Gobblers not Gobblin’

I went out again this morning and heard at least 3 different gobblers nearby. I must have heard over 100 gobbles, single gobbles, double gobbles, and even a triple gobble. However, I couldn't get a single tom to come into sight even though they were responding aggressively to my calling. Sometimes they were within 100 yards, but I never saw them. They were on three sides, north, west, and south of me. A hen came out and checked out things. She got about 35 yards from me and then slowly meandered away.

I went out again this morning and heard at least 3 different gobblers nearby. I must have heard over 100 gobbles, single gobbles, double gobbles, and even a triple gobble. However, I couldn't get a single tom to come into sight even though they were responding aggressively to my calling. Sometimes they were within 100 yards, but I never saw them. They were on three sides, north, west, and south of me. A hen came out and checked out things. She got about 35 yards from me and then slowly meandered away.
If they're henned-up, they'll instinctively respond with a gobble, but man it's tough to pull them away from hen/s. Sometimes cutting and aggressively talking to the hens will raise the girl's curiosity to see what "she's" so excited about ,and the gobbler will follow the hens in, but more often than not, that tactic is a hail Mary that falls flat. My brother likes to sound like a real young Jake moving in on his hens using a gobble shaker, and sometimes that'll pizz off the big boy to come run the kid off. Although I avoid at all costs sounding like a gobbler on public land. Grandpaw took 2 shots from a 12 gauge back in '69 while turkey hunting. He died before they could get him out.

If they're henned-up, they'll instinctively respond with a gobble, but man it's tough to pull them away from hen/s. Sometimes cutting and aggressively talking to the hens will raise the girl's curiosity to see what "she's" so excited about ,and the gobbler will follow the hens in, but more often than not, that tactic is a hail Mary that falls flat. My brother likes to sound like a real young Jake moving in on his hens using a gobble shaker, and sometimes that'll pizz off the big boy to come run the kid off. Although I avoid at all costs sounding like a gobbler on public land. Grandpaw took 2 shots from a 12 gauge back in '69 while turkey hunting. He died before they could get him out.
I am sorry about your Grandfather. I understand your hesitancy in using a gobble call. I don't like to use them and I don't have that history behind me. Dan

I am sorry about your Grandfather. I understand your hesitancy in using a gobble call. I don't like to use them and I don't have that history behind me. Dan
Look up Preston Pittman, he’s a champion natural voice caller( doesn’t use a call, just his voice) his gobble is unbelievably realistic. There’s an interview where he says he’s been shot 2x over his life.

Before season began and right before season ended, I heard some gobbles, but didn't get anything in. I've got an amazing call a certain someone made up for me, so I credit that with what I did hear. I have seen a lot of hens this year, which I take as a good sign for next years' harvest. In fact, I almost hit one yesterday (Saturday) morning with my car as it flew across the road real low, to land in an adjacent field.

loud calling has hung up more gobblers than anything else. when they answer you the second time, tone it down to verry soft calling and not much of it, if a turkey is gobbling a bunch, he ain't moving.

my last morning of hunting, I had 6 gobblers within 60 yards from calling very little and very low!

Went yesterday with my son Ben. He heard one way off gobble couple of times and heard couple of clucks with a raspy yelp thought might be a jake. We set up and called some, but nothing showed up. Saw where turkeys had flipped, scratched cow piles and 1 hen walking back to the truck. I'm done for this spring. Time to go fishing :D Dan.

out of tags but got up this morn, went to a property that I hunt,, set on the porch of a log cabin my boss owns, heard 3 birds gobble a time or two each, saw a hen feeding in the field early and a young gobbler about 8:30. Been the best year as far as gobbling and sheer numbers of gobblers for at least 20 years. Seems to be winding down a bit.

Went yesterday with my son Ben. He heard one way off gobble couple of times and heard couple of clucks with a raspy yelp thought might be a jake. We set up and called some, but nothing showed up. Saw where turkeys had flipped, scratched cow piles and 1 hen walking back to the truck. I'm done for this spring. Time to go fishing :D Dan.
Talked to the neighbor of my cousin's farm and he told me after we were there Friday that a big gobbler was gobbling and strutting at the old barn lot the next morning. Said he hasn't heard or seen him since. That's hunting sometimes. Dan.

Back