great .308.

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
I was a little distressed last time I took my sweet little kimber .308 out for a spin.
She was not near as good as she had been since i bought her.
I think I poseted here that I discoverd my cleaning had not been up to par. So I spent about 45 minites scrubbing the bore.
Took it out to my favorite spot in the woods yesterday , and after cleaning up targets from some sob who left about 6 of them all over the place, i paced off about 85 yards from my truck to a stump upon witch I hung my targets.
I was happy to see the groups shrink back down to less than an inch.
That was with A Sierra 150 grain flat base over IMR 4064 and I already chronied this load at 2850 ish.
But I also had a load with the same bullet over IMR-3031. I was happy to see that of the 10 I fired 8 were in about an inch. 1 opend the group up to 2 inches and there was one called flyer.
I was suprised to see the 3031 load group printed at the same elevation
but 2 inches right of the 4064 load with the same bullet.
I might have predicted a elevation change but not a windage change.
But the 3031 load was exactly where I want them to be for hunting.
2 inches high at 85 yards is just about right.
before I left I shot 3 Hornady flat base ILs i had left over.
They did .50 exactly.
I am about ready with loading for my next shoot. I just put 10 ,150 grain accubonds on top of 44 grains of IMR 3031, and I think I will try the same powder with some 150 grain E-tips.
...tj3006

Different powders give off different barrel harmonics. That is why you will
sometimes get different POI. Same is true with different brands and weights of bullets.
Let us know how she shoots with the AB and E-Tip. Try seating the E-Tip .100" off the lands. :wink:

JD338

Are you going to chronograph your loads this time? I would be interested in your 150gr loads over 3031. Glad she is shooting again for you. My Kimber Montana 06 was a fine shooter also. Let us know how the groups go and what velocities you are getting. Good luck and good shooting.

I understand
that different powderrs or any componant will cause a shift in point of impact , but pushing the same bullet at a similer speed , I was suprised to see a 2 inch horizondal change , and yet still a great group.
...tj3006

A suggestion is to shoot the rifle(e)s in a way that will be similar to how they will be when hunting. This infers that I bring more than one rifle to shoot at a time.

Perhaps the most important shot is where the first one hits from a cold barrel. After that I limit big game rifles to three shot groups and let the barrel cool.

I have Kimber Montanas in 308 and 243 and they are primary go to rifles now that I want lighter guns. For the most part mine stay sighted in. I don't switch loads that much or clean the barrel for that matter much.

For decades I have used IMR's 3031 and 4064 with confidence in many cartridges.

Back