Henry Long Ranger

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I am toying with the idea of buying one of these in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. Does anyone have real world experience with one and, if so, what are your impressions? I have read online reviews and watched video reviews as well. The only thing I have seen that raises any concerns are in some of the videos the 308 brass seems to be difficult to eject. I know there are several potential causal factors but still........

As an aside, between the two calibers, which would be your pick and why? I have multiple rifles in each caliber so this wouldn't be a first except for it being a lever action. I reload both and it would be used for range trips, deer hunting, and to have it just because.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

6.5 creed.

Accurate, less recoil, great selection of bullets and it was designed around the heavy 6.5 mm high BC bullets.

No first hand experience with one but sure seems like a nice rifle. Both 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are proven target and hunting cartridges. Tough call to pick but I would lean more towards the 308 Win. due to the selection of bullets offered.

JD338

A pretty good buddy has one in a 243. Neat rifles.

I’d go 6.5 CM right now, ask me again in the morning and it may be 308. Either way, you can’t lose.

Tough choice....I know the creed is all the rage and certainly a fine round.

I've considered one in 243 myself.

I really like my Henry 41 mag carbine, an excellent little rifle in a regards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ridgerunner, I have a Big Boy Steel in 357 and really like it too. I would have considered buying one in 41 Mag but I have a Marlin 1894 from the first production run (pre-safety) that I'm very happy with.

Ron

I'd go with the 6.5 on account of my bum shoulder, but either will do nicely. I have yet to see anything other than good wood on the Long Rangers and in some cases it is outstanding. Henry the company is as good as it gets.

I thought these Long Rangers looked very interesting. Henry seems to make great quality rifles. I want a Henry 22. as a practice and squirrel gun.

I personally would go the .308 route. Three reasons, two rational, one not.

First reason is barrel life. Not sure how big an issue this is to be honest, but I've heard it mentioned that the 6.5 wears barrels faster because it is a higher velocity round. I'd say this is less of an issue on a bolt gun since you can re-barrel it, but I don't think you can re-barrel a lever action, but if someone knows otherwise please correct me.

Second reason is that I kind of look at every gun from a perspective of how it would serve me if pressed into service in a "dooms day" type scenario. .308 being NATO makes it more preferable during ammo scarcity.

Third (irrational) reason is that I think thirty caliber rounds hit the magic caliber number. It is sort of like a hunch, but I feel like thirty cal. rounds are just sized right to do their job with that right amount of wallop. Even if scientifically speaking a 6.5 has the same energy, the .308 is still just bigger. It's the "no replacement for displacement" thought process.

Really though, all of the points might be irrelevant depending on your purpose for the gun.

Back