Guiding rifle

Sounds great Mike. My buddy says all the guides are using them in SE Alaska and all seam to have nothing but praise for them. Tom says they seam to be pretty close to the old Bitteroot bullets in performance [that I thought was the best bullet I ever used in my old 375 H&H ] when the went away I got involved with the Swifts and had stellar luck with them as well. I will be over the moon if they perform as well as those two and couldnt ask for anything better! I have a bunch of 250 Nosler PT that Scotty sent me I have loaded up as well. I am probably going to just run 225 BT for hunting stuff the size of a goat or black bear , but its always nice to have some good stuff in your pocket, if all of a sudden you get yourself into a situation that is hard to talk your way out of! I used to have a box of 250gr Barnes bullets loaded up fairly warm and luged a few around for years when I was packing sheep meat down the hills in the Brooks Range and many times had mountain grizzleys follow me for long distances. Usually younger males were the boldest and I had to fire warning shots more than once but actually never did have to flatten one in that situation. It did boost my confidence having them compared to a 150gr Sierra BT we used to shoot sheep with !!!!!!!!! :p

They do seem similar to the Bitterroot bullets. I have one bag of 160 grain, 7mm Bitterroots hanging around as well. I couldn't bring myself to use them as they are the last I have. They are marked $4.50 for 25--and that is Canadian prices! I may break down and work up a load for my 7mm RM...just 'cause. I must say that my conclusion on the similarity is deduced, as I have never been able to recover a 250 grain .358 from my .356.

It would be cool to see one of the Kodiaks shot into jugs Earle! Line em up and lets see what they do. Sound some some beasts of bullets.

How many do you think I should start with Scottman................... :twisted:
do you guys use moonshine jugs or just milkjugs?????? :wink:

35 Whelen":18g9ww69 said:
How many do you think I should start with Scottman................... :twisted:
do you guys use moonshine jugs or just milkjugs?????? :wink:

Earle, I would line 8 milk jugs back to back.. Heck, I might go ten if you they are that good, just to be on the safe side!

I have been on several guided hunts, mostly paired with another hunter whom I did not know, had never met, from a different state and part of the country. My reason for hiring a guide was for hunting area access and local knowledge of game location and demographics. The couple of guided hunts that I had planned with my dad and another hunting friend did not happen because of work, medical stuff and other family issues. I did have one guided deer hunt on Anticosti with my dad which I have fond memories of. The guide was with my dad the entire time which was appropriate because he had heart trouble.

All of my guided hunting has been for non-dangerous game and almost all of my guides carried .300 Win Mags except in Quebec where they carried Rem. pump .30-06's. The hunters that I was teamed with either shot the first animal they saw or missed several more before connecting. This meant that I went off mostly by myself and did my thing after the first day, unless the other guy was through early. I scored on every hunt but the last one. I used either a 7mm Mag or .300 H&H mag for most guided trips except for hunting elk with a .338 WM.

I have had one last guided hunt where I was one-on-one guided for 7 days during and after in a blizzard in the Wyoming Big Horn range in 3 feet of snow on foot and horseback and never saw a legal horned animal, except Shiras moose. They all migrated down in the heavy snow out of our area. Good guide though and I enjoyed his company. He earned his money on that trip at 10,000 feet and we covered the entire upper Little Bighorn basin.

The first thing that I always did at hunting camp or before was sighting check my rifle with the guide present. My shooting was not an issue for my guides normally because the guide was off with the other guy most of the time and would only hear my shot from a distance. I cleaned my own game, quartered them, bagged them, dragged em were I could find them and showed up at his truck or the horse with a liver and heart bag. Most guides with another guy to watch, liked my approach because it made their life simpler.

I mostly used guides for trophy mule deer hunting. I never got one big enough to get really excited about but I killed lots of deer anyway. I would not, could not, afford the Apache or Deseret Ranch trophy fees and hunted high and hard instead. I hunted deer high and hard for more than 50 years and pretty much figured out mule deer hunting myself although I was always listening to the guide. The guide was my ticket onto the ranch properties.

