Hi Guys

ofdscooby

Beginner
Nov 2, 2010
I have been a long time lurker and now first time poster. I recently started reloading and I am absolutly loving it I'm reloading for 25-06,.243, and 7mm mag. I have been pleased with all my results so far but do have a technical question that I dont know if it relates to bullets or the reloading equipment. When I reload and look to hit a specific OAL like 3.26 for my 26-06 I get varying results anywhere from 3.26 to 3.263 to 3.257 am I being too anal or am I doing something wrong. I'm using Accubonds , RCBS dies , and a Hollywood press. Any help would be much appriciated.

Mike

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here.
One thing I have found is that some bullets get stuck in the seating stem of the die due to their ogives. Take a dremel tool and polish the inside of the seating stem. This stops the bullets from getting stuck in the stem thus pulling them back out.

Also, the ogive surface area varies on mass produced bullets. So it is to be expected, you will get varying seating depth measurements..

For giggles, measure a handful bullets and you'll see it...

Rod

Glad you are here. Here's my two cents. If you use a bullet comparator and measure on the ogives you MIGHT get a more accurate and consistant read than if you check the overall length by measuring from the base of the case to the tip of the bullet. I have found especially with lead tipped bullets that variations there in OAL are common when using that as your measuring point because even on brand new in the box bullets, the lead gets flattened or bumped, or any number of things that make small changes like this. I believe but could be wrong, but with the Accubonds, the Ballistic tips, and the bullets with the inserted tip will probably me more consistant in length than lead tipped bullets when measured in this fashion.

Also when I am seating bullets I like to do it gently and feel the base get started in the case neck before I apply slow smooth pressure until the bullet is seated all the way. I do not just jamb them into the necks and call it good. Gentle and smooth. Okay, I'm anal. :mrgreen:

ofdscooby,

Good to have you on board. After the initial seating, I turn the cartridge 180 degrees and give the ram a second seat. What you are observing is the difference in acceptable manufacturing tolerance. The easiest way to address this is to take an average of ten or so rounds and that is your OAL. The three thousandths variation is not at all uncommon.

Welcome ofdscooby
Very good seating tips here. I learned DrMike's quite a while ago and it actually improves accuracy. Noticeably. I have used a ogive comparator tool for a long time also. Only time I measure the base to tip is in a couple of rifles that have short magazines.

ofdscooby you can never be to anal about reloading procedures. That's what it's all about. These forums are just set up for really anal people to swap really anal issues. LOL

Jim

Pop thanks for that tip. Is this mostly RCBS dies or is this inherent with all types. I should have a chance today to look at this.

Yup a lot of mine were like that, especially with super sharp ogives like accubonds and Bergers. When you're seating over heavily compressed loads the problem worsens. Take it easy with the dremel, very easy. Emery cloth will also work well. Wrap the sleekest, sexiest bullet of same caliber you have in emery cloth and twist on! (My favorite trick) :wink:

Back