Heavily Copper Fouled Barrel Help

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
My nephew brought over his .270 because of poor accuracy..This rifle is 3 years old and was a great shooter until recently..So first was a good going over of the scope, action screws, stock and then I found the bore looks like this....I've tried the Barnes CR-10 method following the directions and using a snug fitting nylon brush about six times now over the course of as many days without any real gain..The patches start to come out clean, but there is still visible copper in the barrel..I've never seen one this bad..What should I try next before having him take it to a smith for more aggressive measures.

Attachments

• 20180123_210953.jpg
    20180123_210953.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,297
Keep at it with the CR10 or Sweets 762. There is no easy answer for a badly neglected bore, just more elbow grease, stink and patches. You can speed the process a little bit with a bronze brush (you will destroy it with the copper solvent). Wash with water immediately after brushing with lots of copper solvent, it should make it through this bore.

Lots of folks here with more experience than me so Im interested to see how it comes out. If it were me Id loose patience and go with some JB bore paste and then Wipe Out. Plug the bore w/ wipe out in and let her sit for 24 hrs. then do her again. As far as that goes, at some point the copper just fills in the imperfections. My understanding is that a "rough" bore just has a shorter sweet spot where it shoots well before it becomes too fouled to shoot well. But what do I know...CL

Thanks, guys...I think we'll keep going with the CR-10 for a little longer and if that doesn't help then I'll guess I'll pick up some JB.....BUT, being the loving, caring Uncle that I am, I think I'll send him home with the bottle of CR-10 and a few hundred patches...I can't think of a better way to reinforce the importance of proper firearm care than smelling CR-10 and have it sting your hands and eyes for several days!!!

:lol: :lol:

My question would be how many rounds and what bullet(s)? Sweets, CR and Wipeout will all work as will scrubbing it out with JB. I personally would go with Wipeout. The root cause is likely a rough bore. The JB can fix that once the fouling is gone or you could go the fire lapping route.

Silent Sam":k7ex3hdv said:
My question would be how many rounds and what bullet(s)? Sweets, CR and Wipeout will all work as will scrubbing it out with JB. I personally would go with Wipeout. The root cause is likely a rough bore. The JB can fix that once the fouling is gone or you could go the fire lapping route.

He mostly uses Speer Spitzer boat tail 130 grain..I don't know how many he's actually shot, but over the last 3 years I loaded batches of them for him that total 1000..He's only 19 years old and from what I gathered, he's cleaning routine is about 5 passes with a Chinese knock-off of the Bore Snake and then an oil patch, so its not been getting a good cleaning. The rifle is a Mod 70, and I don't know if a rough bore is the culprit or not. I think it boils down to neglect, which kills me because I have a special place for M70 featherweights. I picked up some Wipe out, a bottle of accelerator, and a flex nozzle this AM and gave it a shot without the accelerator. I'll let it work until late this evening and see what happens. Then if it needs more, I'll use it with the accelerator while I can stay with it. After I get it cleaned out I'll take it to be scoped and go from there if the bore is rough. I guess that'l take care of his up-coming birthday present from me..

Bore tech copper eliminator is what I use along with Bore tech carbon remover.
You have multiple layers of carbon and copper in that barrel.
You can soak the barrel over night with no side effects since it doesn't contain ammonia and won't attack the steel barrel but will remove some stock finishes. I scrub the bore with the carbon remover and then with the copper remover letting it sit over night with the muzzle angled down so the junk doesn't drain back into the chamber. My cut barrel on the 35 Whelen/AI looked like it was gold plated after shooting it and this was the only way I could get it clean. I tried Sweets, Barnes and J-B paste oh and also Remington bore cleaner and could not get the bore clean till I tried Bore Tech Eliminator products.
You can get it at Midway and probably a few other on line supply houses or maybe a local gun shop.

Okay, my quick shot at this. SOAK that bore with CR10, Copper Killer, CU2 or similar and just let it sit in that bore overnight. Patch after patch of just wiping the solution out won't speed it up. I soak the bore and let it sit.

If I am in a hurry, I will patch up a Kroil or similar oil soaked patch and smear Iosso or JB's Bore Paste on it and scrub that sucker CLEAN. I don't use especially tight patches either, just snug, usually a couple caliber jags under bore diameter and work it in 1" strokes started at the throat until you get to the muzzle.

After that, I will swab that Iosso or JB's out of the barrel with more Copper remover and let it sit for awhile and see how my first bore scrubbing was. If I am still get copper I will hit it again with JB's or similar.

