Heres what you'll see with a lyman $200 bore cam.

kraky1

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
My PC is pretty old and decrepit and my tablet won't take SD chips so you'll have to see this..lol.
Here is a picture of a land in my moderately used Tikka 3006. Wipeout is getting all of the copper fouling out but there's a little bit of carbon here and there. My gunsmith says Sierra has a product that will get that stuff out but it probably isn't needed .....my bore looks pretty good.

This is exceeding my expectations by quite a bit.... You Oughta see the inside of my steyr mil Surplus rifle! I think it's only got four lands and they're rough as a cob. And in between them it looks like mold on cheese..... or perhaps the surface of the Moon not sure which would better describe it. Now I know why it shoots four inch groups at 100 yards and I should probably be thrilled it does.

Believe it or not these pictures were from a 400.00 custom barrel.

Attachments

• Barrel borescope pictures 001.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 001.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Barrel borescope pictures 011.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 011.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Barrel borescope pictures 006.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 006.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Barrel borescope pictures 005.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 005.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,140
The manufacturer of the barrel said the pits and hole you see was lint and oil in the barrel. We'll I cleaned the barrel before I scoped it. And then it came back from them looking like this. Viola perfectly lapped like it should have been before it left except now the bore is larger (I know because I tried all my reamer pilots and the largest is now loose). Needless to say I'll never use another of their barrels.

Attachments

• Barrel borescope pictures 025.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 025.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Barrel borescope pictures 027.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 027.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Barrel borescope pictures 028.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 028.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Barrel borescope pictures 029.JPG
    Barrel borescope pictures 029.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,140
here's a picture I just took of the inside of my 270 Marlin XL7. It's a pretty good shooter but look at the inside of that Barrel ouch. Up by the Chamber of things are pretty smooth but the further you come down the barrel the more it starts to look like a fireman's ladder with tooling marks..... and they are everywhere on the lands and between them. Got to give Wipeout credit for getting everything clean they must get embedded pretty good as that bullet goes down there...

Well, that would be disappointing. I can see why one would be uncomfortable using that particular product again. Hopefully, I don't have any of their barrels on any of my rifles. Trust is a fragile commodity. When it has been broken, it will be costly to reestablish it.

IdahoCTD":1sqqk82j said:
Those rings are from hammer forging. That barrel really isn't that bad.

Well.... just down from the chamber that Barrel is almost as nice as my tikka. My picture is in the middle of the barrel where it's about average as you get towards the muzzle it's about twice as bad..... if I could open the barrel Up Down by the muzzle and flatten it out I think I could use the inside of it to sharpen my lawn mower blade.... is that really what Hammer forging looks like?....yikes..!

I have a question for you guys . does this auto focus ? or how does the focus happen ? I'm a mechanic, I have a need for something like this . for instance I can put in a spark plug hole to see what the valves look like . or put through a cam sensor hole to look at the timing chain and gears . I'd have many uses for one in the garage . is it fairly durable , or fragile ? does it look like I could clean dirt , carbon , oil , grease off without ruining it ? thanks Jim

That looks pretty danged cool. Your selling me on it. I dig seeing all those pictures.

They aren't very tough Jim. They are really small. You can't focus it like you can a Hawkeye but moving it closer or further from the barrel wall does focus it slightly. You can clean them but you have to be careful doing so.

The lines perpendicular to the bore are the lines from hammer forging the barrel. You have some small pits but the rifling looks smooth. Obviously it's not lapped like the last pictures I posted but it looks pretty good.

Here is a picture of the SD to USB adapter.

Attachments

• SDtoUSBadapter.jpg
    SDtoUSBadapter.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,108
Ok, I got one thanks to this thread... and darn it. just darn it my most accurate rifle has the worst looking bore- though I am sure that it just looks bad in the pics, there are gouges about every inch down the bore that go all the way around the bore.

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

Even have a gouge running running on a land-

PICT0006.jpg

But the thing shoots 3/4-1" groups at 200 so go figure.

Sorry I caused your pain....lol. I have an almost-new Thompson venture 7-08 that shoots like a house of fire but has a barrel that looks like that... including railroad tracks in the middle of the lands just like your picture. Just a couple days ago I was a little bored and checked out the bore of my Chinese $100 air rifle..... I was shocked to find it was as smooth as the best of my rifles in my safe.....WTH!! Yeah these things are very interesting but at the same time aggravating.....lol!

Back