GREAT FALLS, MONTANA

WHELENATOR

Beginner
Nov 4, 2004
Looks like I am heading down to Malmstrom AFB, Montana. Some of you guys know where I am heading since a few of you are or were military. It is situated in Great Falls, and so far, I know nothing about Montana except that there's deer, elk and some other critters to hunt for down there. Some of the guys here say the climate is similar to Alaska, but warmer in the summer. I am only going for about a year then retiring and back to Alaska. Can anyone give me some real info concerning hunting opportunities fairly close to GF, and costs since I will be a non-resident? Also, what is the coyote hunting like down there? Can you hunt griz down there yet? I plan on taking my 7 Mag or 7 Wby, the AR-15, and a 35 Whelen, plus my pistols. Can anyone tell me if this is sufficient armament for a year in Montana, or should I take my 375 H&H also? Would I need anything that heavy down there?? What else can you tell me? Thanks for any info guys.

whelenator...........hey, info on Montana from a Canadian yet. I am surprised that as a member of the US Armed Forces you would still be a non-resident when stationed there!

Anyways......you are fairly close to good hunting for whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, elk, black bear. No grizzly season yet, but that could change.
Moose, it's a draw and I imagine your chances in that short of time are slim to none...............but you have those at home, they just aren't the little Shiras variety.

Costs......you won't need a guide, so fuel, etc...usual expenses. Licences will be a little steamy if you actually have to pay non-resident fees, but check into that cause again, I would be shocked if you can't get resident licences when transfered in. The members in our armed forces get a break on that in most provinces.

You should be fine with the firearms you have listed for everything that you can currently hunt. No need for the .375 H&H really, unless you want to use it on elk just to use it. Otherwise the 7mm and 35 Whelen will certainly cover all the bases.

Weather.................yes it will be hotter in summer and the winters can be quite cold, but it is dry cold there and usually not a lot of snow in Great Falls. Make sure you take in the Charlie Russell museum while you are there. It is pretty country. Hope you enjoy your time in Big Sky country.

First off, Thank you for fighting for my Freedom! Don't know much about hunting in Montana, however, I'm sure it will be excellent. Good luck and Thank You, again.

I guess I should have clarified the non-resident thing. I am a resident of Alaska, and get the permanent fund every year. if I claim residency or buy a resident hunting liscence in any other state, it will knock me out of the dividend for that year. it's a dilemma sort of..

Whelenator - no need to risk that Alaska dividend! Good for you.

Montana has some great hunting opportunities. It's not Alaska, but it's pretty darned good. Look at the mulies, whitetail and elk - things that are a little scarce in Alaska. Bunches and bunches of deer in Montana - it's one of those places where I drive very carefully at night to make sure I don't get one with the bumper!

Also some decent pronghorn hunting there. None of those in Alaska! Grab 'em while you can.

Semper Fi, Guy

WHELENATOR,

As a fellow Alaskan also in the Air Force I hope I can shed some light on this for you. First,Montana should still have the "Military Exempt" clause,which means you can still be a resident of Alaska but buy tags at Montana resident cost.Doesnt mean you are a resident of the state,but means you are stationed there for a period of time (30 days,6 months,etc). here in Nebraska,I take my Orders and LES (stating that I am an Alaska resident) to the DNR and get my tags for the price of resident tags. Some times you might have to a bill with you proving that you are in-fact living there (gas,telephone,cable,etc).

Since I was re-stationed here in Nebraska this is what I have done for the last 2 years and I even called the Divident Office in Anchorage to make sure everything was OK and was told it was.

Good luck hunting in Montana,it really is like the "Alaska of the Lower 48" like you have been told.The rifles you plan to take along are very good choices.You probably could get away with just your 7mm Mag and pistols. Dont know if you can hunt with a semi-auto or not now (it's been awhile since I was there).

Again,good luck with your move. Hopefully the next and last one will take me back up to Alaska for good. :grin:

Tim

Congrats on your PCS buddy.
I retired from the USAF 1 Aug 2007 so my home is here FE Warren Cheyenne, WY.

Montana is great.

BTW what do you do?

RemmyTim.................I am glad to hear that there was indeed a way around the resident/non-resident licencing issue for him. I figured there had to be.

Whelenator, you will enjoy your time in Montana. When I go south to hunt Montana is one of my favorite places to visit.

Whelenator, good luck in Montana. That said, I have been hunting Montana for the last 14 years as a non-resident. No, I am not lucky enough to draw a tag every year. The years I don't draw I just pick up an antlerless tag and hunt with Grampa.

You have a huge amount of hunting available to you. Start with the local BLM office, then the Forest Service, and don't forget the Block Management program that opens up alot of private land( in certain areas) for the public to hunt.

I am fortunate to have some private land a friend owns that I can hunt but I took my Antelope this year and a Mule deer last year on Block Management.

Sorry I can't be more specific to the Great Falls area, but I have hunted several areas of the state and have yet to find someplace I didn't like.

