Heart Attack while Hunting

Holy smokes Guy! Glad you’re on the mend but dang, I need you to stick around long enough to congratulate me when I retire!!! Please take care of yourself and if you feel bad again, turn around sooner!!

Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Yes there are priorities...but health and safety should be #1!!!

Of course one of the worst symptoms of a heart attack, is denial! And most of us are too stubborn to admit when we need help...so it is easy to understand wanting that pheasant...for you... and the dog!

On the other hand...
Of course if we have to go...doing what we love to the end may not be such a bad thing.

Downed a pheasant while having a heart attack... Developing some new type of slam? :unsure:

Seriously - good to hear you are on the mend.

Guy, I am sorry to hear about your heart issues, but I am glad you made it through the ordeal. Best wishes for successful treatment and continuing recovery. Dan

Guy, I'm glad to hear you are doing well following your heart attack. I had heart attack while out turkey hunting 23 years ago April 15. It required a double by-pass but have not had an issue since and it hasn't slowed me down, other than I'm now 72. Do what they tell you and don't be afraid to live.

Glad you're doing better and the prognosis is good as well.

One of my best friends had a similar experience many moons ago while bow hunting bear in Canada. He killed his bear while having the symptoms you described, then dressed it, etc. He didn't get any medical attention until he was back home (quite some time later). His doctor was not happy and told him to never do that again. My friend tried to explain that the bear was THERE and he had to act but the doctor wasn't having it. He has had lingering effects from heart muscle damage since.

Ron

Guy- I am so grateful that you are doing better and that things were caught in time! Also grateful for your "virtual friendship" and the experiences and experience you share with us. Wishing you good news and progress in recovery. Praying for your continued health and recovery. CL

Wow, glad you are alright now Guy.

I must say that I'm not sure i would be taking a shot at a pheasant while having a heart attack 👍

Last week, Tuesday, I was hunting pheasants with my adult son at the hunt club where we're members. It makes a good, easy and fun hunt for us a few times a year and really extends the "season." I thoroughly enjoy watching our dog work the birds as well.

Hadn't been feeling on top of the world for two days prior, but figured I was just being old & grumpy. Old and grumpy I may have been, but I missed some warning signs...

We hadn't gone far from the Jeep when I told my son "I don't feel real well, going to need to take it slow." He was mildly surprised since I'm in my mid 60's, he's in his 30's, and I typically out-walk him. So we slowed down. About a quarter mile into our hunt I told him "We need to get back to the Jeep."

Center of my chest felt heavy. Pain in my upper back between the shoulder blades. Short of breath. Sweating profusely. Nausea. Pain radiating up into my jaw...

We turned to head back to the Jeep, it was gradually uphill, 400 - 500 yards away. Not much of a hill. My progress slowed so much! I was just putting one foot in front of the other. My son is a certified EMT. We both knew I was in a bad way. Every time I stopped to rest I'd kneel down and almost instantly felt better each time.

Twice the dog stopped and pointed birds. My son dropped one cleanly with his 28 gauge CZ double. Such a sweet little gun! The dog pointed another, we were moving that way anyway. The bird flushed as we approached and I popped it with the 80+ year old Remington 32 over & under. Two birds now. Looking back, I smile at the thought that I shot a pheasant while I was having a heart attack. Dog retrieved. My son carried both birds.

Stopped often as no exertion meant almost no pain, and I could catch my breath. My son thinks I stopped at least four times in the last 100 yards to the Jeep. He was planning to go get the Jeep and bring it to me, but the conditions were so muddy that we were afraid the Jeep would get stuck out there and then we'd really be in trouble.

I made it to the Jeep. Got the dog, the birds and the guns into the Jeep. John took care of the birds and put them in the cooler then drove us home. Home is very close to the hospital. Then to the ER.

It's amazing how fast things move at the Emergency Room when the admitting folks are told "I think I'm having a heart attack." Yup. Quickly I was being examined and treated. Spent that night in the hospital. Surgery the next day to clear a completely blocked artery and install a stent. Leaving the other, partially blocked artery alone for now.

Another night in the hospital. Lots of tests. Found a couple of small, old blood clots in my lungs. That was kind of scary, but apparently I never even noticed them and they were likely from one of my prior incidents of blood clots in the legs. Dang.

Back home. Lots of new medications to take at least for a while. Back to the doctor's office again to check on things. I'm feeling amazingly well now, a week later. I've been urged to continue with my hiking and with using my rowing machine. No real strenuous workouts for a while though.

Yesterday I walked nearly 4 miles here in town with the dog. Only gained about 200' or so, but noticed that I climbed that elevation back to my home with no problem at all. Nice easy pace, just over 3 mph average.

Am on the way back, but ya, last week was pretty intense, particularly getting back to the Jeep. Glad my son was along. I sometimes hunt alone.

You guys take care of yourselves. Doggone disaster can strike with little warning. The doctors have recommended me for the hospital's cardiac rehab program and think that I'll be able to get back to life as usual. I suspect that they're right.

Regards, Guy
Guy, I experienced my heart attack in July of 2020. I was fortunate in that it was 7AM in the morning and I had just sat down for breakfast. Never had such serious pain before. My wife got me to the ER in six minutes. (hospital was very close) The Doctor told me if I had been out SCUBA diving or Duck Hunting the end results would have been a bit different. I was fortunate in having a good recovery. Don't want to sound negative but My family physician mentioned the fact that in my previous line of work (22 years as a police officer) there is an extremely high rate of cardiac issues due to stress. I can tell you that a lot of the fellows I worked with have experienced cardiac issues both on the job and after retiring. Again, sorry for being negative but I'm sure you have heard of this.

Back