Getting her dialed in

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
Hunting season is getting closer so I've been stretching the legs on my 300wsm lately. I ran it out to 625yds this morning and will stretch it to 800 and 950yds later in the week when I get my plow disc blades made up for targets. The first shot went almost dead center, the second higher and right just on the edge of the bull and the 3rd I pulled higher and right. It was just over 3.5" even with the shot I knew I pulled a bit. The B&C reticle in my VX-6 3x18 is really too thick for high precision shooting and after the first shot wiped the red paint off the bullseye it got a bit harder to figure out where/how to aim. The shots high and low to the far right are from a 300wm I built my hunting buddy and I'm working up loads for. I will probably get rid of this scope and get another one with the TMOA reticle but it is nice to have the illuminated reticle.

Hopefully it won't be long before before I get to do some critter testing.

Attachments

• 300wsm625yds.jpg
    300wsm625yds.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 551
WOW! Great shooting. I really like my 300 wsm, very cool cartridge. That looks like my 100 yard group. LOL

That is some fine shooting, I am not sure if I missed it or not but what load are you shooting out of her?

Blessings,
Dan

I shoot 69grs of R-26 with a 215 Berger @ 2950fps with a OAL just under 3.2". The rifle is a SS Remington 700 LA with a Wyatt center feed max box so it feeds the short cases correctly. It has a #5 26" Brux barrel, a Jewell trigger, one of my brakes, and a McMillan Game Scout stock. Next week I'm sending the bolt off to get fluted and then the whole thing will get Cerakoted. The barreled action and Talley mounts will be dark grey and the bolt will be black unless I get a wild hair and do the flutes grey and the rest black. The stock is a swirled light grey, dark grey, and black. The scope is matte black and should match the bolt.

That's good shooting, especially off a reticle!

Fun to see how different your .300 WSM is than mine. I had mine stretched out to 700 yards on Saturday... it shot just under 5" for 3 rounds... with the first two hitting the 4" center circle.

It's a 17" barreled Kimber Montana with an SAS Arbiter Suppressor attached it weighs under 8lbs all-up. I'm running a 3-9x40 Leupold with 1/2 MOA turret. I'm shooting the 155 Scenar at 3050 using 4350.

Two pretty opposite rigs, running opposite ends of the spectrum on glass, bullet weight, and barrel length... yet both very capable.

One of these days I might do a short barrel suppressed rig. It would actually be quite useful where we hunt cow elk, although they aren't overly spooked by gun shots on August 1st. They've been around farm equipment and all kinds of other stuff making loud noise for the whole summer. It is pretty cool to see it shoot that well with a 3x9 scope. I'm surprised the velocity is so low though. That's right about what a long barreled 308 shoots. It has to shoot a pretty big fireball out the end without a suppressor.

Pretty sure I could ramp it up over 3200.. but it shoots good here, it's the first (only) load I tried with the Scenar... and pressure/report/recoil are all pretty mild. It'll full 208 Amax at 2750 but that load bucks quite a bit.

I really dig the short barreled suppressed set-up. It's about the same length as a LA 700 with a 24" barrel... and weighs a bit less. For a 600 yard and in pure hunting rig it checks-off just about all the boxes.

Songdog that is quite the set up as well (y).
You both are right on in the accuracy dept!!
Thanks for posting.

Blessings,
Dan

Is it ear safe with the suppressor or do you need to run ear plugs still?

Back