The trick in my opinion is SOAKING that bore and giving the solution time to soak and deteriorate the copper. Takes time, so letting most of the good ones that are able to stay in the bore overnight is a great idea. I used to try and patch and patch and patch a bore, but in the end, it is time to soak that crap out.

Lastly, once you have it down to bare steel, treat it with Dyna Bore Coat... It will substantially reduce fouling and make clean up sooo danged easy, plus it protects the bore as well without harming accuracy.

If soaking and JB's and DBC don't work and it still fouls, look at fire lapping.... It really seems to be sucking up the copper and even a 1/2 treatment of fire lapping with abrasive bullets will work wonders.

"If soaking and JB's and DBC don't work and it still fouls, look at fire lapping.... It really seems to be sucking up the copper and even a 1/2 treatment of fire lapping with abrasive bullets will work wonders."

I'll second that motion. I have an M70 FWT in 7x57 that would fouls so badly in just one box of ammo that accuracy literally ceased to exist. Several 6 to 8 hour days with Sweet's 7.62 and later on CR-10 were a total PITA. :x I bought a fire lapping kit and cheated a bit by going with cast bullets instead of jacketed, and only shooting five rounds of each grit instead of the recommended ten. After that I ran five more cast bullets heavily coated with JB Bore Paste followed by a session with CR-10. End result is while the barrel still fouls to some degree, I can shoot as many as 60 rounds of test loads without accuracy loss and clean up takes no longer than any of my other rifles. (y) I never figured out why the bore on that 7x57 FWT was so rough. My .257 Roberts FWT has a nice smooth bore and cleans up nicely and fast even after a long range session.
Paul B.

Barrel makers love JB Bore, excessive stroking with Sweets, and especially fire lapping. Good for business. [emoji1]

Following the soak in wipe-out and some patches, there is marked improvement in the bore..without a scope i can only see a few inches into the bore, but i cant see any signs of copper. I followed up by using the accelerator with the wipe-out and the patches came out clean. I guess a trip to the range is in order. And start to pay close attention to how quickly it builds up copper. Ignore all the white fuzz strings left over from a rag....
d0158095c31a9cb33ccd1c55d7a4fb24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well that looks better. Don't be surprised if there are more and more layers of carbon and copper. That was my experience with Dads 7Mag. Im fairly certain I gave up before it was "clean". If it shoots better you made some headway. Ive always wanted to try Dyna coat products. CL

Any of the ammonia based solvents like Montana Copper Killer Extreme, Sweets 7.62, and CR10 should not be left in the barrel though longer then 15 minutes IMO. I know CR10 stated that on the bottle, and I used that stuff for well over a decade.

gbflyer":2co1v38n said:
Barrel makers love JB Bore, excessive stroking with Sweets, and especially fire lapping. Good for business. [emoji1]

My thoughts are that is a barrel is a stinker that is the only things that may make them usable, so you might as well give them a shot before calling up your favorite barrel maker.
hunter24605":2co1v38n said:
Following the soak in wipe-out and some patches, there is marked improvement in the bore..without a scope i can only see a few inches into the bore, but i cant see any signs of copper. I followed up by using the accelerator with the wipe-out and the patches came out clean. I guess a trip to the range is in order. And start to pay close attention to how quickly it builds up copper. Ignore all the white fuzz strings left over from a rag....

That barrel looks pretty good from the picture. I'd definitely try Dyna Bore Coat in it now, since it is down to steel clean. 5-10 rounds after application clean out out with a decent solvent, then just shoot it. I'll bet on a good improvement on fouling.. Might help it out a ton, I haven't seen it not work though. It's worth the work and one bottle will do 6-8 rifles depending on how it is applied.

SJB358":28kwxu71 said:
gbflyer":28kwxu71 said:

My thoughts are that is a barrel is a stinker that is the only things that may make them usable, so you might as well give them a shot before calling up your favorite barrel maker.
hunter24605":28kwxu71 said:

That barrel looks pretty good from the picture. I'd definitely try Dyna Bore Coat in it now, since it is down to steel clean. 5-10 rounds after application clean out out with a decent solvent, then just shoot it. I'll bet on a good improvement on fouling.. Might help it out a ton, I haven't seen it not work though. It's worth the work and one bottle will do 6-8 rifles depending on how it is applied.

That's pretty much my thought..If the barrel has lost it's ability to shoot accurately, there's not much to loose at that point by using compounds and solvents (Per the manufactures instructions.)

Taking your advice and I ordered the Dyna-tech Bore Coat kit from Brownells. I have a few rifles that could benefit from it..Hope it works!

Back