How many shots for a group?

MNsportsman60

Beginner
Apr 23, 2007
Now before you all jump on this, I know it has to be more than 1! Reason I ask is, this fall I was sighting in my 06 for dear season. Now I don't reload yet, so I am just shooting factory loads. Federal Premium Nosler PT 180's. The spotter calls out my target at 100 and I fire my first shot. 3 1/2 right and 1 high. I fire a second shot, result is a ragged hole. We have a steady wind blowing left to righ. I have not shot enought to be able to dope the wind, but after he consults with some of his buddy's he said that I should move 11 clicks to the left, I make the change on the leupy and fire my next shot, 3/4" right and 1 high. (they said I should allow 3/4" for the wind)? I fire my next shot and they are touching. So I have 2 - 2 shot groups that are easily covered with a dime. For hunting season I am extremely confident in be able to put the shot where I need to and the 180 PT's have never failed me yet. As I am looking to get into handloading, when you guys are working up loads, how many shots do you shoot for a group?
3? 5? 10?

Actually, since the 180's PT's shoot 1/2" or less I sometimes wonder if I will actually gain anything by reloading. Well, I have the target here in cubicle and dream about shooting ragged 1 hole groups.

How many rounds do you reload at a given powder weight to determine velocity and accuracy is what I am getting at? Secondly, would trying to duplicate the Fed Premium load as a starting point and then making small changes to improve the load be the best or starting from scratch?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steve

Thanks

Steve

When I develope a load, I will make 3 rounds of a specific powder charge. I usually load around 5 to 7 different charge weights. Once I find the most accurate, I then work on seating depth. When everything is all said and done, I'll fire to sight in the scope, get velocity info and see if everything is still grouping like it did initially. Most will tell you around 3 to five shots for a single group. The more shots you fire for a grouping, the more information you'll get concerning accuracy.

When the scope and gun are all set, I'll fire a round from a cold barrel and immediately fire a second shot to see how it reacts when the barrel is hot.

4 shots for any trial group. If I felt I threw one out I shoot the fourth. If it works or shows some potential then I re verify on several other days.

POP,

That makes me laugh. It's pretty much a given I'm going to throw one, so I shoot ( or at least load 4 as well )

If you are shooting 180gr 30cal at 100yds, 3/4" allowance for the wind is too much unless it was blowing really hard. Check wind drift charts for that weight bullet/velocity at the wind speed.
Three shot groups when working up loads. Then verify with several more three shot groups with the barrel clean, dirty, cold/hot. Throughout the season I will frequently stop at the range and fire one round just to keep check.Rick.

Hi, I would think that it would have to a heck of a wind to blow off 3/4" @ 100 yards using a 06.
I reload for the enjoyment and beside most of us think we can do better than a factory shell.
When I am testing a load I normally shoot groups of 3 and usually start 2 grains under max and then go half a grain per group.
For the varmit calibers I do the same groups but go up in .2 grain per group. After each shot I check for pressure by looking at the primers for flattening or swirling this normally a quick check.

3 shots test the load, 5 shots test the shooter. :wink:

JD338

In my single shot break open guns I usally shoot three shots for group. In my bolt action I shoot five shots.

When working up a load for either, I shoot five shots per charge weight.

JD338":33d1dccd said:
3 shots test the load, 5 shots test the shooter. :wink:

JD338

That about sums it up JD on the shots.

I have yet to have a gun that I could not improve the accuracy over factory loads by reloading. 2 years ago, the savings for reloading was not that great. I shoot about 30K rounds a year pistol and rifle. With the cost of ammo today, you can pay for a reloader very fast especially on the good stuff. I have found that the cost of components have not gone up as fast as loaded ammo.

A great example is my 308 ammo. Federal 308 Gold Medal Match ammo runs about $30.00 for a box of 20 that’s $1500.00 a thousand.

My 308 load using 46g of VARGET Federal Match primers and Nosler Custom Competition bullets shoots about .15 better that those factory rounds.

If you started from scratch and purchased 1000rds of once fired Federal Gold Medal Brass for 150.00. ( I can typically use good 308 brass 8 times ). Your first 1000 rds would cost 473.00 brass included.

Your next 6 or 7K rounds would cost you 313.00 per 1000.

I do by my stuff in bulk
8lbs of VARGET 124.00
5000 Federal GM primers 100.00
250 168g Nosler CC BTHP bullets 45.00

That beats the heck out of 30.00 per box of 20.

I still see great saving on what is considered “Cheap” ammo like .223. The Wolf steel case stuff is about $250 per 1000, good ammo like Remington or Winchester in bulk will cost you about 400.00 per thousand at best.

I load .223 in a 55g BTSP that constantly shoots .5 MOA in my AR15 and .3.5 MOA in my Savage for under 150.00 per 1000.

If you get into reloading, seriously consider getting a progressive. In the grand scheme of start up cost from scratch its not that much more, the real cost is in all the other stuff, dies, scales, books, tumbles trimmers, calipers, powder measures, shell holders and the prep stuff. The cost between a progressive and a single stage is about 250.00 less if you buy used, and do not be afraid to by used, most of the companies like RCBS and Dillon guarantee them for life. I had a friend who bought on at a garage sale that had been in a house fire. He sent it in, they re built it and sent it back.

I can load single stage on my progressive just fine ( one shell at a time ) for my match stuff, but I can load my target stuff 300 to 400 rds in a hr. I can go out in the garage and easily crank through 500rds of very accurate ammo in a evening after work.

I concur on the wind drift, a 100 yards is not going to make that much difference unless it's a serious crosswind of about 20 knots steady.

As for groups 3 shots, I will load 6 rounds of each test load and shoot 2 three shot groups with breaks in between to let it cool down.

Since most of my loads are hunting guns, if I start with a dirty (fowled) barrel I keep it that way until all done testing loads. I will never cary a clean barrel into the field, it always is fowled either from test loads, or checking the zero. I only clean at he end of the hunting season. If I do have to clean it, it gets fowled with at least three rounds then left alone.

I shoot five for the light guns and three to four for the magnums. letting the barrel cool between each group.

Normal grouping will only takes three shots on what you are looking for, But you must think about your-self and the condition around you.
Weather,Equipment like (shooting-bench)and Human erra.
We are all human in order to shoot well placed groups depends on you and your equipment.
A good shooting platform or bench , not the hood of your truck or any thing that can move in the wind.
Lots of practice any hobbie or sports can cost as much as your wallet can stand.(Set Goals and Limits).
When shooting factory ammo,you will always have a flyer.(Flyer=When one of your 3 shots is double the distance of the other 2),Any more than 3 shots you are just having fun or you are confused.
Production ammo no matter what the cost will never be totally consitent.
If you are looking for tight groups you may want to consider reloading. :?

Back