Getting Started

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Hi guys. I’m planning on getting started next spring in a few PRS matches. I plan on starting in the Gas Gun Class with a couple rifles that I think may be a good place to start. I built two identical rifles, by starting with Aero uppers and lowers. I got two X-caliber chrome moly barrels chambered for 223 Wylde 24” in length, with 1:8 twist, broke them in with 25 rounds each, THOROUGHLY cleaned them to bare bore and had them both QPQ Nitrided to help with durability and lower bore friction. I shimmed the barrels and headspaced them at .0015” over minimum spec. Rifle length gas tubes with adjustable Aero gas blocks and full floated 15” forearms. Timney Impact triggers in both, with stainless springs, pins, and detents, and both have fully nitrided bolt heads and carrier groups. I’ve got upper end Firefield, and Bushnell XLT glass on them at the moment which will change. They have wide ACS stocks for positive cheek weld, and MOE XL K grips, and a fairly low cost bipod.

Both rifles are more consistent than I am. I’m working up loads now with Hornady 75 grain BTHP’s and if they exceed 1/2” at 100 yards it’s my fault. It’s been many years since I’ve competed and that was with a M1A. Nothing takes the place for experience but do any of you have any advice or pointers? I know I may be at a little disadvantage going with a 5.56/223 but am familiar with its trajectory out to 400 yards. Here’s a pic of one of them. Some things are different on them now, like the stock, grip, and a 20 moa mount was added but give you an idea of what I’m running.
IMG_0083.jpeg

Last edited:
I will say it’s much easier when I’m not excited, while in a match it will be problematic to say the least. I don’t expect to do very well until I become more comfortable with things. Are there changes I need to make in equipment? Pointers on how the matches are conducted?

When I hold a portion of my breath I can feel my heartbeat in my ears. I time it after the third beat. Beat 1, beat 2, beat 3 and squeeze. When shooting offhand your crosshairs will make a figure eight because of your heartbeat. Fire at the center of the figure eight. That’s between beats. At least that’s how I was taught in the military.

Thanks for the input on breathing, it brought it to the forefront of my mind to remember. I really hope the equipment I’ve put together can give me a descent start. It’s been quite an investment so far. Still if anyone has any pointers I’m all ears.

I guess the one thing I would say is don't be in a hurry, and remember to have fun.
Don't take yourself so seriously.
I know that the "don't be in a hurry" is complete contradiction in PRS.
Don't let it get under your skin if you time out.
Take your time think about get getting squared up to the target each time.
You cannot rush/hurry up a shot fast enough to make a hit with bad fundamentals.
Don't worry about your score or the scores of others.
Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Fundamentals. It takes time to train your brain.
Only go as fast as you can and still stay accurate.
Think about where your crosshair was when the trigger breaks...That alone can teach you so much.
Always try to be build a solid front and rear support (As much as possible). Watch how others do it who are continually successful.
Learn to be content with "wobble" to a degree. Learn how much wobble you can have and still make hits.
The speed will come with repetition, and learning little tricks of trade through watching and taking with others.
Don't be afraid to be different how you approach things/Think outside the box.

How do you plan to approach your distance and wind?

I’ve been paying close attention to how many graduations of the crosshairs the target covers to judge range, and drawing little sketches of what it looks like. In a small notebook.

This may sound funny to some but I walk off a little by myself with a handful of dry grass. The angle the grass takes to the ground seems very close to the imaginary windage tree I put on the crosshairs in my head. It’s not scientific at all. I’m not sure if wind meters or ranging equipment can be used. I assumed not.

I probably won’t have time every shot, but I’ve always slowed my heart, take a deep breath, let half out and break the shot between heartbeats.
The half-breath method is how I was taught when I was young.

Are you practicing on your own, or do you have someone who can lend a little time to help? One of the things I was taught for shooting AR's was called a dime and washer drill. For that, you hang a plastic washer on the end of the barrel, and balance the flat of a dime, or other coin on the washer. The objective of the shooter is to take off the safety and dry-fire without the dime falling off the washer. I guess technically you don't need two people, but it really helps to have someone else setting up (or resetting) the dime.

*Edited for spelling*

I’ve been paying close attention to how many graduations of the crosshairs the target covers to judge range, and drawing little sketches of what it looks like. In a small notebook.

This may sound funny to some but I walk off a little by myself with a handful of dry grass. The angle the grass takes to the ground seems very close to the imaginary windage tree I put on the crosshairs in my head. It’s not scientific at all. I’m not sure if wind meters or ranging equipment can be used. I assumed not.
Does your discipline not let you know the ranges?
Do you have to guess the distance?
Will you know the size of the targets ahead of time

I have been shooting known ranges, and taking special note of the hash marks that will bracket the target. I’ll make notes of it and next time out I’ll set targets at unknown ranges comparing them to known ranges elevation and windage. It’s actually been helping

The targets in PRS matches are both known and unknown ranges. I’ve been comparing unknown with known and making note of holdover, windage and impact..

Back