Give me the low down

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
My buddy is buying the rem m700 sps varmint in 243. He gave me full control over optics, trigger work and load development. I love having friends that don't know how to do their own work. It means I get to play without spending the money to do it! Anyway I was looking to the vortex viper 3.5-10x50 with the dead hold reticle. Most shots will be under 500 yards. Should I go with an aftermarket trigger or stick with factory. Also I love Nosler ballistic tips so that's probably what I'm gonna go with for a bullet. Please give me your opinions and any good loads that you have worked up.

I am a Leupold fan so that is what I would go with but some of the fellas here speak highly of Vortex optics.
The Remington triggers are easy to work on and you should have no trouble getting a crisp 2.5-3 lb break with no creep. I would work with the factory trigger and save the money for optics.

Most 243's are accurate. I have had excellent accuracy with hte 70 gr bullets loaded with IMR 4895. For 90-100 gr bullets, IMR 4350 really shines.

JD338

I wouldnt buy a trigger until I was totally disatisfied with the factory one. As long as it is not an old stock rifle it should have teh externally adjustable trigger if not the previous trigger is easy to adjust also.

As for the glass I would definately opt for more magnification at least a 12x if not 14 and ditch the 50mm. A rifle like that probably wont see too much low light conditions and even then teh 50 mm is marginally better if it is at all.

I would highly reccomend a set of talley lightweight rings and bases too!

Here's a link to an excellent article on handloading for the .243 Win:

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

I like the various 70 - 75 gr bullets for varminting, and the 95 gr Ballistic Tip for deer.

Agree about the 50mm scope - unless the rifle is going to be used in very low light conditions, no need for that big of an objective, and a 40mm scope can be mounted lower.

Guy

I'd definite go with a 40-42 mm objective. The Vortex Viper is an impressive piece of glass. Leupold is certainly king of American made glass. The fellows are correct concerning the trigger. Only if the factory trigger is trashed would I replace it with an after market setup.

I once upon a time had a Rem 700 Varmint in 243 that I groundhog hunting with. I started out with the 75 gr Nosler solid base bullet and then they stopped making it and went to the 70 gr ballistic tip. With the same load of 44.6 grs IMR 4350, Rem case and Fed 310M primer it was a tack driver and would turn a groundhog inside out. I too would opt for more power on the scope than 10X for shots at varmints 300 to 500 yards. You can only hit what you can see.

1Shot":1j4uxb5a said:
I once upon a time had a Rem 700 Varmint in 243 that I groundhog hunting with. I started out with the 75 gr Nosler solid base bullet and then they stopped making it and went to the 70 gr ballistic tip. With the same load of 44.6 grs IMR 4350, Rem case and Fed 310M primer it was a tack driver and would turn a groundhog inside out. I too would opt for more power on the scope than 10X for shots at varmints 300 to 500 yards. You can only hit what you can see.

Thanks I've been looking at their 6-24's as well

I think the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm would be just about perfect. :wink:

JD338

I like the looks of the new Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40 w/mil dot and target knobs, 1/4" clicks, Adjustable objective, 1" tube. I'm a fan of the vari x II, 6-18s with target knobs, but this scope is better with the added bonus of the mildot reticle, and upgraded glass.

As for loads, I am in the middle of work up on another 243 as well. Mine is mainly a coyote rifle so I like the 70-75g weight to keep the speed up as well as a little bit of BC. I've found an amazingly accurate with AA4350/70g NBT at 45g but its a little on the slow side for me to stick with it, 3300fps, but its been shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA. Bought some H4350 as thats the powder Id like it to shoot and stick with. Extreme powders are nice due to not being temp sensitive, plus they are pretty good lot to lot consistency, and its not a bad powder for accuracy/velocity in this case. Minimal testing showed it will shoot .8" at 47-47.5g of H4350/70g NBT at 3550-3600fps, both of the loads produced 2 touching with a flyer, so it definately wants to shoot. There are a TON of powders that work well in the 243, pretty endless really...

I wouldn't waste my money on an aftermarket trigger unless you cant get the factory adjusted down to around 2.5# or so. The right gunsmith can make most 700 triggers break like glass at around 2#

I highly recommend the Viper series of vortex scope.

As for as reloading for the 243 if varmiting I would go with the 70 BT and big game with the 90 AB 95 BT/PT 100 PT. The 4350 series powders will do great.

Back