Returning to the theme of this post, I'm reading "Ask the Grizzly/Brown Bear Guides" by J. Y. Jones. I found it interesting reading his interviews with three guides for interior Canada grizzlies. Darwin Cary uses either a .375 or a .338. Ron Fleming states that most of the time he carries his .30-06. Chris Widrig uses a .45-70 with Buffalo Bore handloaded bullets. Fascinating stuff.

Given the choice, I'd take the .375, but either one will get the task accomplished.

I have found the Perfect guiding-protection close in bear rifle for me ! - The Savage 116 Alaska Bear Hunter - syn stock - stainless steel - 18 " h-barrel - metal sights - accu trigger and only 7.5 lbs avail in 338 Win or the 375 Ruger - my choice would be the 375 Ruger using a 300 gr Partition or Swift Aframe bullet ! JMHO

Cheers RJ :grin:

Rem Jim":1ud163i5 said:
my choice would be the 375 Ruger

Never thought I would hear you sat that Jim, you had better not tell your 375 H&H :) Better not let Tb and Gates see this :lol:

Seriously though that or the 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter would be a great choice for a guiding rifle in either the 338 WM or 375 Ruger like you said.

gerry":vgwb337g said:
Rem Jim":vgwb337g said:
my choice would be the 375 Ruger

Never thought I would hear you sat that Jim, you had better not tell your 375 H&H :) Better not let Tb and Gates see this :lol:

Seriously though that or the 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter would be a great choice for a guiding rifle in either the 338 WM or 375 Ruger like you said.

Yea i like the 375 Ruger - just not gonna let them know it ! Besides you cannot get a H&H in the savage ! Its all Good ! LOL

Cheers RJ :)

I won't tell Jim, both the 375's are good :) Have to say now that new 300 gr AccuBond is out the 338 WM is looking better all the time as a bear stopper.

gerry":2esnwnot said:
I won't tell Jim, both the 375's are good :) Have to say now that new 300 gr AccuBond is out the 338 WM is looking better all the time as a bear stopper.

I will be trying them when I can find some. Got a pretty good idea where to start already, so hopefully I can get some.. I had a real good load using the 275 Speer Hot Core. Ran 2650 out of my rifle and shot excellent. It went 8 or 9 jugs if I remember correctly. I stocked up on them for future use...

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and imputs. Never thought the topic would go this far. There are so many different ways of getting the right gun for the right job. I talked to my dad and he dosent not plan on doing and long range shooting its more for protecting himself and people that come on the trail ride. Hes got his eyes set on the Marlin Guide rifle. I was at a gun show the other weekend and i could of bought a brand new one for $675 and the guy claim it was one of the last guns the Marlin built in America. I am not to sure if he was tell the truth or he was pulling my leg. But I think we all can say we have learned something from this post on guiding rifles.

Unless their web site is hopelessly out-of-date, Marlin is still building Guide Guns. Perhaps the man meant that it was built prior to Marlin being "rescued" by Remington and Cerberus Capital Management.

BigT3006":2vuhkoll said:
Thanks guys for the advice and ideas for my 30-338. Now i got another question my dad is planning on guiding in the Rockey Mountains up by Fort Saint John B.C, he will be on horse back so he needs it to be light but have enough punch to take down a couger to grizzey bear. I have ask some people and what has been recomnded is 45-70 govt and a marlin guide rifle. I would like to know what you guys think of that option or what else is out there.

Bullets matter far more than headstamps,S/S trumps C/M and turnbolt camming leverage trumps trombones,self-shuckers and levers.

Given the context of the query,it's safe to state he doesn't shoot much.

Go 308 Kimber Montana and stay with upper echelon projectiles,in regards to integrity...which abounds in Factory Fodder anymore.

Hint.

Back