Gift Rifle Purchase

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Anyone have any input about the Mosberg rifles?? Reason I ask is, I'm thinking about getting either the ATR or 4x4 model in 30-06 for my uncle. Kind of a little pay back for letting me join the hunting group and so on. Let me know what you think, and cost is a huge factor.

I do not know much about the Mossberg but if cost is a factor look hard at the Savage/Stevens.

Along with the Stevens model, take a look see at the new Marlin XL7 as well. The MSRP is $326................You can go to shootingtimes.com and under the "long gun" section, read a very nice several page article on Marlin`s new bolt rifle. For the money it looks like a real good buy!

There was a serious accident recently with a Mossberg ATR. The bolt body turned but the locking lugs did not.

The rifle fired and the bolt came back.

Sorry to have to tell this.

Please consider a Savage and do not purchase the Mosberg. My son-in-law bought one against my advice and he has already got ride of it. It is not a well made or designed rifle and is not put together that well either. My son-in-Law had issues with the safety of all things. Get a Savage as POP said if it is an money issue.

Thanks for the info on the Mossbergs. Rest assured, I will NOT be purchasing a Mossberg. I am however looking at the Marlin XL 7. I have looked at the Savage American Classic model and have not ruled out buying a Savage. As I mentioned, cost is a big factor, but I'll not sacrifice safety especially if I buying it as a gift.

Richracer1":30pf1nyf said:
Thanks for the info on the Mossbergs. Rest assured, I will NOT be purchasing a Mossberg. I am however looking at the Marlin XL 7. I have looked at the Savage American Classic model and have not ruled out buying a Savage. As I mentioned, cost is a big factor, but I'll not sacrifice safety especially if I buying it as a gift.
........................I`d stay away from the Mossbergs!.......I know that it is a matter of your personal preference, but I find the Marlin XL7s more attractive than the Savage/Stevens Model 200s with those grey stocks!....I guess I`m partial to black stocks. IMO, they look richer and more attractive.

WIth Savage package guns as cheap as they are and the quality and accuracy as good as they are they seem the natural choice. Except for the cheaper stock they are still the 110 action which has been out shooting Remington and Winchester for about a hundred years.
Good luck on whatever you choose, I'm sure he'll appreciat it.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Well, I've added a Weatherby Vanguard package deal, Rem 770 to the list of possibles. I'm a little skeptic about the 770, anyone have one that can comment?

And yes, I changed to topic heading to better reflect the subject.

Another vote for the Vanguard (which uses a forged Howa action). They are another inexpensive rifle that works.

jim

Since it appears that your price point is increasing somewhat from the Mossberg, Stevens and Marlin XL7, I`ll also suggest the base Vanguard synthetic as well!..........That Howa action that Weatherby uses on their Vanguards (same as the Howa M1500`s) is one smoooooth, very strong and reliable action!..............However on that Vanguard rifle/scope package, which is still a great deal for the money, if I`m not mistaken, they include the Bushnell Banner scopes, which depending on your uncle`s needs, he may wish to upgrade later to a better scope!.........But as a gift, that rifle/scope pkg. is an excellent one!

Every one, thank you for your inputs. I put in my order for the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 30-06. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if for some reason my uncle doesn't want it, I'll have a nice 06.
:)
Rich

Richracer1, you will not be sorry for your choice. I have one in 30-06, liked it so much bought one in 300wsm. Both shoot under moa.

Richracer1":3rp3yfsi said:
Every one, thank you for your inputs. I put in my order for the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 30-06. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if for some reason my uncle doesn't want it, I'll have a nice 06.
Rich
....................Well I`d say that the Vanguard Sporter is a pretty good up-grade from the Mossberg or the Marlin XL7. Your budget had a change of heart?.....Very easy to do!

Big Squeeze":f91rumee said:
Richracer1":f91rumee said:
Rich
....................Well I`d say that the Vanguard Sporter is a pretty good up-grade from the Mossberg or the Marlin XL7. Your budget had a change of heart?.....Very easy to do!

Yeah, well, I really don't know what he thinks of plastic/composite/fiberglass stocks. This sporter was not much more than the Savage 111GNCS (no sights). I could have gone either way, so, of my choices, I took the high road so to speak. To me, it's worth the extra cash I put out for it.

Back