Hornady Custom Grade Rifle Die

G

I'm looking to replace my old 30-06 Lyman Die set and considering the Hornady Custom Grade set. Any input is appreciated.
Here are some questions: Will this thread onto my RCBS Press? Is this grade of Hornady better than the RCBS ?

Thanks,
Don

Don, the Hornady dies will thread into any 7/8x14 threaded press. I use Hornady rifle dies in my RCBS press all the time. In fact, they are my favorite die brand. I find them to be well made, have good QC, and to produce accurate ammo. I just bought some 30-06 Hornady dies for a -06 I picked up a while back. Haven't used them yet, but I've loaded thousands of rounds through my other sets of Hornady dies. Nothing wrong with RCBS, but I like the Hornady seating die better, and the box is excellent, too.

I use them in 6.5x55 and 270 Win. Both produce ammo as good I get with my RCBS, or Redding (not BR) dies in other calibers IMO. BTW I like the "tapered expander" much better then the regular "ball" type. I think it helps reduce drag and keep runout to a minimum.

Thanks you guys that helps. Hornady has always been quality in my opinion. Only wish they had 300 Ultra Mag dies as well.

Don

I don't know that I would say the Hornady dies are better than RCBS, but they are good dies that produce some great ammunition if you do your part. Buy the dies if you have opportunity; they will work just fine in your Rock Chucker press.

I have the Hornady dies for my 7mm WSM and a 25-06, these are great dies and I am going to buy some more for my rifles. Great customer service, they have never let me down yet!

Dr. Mike,

What differences do you find between the two manufacturers? I'd appreciate your opinion.I would like to stream line my dies and stay, as you say, with one brand.

Don

Don,

Either are good dies. You'd be pleased with either. I usually prefer Forster dies for my personal cartridges, but I certainly have RCBS, Redding, Lyman and Lee dies in my own personal stock. Frequently, as I receive a rifle to work up a load the owner will deliver Hornady dies. In terms of ammunition produced, I am comfortable with either Hornady or RCBS. I have requested service from RCBS on several occasions, and I must say the service was superb. I have never had to seek service from Hornady. However, that is a combination of the fact that fewer dies are available in this area from Hornady and because I have fewer opportunities to use them. Generally speaking, RCBS has a better selection of dies than does Hornady, but Hornady is producing many innovative cartridges. Look at where you think you will move. Will you be loading for commonly available dies, or will you be looking to incorporate some newer cartridges in the future. That may influence your decision. Generally, RCBS seems more likely to craft a custom die than does Hornady. Having wandered about the issue, the practical difference between what is produced by the two is minimal. Focus on the one that you are able to obtain most readily and enjoy. I really don't think you will go wrong.

Thanks Dr Mike, you have much more experience than I and your opinion says a lot. I really appreciate that.

Don

I use more Hornady dies than any other brand. I like the bullet guide on their seater die. You have to pay premium for these feature on any other brand.

IMO the custom competition seating dies from RCBS are in a league of their own. the micrometer seater with bullet loading window can't be beat. then I have a lee collet neck sizer and factory crimp die

I just picked up a set of the Hornady dies a couple of weeks ago at Cabelas. I had an old set of RCBS for the 308, but after doing a couple of test rounds i didn't like them.
The seating die does look pretty good but haven't used them yet. They at the time had an offer for 100 free bullets with the purchase.
My other dies are Reading which i like but decided to give these a try.

I probably have 6-7 sets of Hornady in various calibers and they are by far my favorite die. I also have RCBS, Lee and Lyman. I like the bullet guide on the seating die and I like the easy adjustment on seating depth. The only reason I would consider buying something else is if I cannot find the Hornady.

JMHO

I have a set of Hornady dies for my .25-06, and I had to buy Hornady for my Creedmoor, 'cause I wasn't gonna pay what Redding wanted for their Creedmoor dies. I have to say that I like my Redding and RCBS comp dies more that the Hornadys, but I dunno if they load better ammo. Lately I've been trying to get some Forster dies... I picked up a set for my .257 Weatherby, and I'm trying to find someone who has the Ultra dies in 7WSM in stock.

I mainly have hornady dies and I like them except for one thing, for each gun I have I have had to grind down a shell holder to get them to bump the shoulder back enough. Its not like that on all my hornady die sets but most of them I have to do this, if I rip one more shell holder pulling out a 270 wsm case im sending them back to hornady, it happens because I have to grind the shell holder down to the point where the lip is weak, and yes I put enough case lube on.

Now as far as them loading accurate ammo I have no complaints, and I love their seater dies with the micro adjust.

matts318":3e6dxov7 said:
I mainly have hornady dies and I like them except for one thing, for each gun I have I have had to grind down a shell holder to get them to bump the shoulder back enough. Its not like that on all my hornady die sets but most of them I have to do this, if I rip one more shell holder pulling out a 270 wsm case im sending them back to hornady, it happens because I have to grind the shell holder down to the point where the lip is weak, and yes I put enough case lube on.

Now as far as them loading accurate ammo I have no complaints, and I love their seater dies with the micro adjust.
+1, I also had to grind down my shell holder for everything to work right as well.

I have to grind the shell holder down to the point where the lip is weak

Why not buy Redding Competition shell holder sets or just grind the bottom of the sizing die itself. Better yet, just buy a small base body die.

Why not buy Redding Competition shell holder sets or just grind the bottom of the sizing die itself. Better yet, just buy a small base body die.

Way too simple. :lol: Seriously, I suspect that many people are not aware of these fixes to the problem matt318 describes.

I've used Hornady dies extensively, and have never had an issue where I needed to grind a shellholder or die base. I've used them to load for lever guns, break-actions, and even one semi-auto, without any sizing problems. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm saying I've used a bunch of Hornady dies and never experienced it. I wouldn't worry.

Also, in my experience, Hornady dies resize a bit more, and make "smaller" body diameter resizings than RCBS, Redding, and Lee dies. I've not had shoulder bump problems, as I've said, and I've used the partial FL size method for my Browning BAR (243Win), Win94 (30-30), and a few break action barrels in various chamberings. In fact, I'm about to have a set of Redding 300Wby dies for sale now that I've replaced them with Hornady dies. Ditto for a set of Lee 7mmRemMag dies. I'll post them in classifieds shortly.

Back