Got to test out the Sauer.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Crap. Another 30-06 that doesn't shoot. :x :lol:

Already had it out of the stock to clean it and to look over how it's put together. My Talley rings got here this week, don't have a scope for it, so threw on the only thing I had here which is a 12x Leupold varmint scope. Looks like a fish out of water, but I wanted to run some through it to test it.

Had a couple get on paper and fouler shots first. Had 2 test loads that I've run through a lot of 06's. Those Hornady 180 RN with 56.2 of IMR 4350 loaded .060 off, and 165 Speer btsp's with 57 of IMR 4350, loaded those .055 off.

The Hornady's at 100 yds were not horrible for right out of the gate, but ehh, nothing to write home about, far from tack driving, shot just under inch & 1/4.

I had already planned on shooting the 165's at 200 yds so I went ahead even though the first test at 100 with the Hornady's was nothing special.

One of those targets like I believe MjcMichigan stated about the other week......almost hate to put it up because it seems like you're making it up. First time shooting that load on the first range trip at 200 yds.

I had 5 of those 165's loaded up but I quit at 3 after I seen this. Didn't want to mess it up. Chickened out!! :lol:

ST

You have a shooter right there. Hey your absolute zero and go hunt.
Nice work.

JD338

ShadeTree":1ex39911 said:
I had 5 of those 165's loaded up but I quit at 3 after I seen this. Didn't want to mess it up. Chickened out!! :lol:

Well, I'd hope you wouldn't shoot the others! That group needs to be laminated and carried in your wallet. Who cares if you ever shoot another group! :lol:

Seriously, such groups can give a serious rifle crank the vapors.

DrMike":33uyndm6 said:
ShadeTree":33uyndm6 said:

Well, I'd hope you wouldn't shoot the others! That group needs to be laminated and carried in your wallet. Who cares if you ever shoot another group! :lol:

Seriously, such groups can give a serious rifle crank the vapors.

Yeah I can test 5 shot groups any old time, the chances of reproducing another 3 shot group like that at 200 is slim. :grin:

I'll be honest, I can confidently produce ammo that will in turn produce accurate results across a wide range of cartridges, but this type of accuracy is above my skill set and equipment level.

For the most part I run Remington cases and C&C hunting bullets. I don't have a trimming station or use bushing dies, turn necks, etc. I prepare each case by hand. The reality is you're not going to get repeatable match grade accuracy using such methods. I can get results that make me happy, just not like this.

So yes, I wasn't gonna screw that group up going for shots 4 & 5. Might not ever do it again! :lol:

I'll probably take that scope off and put it back on the shelf, take the rifle back out of the stock and give it a good cleaning and put it away till next spring when I'll work with it. Already got a couple rifles I'm planning on using locked down for hunting season which is coming up fast. I just had to test it out.

It has a wide aluminum bedding block up front that appears to be what locks down the whole system. Has no recoil lug. Has 2 holes in the aluminum block and 2 steel pins protruding out the bottom of the receiver that goes through those 2 holes in the block. A fairly substantial lug bolt hidden underneath the bottom metal, tightens it all down.

I couldn't find much info on it, but being it was on a pretty large aluminum bed, I torqued that lug bolt at 60 inch lbs. The other 2 small bolts that hold the bottom metal in place I torqued at 30, which is probably more than is needed.

An outside the norm system. But it appears to work.

Well that was too easy....might as well get rid of it and find one to tinker with :lol:

Slimfinn":2vcjt206 said:
Well that was too easy....might as well get rid of it and find one to tinker with :lol:

Yeah, I could advertise it with that target and make some money. :mrgreen: Nah, money is just paper that comes and goes, I'd rather have the rifle.

Along with the 165's, I'll test it this spring with 150's, maybe try those 180 RN at like .100 off, and also do some experimenting with 180 spitzers.

I got plenty of primers, bullets, and powder.......ole slidin hidin biden isn't gonna ruin any of my days. As long as the world keeps turning I'm gonna hear this rifle go boom a whole lot of times before I eventually hang it up.

Thanks all. Just jumped back on here and caught something that I have wrong. Sometimes my brain doesn't say or write down what I know.

Just an FYI on this load. The bullets are what I wrote in the description, not what I have wrote on the target. It's 165 Speer BTSP's, not Hot Cor's. Don't have any 165 HC's, never have.

Must of been giddy looking at the results when I wrote the info on the target. I see I also misspelled Sauer. :oops: :lol:

Wow great shooting. I would of stopped at three shots too lol. That is a beautiful rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":3jmijzht said:
Wow great shooting. I would of stopped at three shots too lol. That is a beautiful rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks bud. I'll see what it does with some 5 shot strings this spring.

Those 3 shots measure .600 to the outside, so .292 CTC. Basically 1/4" group at 200 yds. Crazy, lol. If it even just hangs around 1.5" at 200 in later tests, I'll be completely happy.

Understatement- “But it appears to work”

I should say so and easy on the eyes as well. Good looking rifle and excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shade, I've never in my 70 years on this planet, had a rifle with grain like that in the stock. And it shoots? :shock:

Kevin

A beautiful rifle like that, that shoots that well...
You got a winner there!
I think I would be stealing a suitable scope from another rifle and making some more loads up so that I could hunt with it this year!
No animal that you could shoot with that '06 and that 165 gr Speer is going to complain or know the difference that it wasn't a 180 gr RN!
Enjoy!

Thanks fella's.

cha":145ihmf2 said:
Shade, I've never in my 70 years on this planet, had a rifle with grain like that in the stock. And it shoots? :shock:

Kevin

Thank you. It at least shot like a laser with this load, the one time I've shot it. Good Lord smiled on me I believe with this purchase. Looks like one I'll be glad to have and keep.

Blkram":145ihmf2 said:
A beautiful rifle like that, that shoots that well...
You got a winner there!
I think I would be stealing a suitable scope from another rifle and making some more loads up so that I could hunt with it this year!
No animal that you could shoot with that '06 and that 165 gr Speer is going to complain or know the difference that it wasn't a 180 gr RN!
Enjoy!

I hear ya, it's tempting for sure! Already removed the scope, cleaned the rifle all up inside and out, removed the bolt and de-cocked it, and packed everything away in the box it came in.

No need to rush it, I got plenty of capable rifles sitting on ready that I already figured on using this yr. It will make a fun project to look forward to testing on different bullets next spring and will be in the lineup for next yr. Appears to be a great rifle. Should be fun!!

cha":psq3wn89 said:

Kevin
Is it one of the laser-grain stocks? Sauer uses them with some rifles.
But I have to say: if it is, they did it right.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":2nmk6yyh said:
cha":2nmk6yyh said:

Kevin
Is it one of the laser-grain stocks? Sauer uses them with some rifles.
But I have to say: if it is, they did it right.

I think it's laser cut checkering, but the wood is the wood. From what I found on it the 101 classic came standard with a Grade 1 walnut stock. Then there was a 101 select that had options for higher grade wood.

Not sure if this is a select stock that got put on a classic to use for displays at shows or what, but I can't find a picture of a 101 classic on the internet with wood anywhere close to this one.

Ok.
I am not sure on which one's they use it, but on some they "burn" in the beautiful grain structure with a laser.

Or perhaps a select stocked rifle got put in a box marked as classic, and that's how it was sold. Gun was not technically new. Rifle was sold as having handling marks on it from being used at shows.

I've no clue really. Maybe I'm being tricked at what I'm looking at. But I look at the rifle, and if the grain and feather crotch it exhibits are man made, I sure can't tell it. They're not on the surface but look down deep as part of the wood. Like you said, if it is they done it right.

Back