Guiding rifle

Here is some interesting food for thought . Ponder on this .
After recently being in SE Alaska on a Goat Hunt in some of the worst weather conditions I have ever been involved with . I spent some time on a 50ft boat anchored up in a harbor near Admiralty Isle. Guiding in SE Alaska has turned into something very different than how we operated in Interior Alaska for the nearly 30 years I guided up there. The younger guides up there on the coast, have adapted into a style of hunting that sorta took me by surprise. They are literally wading up the feeder creeks, a few hours before dark, and waiting until in gets dark and slowly working there way back down to the coast, with their clients knowing that the older bears will be in the streams by then, working the fall run of Salmon. I imediately noticed they are ALL carrying larger more powerful guns than my era used.
The minimun gun seamed to be in the 375 Ruger sorta horsepower level, and went up from there with fourty something calibers, stuff with huge cases being the norm around the SE area.
They speak of shots that we would never have considered safe or normal. When I was a young buck assistant guide I always remember old "Ward Gay" of Alaska Safari whos experence went back into the 1930s telling us young guys "Never less than Fifty never more than a Hundred yards"

That advise, helped me alot over the years, when combined with some experence, to let me make the call, of weather a bear was 'too close' to the alders,and to let the hunter fire at it; or not. But to think about wading down a salmon stream, in basically pitch dark, to come around a corner and finding a thousand pound plus brown bear in the 10-60 yard sorta seperation from myself and my hunter; seams such a different way of hunting; than what I know of. That I had a huge problem wraping my head around it.
At any rate the guns have gotten a lot larger and more powerful than they used to be 25 years ago, and either the guides are getting braver, or we must not have been thinking far enough out of the box ? But it was an eye opener for sure; and thought some of your guys on here would get a kick outta the info............................ this is not a one off thing . There is a bunch of guides in that area, all hunting off boats, that are using this a "standard pratice" every season to sucessfully harvest brownies and storys of shots under 20 yards are fairly common ???
I dont think I will sell out here and move directly to Petersburg to get a chance to get in on this new style of bear hunting but it certainly raised my eyebrows!
This same style of hunting has been used in SE for years, but the hunters and guides were normally out to the coast; so that they could get loaded into a skiff with some light to head back out to the boat . In todays hunts the guides plan on arriving in the dark and using modern high powered lighting to be able to load up and return to the boat.
I had to wonder, what old Ward would have had to say about all this.......................................

Fascinating. I can see the potential for success is increased. Obviously, the possibility that things can go sour in a hurry are equally exaggerated. Fascinating, is all I can say. Would I try it? When I was younger, perhaps. Now...

I don't guess it is much different than varmit call hunting brown bear in the coastal alders of Kodiak. The miminum entry there seems to be a .375/.416 Mag at 10-30 yards with an aroused bear called in with a varmit call and expectation of easy dinner! That sport is for good shots who have no nerves to jangle.

Earle, that is crazy buddy. I can't imagine jump shooting brown bears! Ducks are one thing, but man, a half a ton of teeth and muscle would up the stakes a little! Great info buddy. Looks like there is still a decent reason for a 416/458 in North America! HA!

I know absolutely nothing of hunting bears. I say that, so that if my next statement seems obtuse or downright ignorant, y'all know I mean no harm.

It sounds like the method described above - wading up bears in the dark - is the lazy way of hunting the big bruins. Scary? Sure. Exciting? For a few minutes, it's crap-your-dadgum-pants exciting, I'm sure. But it doesn't seem to require a lot of "work" in terms of hiking, glassing, and stalking, and it certainly doesn't require as much knowledge of bears and their habits. At least, on the surface, that's what it seems like to me. Maybe this new method of hunting bears is the "easy" way of doing it? The "X-Box" way, if you will, because it doesn't require as much planning, knowledge, and skill as finding them in the daytime on land? Or maybe I'm totally off my rocker?

The biggest problem (other than working up close and personal with such a critter) is what to do with those that don't meet the criterion for shooting. Shoot and release would likely irritate the wildlife officers.

I've heard about this and spoke with a couple of hunters who did one of these hunts this fall.

One reports he'll never do such a stunt again. It's effective, productive and down right dangerous.

He shot an monstrous sow with a .416Rigby at 20'...took 4 to put her down. He realized while packing her off the stream that he'd had no idea she didn't have cubs until after she was down. Fortunately she didn't but it wasn't a plan- it was luck. I can see why these guys are doing this though- brown bear hunting "old school" style is often a couple of weeks in snotty weather without seeing squat. Given what a brown bear hunt costs now days I can understand the financial pressure to put clients on bears but I can't imagine the risk involved to be worth it.

I agree with Dr. Mike- there's no good way to sort out what could or should be shot from what shouldn't.

hodgeman":11akunul said:
I agree with Dr. Mike- there's no good way to sort out what could or should be shot from what shouldn't.

