How many left-hand shooters/hunters do we have here?

This thread made me think about a rifle I picked years ago, and I have never shot it, a left hand Rem 700 BDL in 300 RUM.
I bought it thinking, if I ever used a rifle, that cartridge would take care of just about anything.
I should have know better, as I hardly ever shoot a rifle, unless I am with my friend down south.

I am a lefty and struggle with right hand tools and guns. My first true left hand rifle is a very nice Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester, which I still have. I was fortunate to purchase it through a friend who worked in the stock department at Remington in Ilion NY in the early 80's. In those days I had another friend, also a gun/hunting fella, who had access to his in-law's farm which as well populated by woodchucks. The good olde days... Both friends have passed and the farm in now houses.

I am a lefty and struggle with right hand tools and guns. My first true left hand rifle is a very nice Remington 700 BDL in .270 Winchester, which I still have. I was fortunate to purchase it through a friend who worked in the stock department at Remington in Ilion NY in the early 80's. In those days I had another friend, also a gun/hunting fella, who had access to his in-law's farm which as well populated by woodchucks. The good olde days... Both friends have passed and the farm in now houses.
Rich memories, Rol. You are blessed.

Left hand shotgun and rifle as I’m seriously left eye dominant.

Can manage right hand combat shooting, close targets, with rifle and shotgun but beyond 25 Yards I shoot southpaw. Handguns are right handed but I’m ambidextrous with handguns. I used to love left side barricade quals. I’d just put the gun in my left hand and go to work. Shooting that way kept more of my vitals behind cover.

Shot a Massad Ayoob course of fire left handed once to show students the need of being proficient with either hand.

Vince

I think it is one of the most important overlooked skills to be able to shoot either handed. I was somewhat lucky I suppose in the fact that being cross eye dominate kinda made me learn both whether I liked it or not!

I started life as a leftie and when in my late teen's I started doing some different discipline shoots at my local SSAA range. One of those was a rapid fire shoot but being a leftie with a right handed rifle, I ended up teaching myself to shoot right handed, which is how I have been shooting for the past 30 years most of the time. Occasionally I will start shooting as leftie for some reason. In other things in life, I do some things right handed and some left.....just the way God made me I guess

Back