Friends daughter scored her first Elk - Cow

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I sold a Rem Mod 7 SS in a 243 Win with camo stock to a friend of mine for his daughters 12th birthday this year. I loaded RL17 and 90gn Deep Curl on the lighter side. I have 90 ABs but they are spoken for on another buddies 243.
I wasn't there but the story as I understand it is as follows:
As they were walking the logging trail in a clear cut, going into a corner with a rise to it. Friend spotted a herd of elk on the other side of the draw about 100yds. He pulled his daughter back out of sight. Perfect they didn't see them. They had time to remove the packs and get the shooting sticks out and ready. As they creeped up over the rise and corner she got on a big cow but the road/bank was in the cross hair. They moved out/over two more steps and got ready again. They wind was right and the elk did not know they were there.
He was telling here to take her time and after a bit she was getting nervous and saying she was going to miss. Friend was watching the barrel and it appeared steady and kept telling her "just shoot like we have practiced" and boom.... Friend said "You missed, shoot again" ....
About then the Lead Cow stumbled and he told to look!! it was going down hill and started to stumble and then went nose down. She only went about 20yds or so.

Shot placement was right behind shoulder between ribs thru both lungs and the arterial above heart. It went out hitting a rib so the hole was about like a half dollar. No blood shot meat!!

She was extremely excited with high fives and hugs for her dad. I'm glad she had such a positive outing on her first big game kill. Just text book!!! She has a hearing impairment and uses implants for "normal" living. She is such a bright and friendly young gal. Very proud of her.

I'll ask her dad if posting a pic with her and the elk is ok. It will be a week or so before I see him. He has work out of town for a few days. My bull hunt starts next week Thurs so I'll be out for a while too.

So the 12 year old girl with a .243 took an elk with one shot?

OUTSTANDING!

VERY AWESOME! Wish her congrats from all of us! Truly a great experience!

Be sure that the young lady knows how really thrilled a bunch of gun cranks are for her. She did an awesome job. Congratulations are in order all around.

Guy Miner":1uuz2ie2 said:
So the 12 year old girl with a .243 took an elk with one shot?

OUTSTANDING!

X-20 congrats and man I love the 6mm's , she shot like she practiced what more could you ask for .

It does not get much better than then that. Tell her congratulations from the guys north of the 49th. That is a father, daughter memory that will last a life time.
She put a good portion of meat in the deep freeze as well :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

I enjoy hearing about kids getting involved with hunting , guns , and the outdoors .

Making memories is what it is all about. I remember my first game kill with my Dad. It was a gray squirrel at age 8 with a double barrel 20 ga.

Tell her we are proud of her and keep on making memories.

Back