How many .264 Win mag shooters?

I loaded for my dads about 5 years ago. It was a Winchester model 70 classic w/26" bbl.

He since sold it, I dont know why...He actually replaced it with a 25/06.

I used IMR-4350 w/120g NBT's at 3300fps. It was 3/4" at 100 yards and killed muleys like lightning!!!

I have a Rem. 700 BDL chambered in this and absolutely love it! When I first got it I tried loading some heavier balls (140gr) with it and it didn't shoot that well. Played around with it and loaded some 120gr and 130gr NBTips and it will drive tacks all day!! Nocks a whitetails socks off as well.....PaLongshank

Count me in. I'm shooting a semi-custom Interarms Mk 10 action with a 28 inch Pac-Nor 3 grove. It loves 142 g SMK's with 50BMG. 'Yotes in pivot circles hate it.

Reflex,

I read and enjoyed your excellent post on 24HR about the 264 WM.

I traded two 03A3's for a 264 WM made up on a mauser action in a plain stock with a 26" Douglas twisted 1-12". O3A3's were $10 ea then. The rifle was quite accurate with the 120 Sierra which is what they call the Pro Hunter these days.

I used it some on long range woodchucks but the recoil was just not worth it. Perhaps a better pad etc. might have mattered.

Then I got a 264 WM in an old M70. Its very accurate with 120 gr Ballistic Tips at about 3300+ fps.

Again its primary use is varmints. Its kind of heavy for the way we hunt bigger game. I would shoot far at a coyote, otherwise the freezer is full.

Howdy fellers. At least I'm not alone. :lol: Very soon I will be crop sniping again, probably next month. I am going to use the 130 AccuBond in the .264 as well as some Bergers. I gather a bunch of data in a short amount of time. I have used the 120 ballistic tip for the long fields and it has served me well. I have shot it everywhere from around 3100fps to 3400fps. The actual BC calculates higher than the advertised BC. Thats a switch.

Savage99- I'm glad you liked it. If I live long enough I could end up taking more deer with the .264 than anyone in history. During crop sniping it is possible to shoot 10 or more a night. reflex264

In Australia its common to fill the truck at night with roos. One guy there has shot 20,000 thingys. Keep going. At ten a night you should tie that number in seven years.

Savage99":1x1gioma said:
In Australia its common to fill the truck at night with roos. One guy there has shot 20,000 thingys. Keep going. At ten a night you should tie that number in seven years.

A close friend of mine worked for a sporting goods store for a while. One day a customer from Austrailia came in and they started talking about shooting roos. My friend asked him "What do you do with the kangaroos you shoot?". The Austrailian slapped him on the back and a said " You eat burgers don't you mate?'. :lol: reflex264

hopwoodt":4opbvv5g said:
I use a sendero 264 mag for hunting and love the caliber.

That sendero is one more nice rifle. What kind of scope do you use? reflex264

This is a custom .264 that I got to keep for a year doing load workups. It belongs to a custom rifle builder. the gun with scope weighs just over 7lbs. The match barrel has been fluted. It is in a synthetic stock that weighs about as much a tennis ball. The action is blueprinted and the trigger perfection. I nearly cried when I gave it back. This is one more fine rifle. One evening during crop sniping I shot 3 deer with it in about 20 seconds and the closest one was 404 yards! reflex264

charles%20.jpg

Don't have one. Have always been impressed. With all the great 6.5 mm bullets avail these days, and many choices of slow burning powders, I strongly suspect that the good old .264 Win has only gotten better. Better barrels are avail too... Nearly 30 years ago a rancher in Montana introduced me to his .264 - his only centerfire as I recall. Elk, mulies and coyotes were all shot with the same ammo - and results were final judging from all the racks on the walls of the ranch house... I remember thinking it was too light of a caliber for elk - but he set me straight on that one. A good bullet through the lungs seemed to do it just fine.

Maybe it's time for me to think about a spare barrel for my 7mm Rem mag, only in .264... :grin: Thanks for the plans! Guy

relfex264
I'm purchasing a weaver grandslam 4.5-16 for hunting this year. so far my 264 has sat in its factory box awaiting the day to replace my .243.

hopwoodt":2a1ee9t9 said:
relfex264
I'm purchasing a weaver grandslam 4.5-16 for hunting this year. so far my 264 has sat in its factory box awaiting the day to replace my .243.

Great scope. I hope you love the .264 as much as I do. I am going to be using the 130gr AccuBond on deer this year. reflex264

Pop, I am a big Sendero fan & have 2, 1 in 25-06 (25-06AI now) & 1 in 300WM. I have had good results with those & would likely choose the Sendero, but that wood on the CDL sure is pretty.

Reflex, do you think the 130 Swift Sc. BC rating is correct, seems mighty high to me, & if you have tried it, is it accurate?

I know this is a Nosler site & Nosler kicks butt, just curious about this one Swift.

nomosendero":3nej2nxz said:
Pop, I am a big Sendero fan & have 2, 1 in 25-06 (25-06AI now) & 1 in 300WM. I have had good results with those & would likely choose the Sendero, but that wood on the CDL sure is pretty.

I feel the same way dude. I think I will be on the fence for a long time on this one!

this.....

pix580155281.jpg

pix580155406.jpg

or this???????????

lgsil_700sendero.jpg

POP":mliasmzs said:
nomosendero":mliasmzs said:

I feel the same way dude. I think I will be on the fence for a long time on this one!

this.....

pix580155281.jpg

pix580155406.jpg

or this???????????

lgsil_700sendero.jpg

Pop,

What are you waiting for?

Like the old saying goes, He who waits........

......lets us know how she shoots! :wink:

JD338

Pop, I guess you could get the CDL, have everything trued up, Pillar bed/epoxy bed the rec, float the barrel, stiffen up the forend by glassing in a rod, get it weatherproofed, get a harris with a pod-lock & have the best of both worlds!!!

Back