Had to Play With the 300 SAUM Again

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
In a previous thread, I mentioned some details about my M700 300SAUM, some basic things like adding a B&C stock, taking the pressure point out, adding it back in, and some load data. It shoots 180gr Hornady's with IMR4831 and the 168TTSX with Magpro really well.

I couldn't stand it. I had to try some R-17, and my main 270WSM still isn't scoped, so why not play around with the oddball 300 Sham-Wow? Besides, I'm recovering from pneumonia and have enough strength to go do stuff now, so why not head to the range?

All previous loads ended up using the Remington 9 1/2M primer for some reason. No other rifle I own uses them in my "pet" loads. After a decent work up in new Remington brass, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with this powder since the groups were all ove an inch and showed the 2-and-1 syndrome.

With the magazine being a little short in the 700's, I didn't have a lot of room for seating depth change. In fact, I started at magazine length, so the only way to go was in. My Magpro load was about .020" shorter than this load, so I thought to myself, "why in the hell didn't I jus start there to begin with?" A question without a reasonable answer, still. So, I made the seating depth change, and did the cardinal sin of making two changes at the same time by changing the primer to a WLR since R-17 isn't a ball powder, and the short fats usually perform well with standard primers.

The first group got rid of the 2-and-1 syndrome, but the nice uniform triangle was still in the 1.5" range. I wasn't too worried since the 64.0 grn charge was the one that showed promise before, and I hadn't shot those yet with the changes made. As I went up in powder charge to the 64gr load, things were just ok still. The first group with the 64gr charge was nice! It was a neat uniform triangle about half the size of the others. "Hmmm," I thought. 64.5 and 65.0 opened it back up again even worse.

The other change I made was to my target. I prefer to shoot at a 2" orange circle on white paper. This gives me the ability to have high contrast, and I find it easier to center the crosshairs on the center of the dot instead of covering a 1" dot. We all have our preferences. This time out, I put 1" black dots on cardboard. It was also very overcast, actually raining by the time I left.

Since the 64gr load was anticipated by me to be the one to take an extra look at, I had loaded 6 more rounds of that charge, just in case. The next 3 had 2 in the same hole and one less than an inch away. I hurried it, but that doesn't mean I through it. The last 3 all felt good. For once it felt like I actually pulled the trigger when the crosshairs were covering the dot. I only got one pic up close of the target. I wanted to show the progression, but it started pouring rain right as I was taking this picture. I packed up quickly and left.

300SAUM168TTSXR17.jpg

I realize that my method of outside minus bullet diameter isn't an exact measurement since the paper flexes, tears, burns or whatever. Add whatever percentage to the group size and call it good, if it makes you happy. :wink: I'm happy with it. Next up, is to confirm and to find a decent enough day to get the chrony out.

That is nearing bragging size. Good account, MG. Great shooting.

Thanks, guys! I'm also wanting to try some Speer Deep Curls since they are on the shelves here locally for around $27 a box, and no sales tax. :)

MG,

It will be good to get a report on the performance of the Deep Curl bullets.

DrMike":fwt8ql3q said:
MG,

It will be good to get a report on the performance of the Deep Curl bullets.

Same here, wanna see some Deep Curls in the jugs MG! Haven't seen many recovered ones yet.

Back