That wouldn't please me as a hunter either. Its different going down after a bear that you have spotted and assessed to be a good bear and when you get down in the tight quarters, then "jump" a different bear. That wouldn't upset me. Purportedly, going down and throwing the dice just doesn't seem like smart hunting.

hodgeman":3eo8beo8 said:
I've heard about this and spoke with a couple of hunters who did one of these hunts this fall.

One reports he'll never do such a stunt again. It's effective, productive and down right dangerous.

He shot an monstrous sow with a .416Rigby at 20'...took 4 to put her down. He realized while packing her off the stream that he'd had no idea she didn't have cubs until after she was down. Fortunately she didn't but it wasn't a plan- it was luck. I can see why these guys are doing this though- brown bear hunting "old school" style is often a couple of weeks in snotty weather without seeing squat. Given what a brown bear hunt costs now days I can understand the financial pressure to put clients on bears but I can't imagine the risk involved to be worth it.

+ 1 this post is spot on.

I also agree with dubyam and his thoughts

However Earle also did not say he agree with this, only reported what was happening, which is true and a good report.

Our son had the opportunity to work for one of these guides and we refused to let him do so.

I wonder if this will change when someone gets shot or mauled or a bear that should not have been shot gets shot ---or all the above. I repeat I agree with dubyam and hodgeman

Intriguing and exciting way to hunt up close on bears! I can also see that more could go wrong than go right for that type of hunting.

I fully understood that Earl was simply giving a report and making no statement concerning his personal assessment. Unless it should be demonstrated otherwise, I question the wisdom of this particular style of hunting. As has been stated, too much can go wrong in too big of a hurry. There is absolutely no time for assessment, and many hunters who are not that experienced in snap shooting are going to discover that the guide has shot his bear while he threw lead in a wild and wooly pattern. Speaking of which, I'm not certain I'd want to be the guide wading ten to sixty feet in front of many (dare I say most) clients.

Some of the guys that I have seen on guided hunts would not make me feel good about being in front of them with a loaded .375 behind me for sure! I can certainly see the ethics of not knowing what is coming being an issue as well, once they come, you are commited, ethics be d*mned.

Well an old buddy of mine I was actually up there with; Was actually doing his first "stint" of this style of hunt; but has years of experence doing it the old fashion way . [We actually had plenty of stuff go wrong in broad daylight!] However I know that his intentions were, that regardless of company policy, on when to start back out, he had no intentions of hunting that late, and got his client a nice bear before it ever got compleatly dark . I thought some of the boys on here, would get a kick outta this post, as it would actually take a pretty steady hand, and a very big heart, to pull this caper off when its that dark............... My biggest concern having shot some of these big fellas over the years, is that I think I would view it like having a problem after dark in the airplane????? What is a problem you may very well be able to handle in daylight can become quite a handfull at nite. A wounded big brown bear, thashing around 20-50 yards in front of you, wounded and ready to kill anything that has hurt them like this, with guns blazing [compleatly distroying what little nite vision you may have had?] as the rifles roar, would seam like a thrill this old cowboy probably aint ready for .....................
So if riding a bull, or jumping off buildings, isnt quite doing it for you, I think this might????
I personally dont know of any caliber including a 460 Weatherby that garantees instant kills on poorly hit Brown Bears ??????
She is high adernalin stuff for sure, I gotta shake my head on this one gang; as I am still trying to get around it??????

I hear you. And for the record, I meant no ill to anyone here with my earlier comments. I've had some guys tell me they want to learn to hunt over the years, and while some are good guys and want to learn how to pattern deer and figure out how to hunt them, there are others who are "X-Box" hunters for sure. The second group all want to be taught how to drive to where the deer are, and shoot from the truck.

I've got to admit, a low light 25 yard shot on a big brownie would be one heck of a rush!

Do recognize the problem though of maybe shooting a sow with cubs, or a boar that wasn't much of a trophy anyway. That isn't what the client is paying for, he wants a shot at a big male brownie...

Interesting way to hunt though. Chumming for bear with clients... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":157r7qa3 said:

Guy

Ok...that's laugh out loud funny right there!

I don't care who you are.

hodgeman":3au8wesy said:
Guy Miner":3au8wesy said:

Guy

Ok...that's laugh out loud funny right there!

I don't care who you are.

I just shot coffee out of nose! That was funny!

dubyam":2zpb5ksm said:
I hear you. And for the record, I meant no ill to anyone here with my earlier comments. I've had some guys tell me they want to learn to hunt over the years, and while some are good guys and want to learn how to pattern deer and figure out how to hunt them, there are others who are "X-Box" hunters for sure. The second group all want to be taught how to drive to where the deer are, and shoot from the truck.

I think hunting TV forwards a way of thinking often which is not "hunting style and technique healthy". Even for the guys that just hunt whitetail locally. These shows give everyone the expectation of walking to a casually chosen tree stand and seeing 14 trophy deer an hour! I have always stalked deer and none of them were that easy! This TV ethic makes every new hunter's hunting expectations be X-Box. I think that TV creates an expectation which is not hunting healthy sometimes. No wonder they think they can pay for instant brown bear and get a big thrill along with it!

Back