Lots of good whitetail and mule deer around great falls. There is still an oppurtunity to do some waterfowling around there too.

Non resident tags are kind of expensive, $350 for Deer, $750 for Elk and deer, $1100 for Outfitter sponsored hunts... http://fwp.mt.gov

You'll have to check FWPs website for specifics on the military exemption to see if you qualify.

No grizzly hunting here, you can hunt blackies though, coyote hunting is kinda dismal, you gotta call em in, but the AR should take care of them.

You will need to apply for combo tags in order to hunt as a non res. There are no over the counter tags that I am aware of.

Guys, thanks a lot for all the info, especially the stuff about the liscense issues. It will bear looking into.
Pop, I have been a heavy equipment mechanic my whole career, but have been out of it for a bit. I have several years here in AK as a purchasing guy for our Middle East vehicle fleet, and for the last year, have been working in our commander's support staff... for you non-military guys, that means I am a secretary, nothing glamorous I am afraid. But the pay is still the same, and some days I STILL can't believe they pay me this well for what I do..heh heh..

Whelenator,

My wife and I visited GF in the summer of '06 checking it out. Looks like a pretty good base, and the locals expect it to be there for a while. You should already be acclimatized from Alaska.

Hit the MT game and fish website, and use the Hunt Planner feature to get a feel for things. Be ready to apply for the various draws to get licenses. I did my first hunt there this fall by the way.

jim

I was stationed in GTF for a while my first taste of military was the Air guard as a full timer. Friendship, hard work ethics honesty, they had me all messed up before I joined the Army.
Any way mule deer by the hundreds no joke. White tail near all rivers I had very good luck near Ft Benton with white tail. If you drive around and find a good place, show up to the farmer in the summer and talk to him maybe trade a day of work and you have just made a friend for life. Deer are almost considered pest. This is the only time in my life where I would take 600yrd shots at deer.
The Bob Marshall Wilderness is a wonderful place and if you can get a good horse to carry your elk out you have found one of the nicest places to hunt near Great Falls. Oh the wind does blow up their 30mph average that part realy sucks. I was more cold in Great Falls working on the flight line than I ever was in Kotzebue so I hope you have an inside job. During the off season there are ground hogs. Make sure when you talk to the ranchers tell them your in the military and from Alaska and no you have never been to Calif. When you get there it is realy flat but with a little travel you can get to some nice places.

WHELENATOR":1r0muozu said:
Looks like I am heading down to Malmstrom AFB, Montana. Some of you guys know where I am heading since a few of you are or were military. It is situated in Great Falls, and so far, I know nothing about Montana except that there's deer, elk and some other critters to hunt for down there. Some of the guys here say the climate is similar to Alaska, but warmer in the summer. I am only going for about a year then retiring and back to Alaska. Can anyone give me some real info concerning hunting opportunities fairly close to GF, and costs since I will be a non-resident? Also, what is the coyote hunting like down there? Can you hunt griz down there yet? I plan on taking my 7 Mag or 7 Wby, the AR-15, and a 35 Whelen, plus my pistols. Can anyone tell me if this is sufficient armament for a year in Montana, or should I take my 375 H&H also? Would I need anything that heavy down there?? What else can you tell me? Thanks for any info guys.

I am whelen fan and would like to hear how well it works for alaskan big game and why you chose it. Thank you for defending us.

Guys, again, thanks for all the replies. It looks like now I am in the assignment bucket. I will get picked out of 2 choices, Montana, and FE Warren. I guess either would be ok, but I'm holding out for Montana.

Guys, I wanted to drop a line with an update. they finally chose my assignment and it is in fact Montana. I can't wait, even though I love Alaska. My wife and i are really looking forward to this trip. Even the drive down there should be neat. We plan to see a lot of stuff in Canada on the way down. Can any of you Canadians recommend any places to stop and visit, how about lake trout fishing, even guided? I would love to get a nice rainbow or laker. looking for a trophy...

Well, I have decided on my Montana "arsenal".
35 Whelen, 225 Barnes TSX 2570 FPS
7 Rem Mag, 160 Accubonds, 3000 FPS, 150 Ballistic Tips 3200 FPS
Bushmaster AR-15, 60 grain V-Max's, 60 grain Partitions for deer just in case
Glock 23, 40 S&W for social affairs, Winchester 180 SXT's
Ruger Bisley SS 45 Colt 5.5 inch
Possibly others...still planning..
Anyone offer any further advice for accessing land in Montana?

thanks for all replies so far. I am just stoked!

First, let me say thank you for doing what you do ...so I and others can continue doing what we do!. I've hunted Montana several times and always as a non-rersident. What you will find out is that regardless of what you hunt, or when you hunt it in Montana you have that wonderful opportunity to be in that "Big Sky" Country. If you do have the fortune and luck to kill an animal (all game animals I consider a trophy) make sure to take plenty of photos and send to us guys that are land-locked down here in Texas. Again God Bless you and best of luck on your relocation! You will enjoy your time in Montana!

GRT338

Back