag than if there are only 2. It's not bad, but it's not like a Remington, Mauser, Tikka, etc.

I wouldn't call it "smooth," more like "smooth enough." With the 3 locking lugs, you get more drag than if there are only 2. It's not bad, but it's not like a Remington, Mauser, Tikka, etc.
How would you compare it to your Ruger American?

I did find one thing that I'm not crazy about, and will change if I keep the rifle: The 2-piece scope mounts. I've got the front ring set as far to the rear as I can get, and it's still not to my liking. There are 1-piece rails available, and I'll switch to one of those if I keep it.

I did find one thing that I'm not crazy about, and will change if I keep the rifle: The 2-piece scope mounts. I've got the front ring set as far to the rear as I can get, and it's still not to my liking. There are 1-piece rails available, and I'll switch to one of those if I keep it.
One piece is the way to go.

Back