grade this lumber

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I'm thinking of having a rifle built and using one of these 4 blanks. The rifle will be a 404 Jeffery. Just want your opinion on the quality of wood and suitability for a heavy recoiler. The plan is to use a model 70 action.

A
DSCN5483.jpg

B & C note, due to reflection it is hard to see 'C' clearly...
DSCN5486.jpg

D
DSCN5485.jpg

C again, the opposite side
DSCN5487.jpg

You might not like the answer, but the blandest, D is likely the best choice for a heavy recoiler given clean grain flow from toe to tip. I tend not to work with rifles on that end of the spectrum, so somebody else may have a more knowledgeable opinion of the suitability of the other more interesting pieces. Even in lighter calibers, I tend to select clean flow over character for a working gun.

A may also be a strong possibility. Will make an absolutely beautiful stock, but I really can't see the grain flow from the picture, there's too much figure! It may be true from toe to tip. The other 2 appear to have possible weak points around the wrist.

They're all ok. I like B and C, lean to B.
It's not a common practice on stocks but we've done it on reelseats for quite a while, and that's have the wood impregnated or stabilized.(I like turned wood inserts on nice fly rods :grin: ) They're a few places that do it and it does add a little weight. Also needs to be kilned or dried for a month or so but will prevent moisture absorption or at least minimize it. Just an idea. You can oil or varnish right over it.

Dwh7271":2awxe02s said:
It's not a common practice on stocks but we've done it on reelseats for quite a while, and that's have the wood impregnated or stabilized.(I like turned wood inserts on nice fly rods :grin: ) They're a few places that do it and it does add a little weight. Also needs to be kilned or dried for a month or so but will prevent moisture absorption or at least minimize it. Just an idea. You can oil or varnish right over it.

+ 1

At first blush I liked C the best, but now believe B might be your best choice, or would be mine at least.

Are these the 4 you narrowed it down to or are these the four he has in stock.

Europe":ho6uwihk said:
Dwh7271":ho6uwihk said:

+ 1

At first blush I liked C the best, but now believe B might be your best choice, or would be mine at least.

Are these the 4 you narrowed it down to or are these the four he has in stock.

He has a few others but out of them these 4 were the best of what he has left. They all look good to me for sure and I have been looking at B, C and even D. "D" would really finish out well but I still go back to C because it will show a lot more detail when properly finished. So would B for that matter...........

My pick would be B. D might be better for a heavy recoiling rifle but it looks to have some voids.

I've never seen anything like 'A'. Love it! But, what is it ? I'm thinking a Primo 'Lope rifle....but probably could never afford the blank, let along all the work involved.

Gunner46":3ks3hy1t said:
I've never seen anything like 'A'. Love it! But, what is it ? I'm thinking a Primo 'Lope rifle....but probably could never afford the blank, let along all the work involved.

From the rifle builder himself

"Blank "A" is an exhibition grade shell flame (also called quilted but quilted is a generalized term) maple wood stock. I think it was called a rock maple . It is very heavy and dense. "

And it would go well in the tall grasses of the west in late summer! The only issue would be belly crawling with that rifle. Not sure I would do it, even for a lope. :>)

Personally I would avoid B, although it is a pretty chunk of wood. I have seen several posts in various forums of stocks that have broken right at the magazine box with grain like that one. I would want long straight grain for a cartridge like that one.

I would choose the one that you like, not the one we like, unless your going to give me that rifle when it is finished, in that case use "B"

I'm inclined to agree with polaris. We are talking about a rifle with substantial recoil after all.
Paul B.

Yeah Dr Mike, you have to watch that girl lol

pjgunner, this particular caliber is a favorite in Africa because of its lack of recoil, at least in comparison to other Africa favorites. 416 rigby, 416 Weatherby, 458 winchester, 458 Lott and the 450/400. the 404 is closer to the 375 H & H which of course certainly has more recoil than the 30-06. I always worry about making a post such as this one, as I fear that some will feel I am being discourteous to Mr Gunner and believe me that is not my intent sir.

Charles, I already gave you my thoughts at LEL. As an aside and joking with you charles, you are a gluten for punishment, as from memory didn't you have a bad experience the last time you hired someone to make you a rifle lol

Best Regards

Jamila

It was an experience filled with both good and bad. In the end it was good like I knew it would be. And without going into too much detail, the experience and all the "behind the scenes" was well worth it. It was not exactly what was expected but after finished it printed this @ 100 yards

DSCN3473.jpg

Under 2"@ 300 yards
DSCN3764.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

DSCN2874.jpg

DSCN3498.jpg

Good looking rifle, Charles. I seem to recognize that box of brass. I have quite a few setting on my loading shelves.

it wasn't easy but the final result is pretty darn sweet Charles

Do you regret the 9.3 x 64 ? would you have gone a different way if you had it to do over again. ? Was you unable to get the Northforks to work, so went with Nosler ? My mum loves the 64, a lot of folks like the 62 but she likes the 64, as you know lol Nice shooting !

Best regards

Jamila

I definitely enjoy the 9.3X64. It shoots 300 grain A-Frames very well. I'm packing 250 grain ABs most of the time, however. I'm quite pleased with mine.

Doc,

I believe you helped me acquire that brass or at least pointed me in the right direction as to where to get it.

Jamila,

Regret the 9.3x64? Not one bit! In hindsight I would have done a few things differently but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20..............

Never tried any North Forks in that rifle. It was always destined to shoot the 250 grain AB's for deer/elk. Now, if I ever get lucky enough to go after bear or anything mean I would use the NF's or maybe som GS custom bullets some sweet person sent me! :>)

The NF's were for the Dallas Rifle. And yes, they shoot lights out!

To be clear, I love the 9.3x64! I think it to be one of the most underappreciated cartridges out there and am very pleased in how it finally turned out. Even though the build had way too many downs instead of ups it did end on a very good note, shoots well and has put a nice buck on the wall. I do have better plans for it than just that though. In 2018 it will go on an elk hunt.

One of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned had a laminated wood stock from Fajen! Hell for stout and took bedding fantastically well! It was an NRA Match Rifle and sent lots of rounds downrange!

Back