How much does a scope move ?

bear

Beginner
Jun 25, 2009
If one click moves my scopew 1/4 at 100 yds how much does one click move it at 50 yds. ? :oops:

it will move it an 1/8 inch and at 25 yards it will move it 1/16 inch. so to move it an inch at 50 yards it will take 8 clicks and at 25 yards it will take 16 clicks to move it an inch. (thanks for the correction dubyam)

One click is 1/4 MOA (one MOA is approximately 1.05 yards), or roughly 0.25 inches at 100 yards. Thus, it will move the POI by approximately 0.125 (1/8) inches at 50 yards. At 200 yards, one click will move the POI by 1/2 inch. At 300 yards, one click will move the POI by 3/4 inch.

I'll agree with everything that's been said except that at 25yds, the movement is 1/16th of an inch, not 1/12th. The value becomes half of what it is at 50yds, and as such goes from .125" down to half that - .0625", or 1/16th - as the arc subtension is linear in nature. Remember that at 100yds, it's .25", at 75yds, it's .1875" (3/16ths), at 50yds, it's .125" (1/8th), and then at 25yds, it's .0625" (1/16th).

From what I understand, that is the test of a good scope, a tracking test.

Zero on center bullseye, fire one. Move it 4-6 MOA(depending on where the corner bullseyes are) down, fire 1, move same amount left, fire 1, move double the amount up, fire one, move double the amount right, fire one, move double the amount down, fire 1 and finally move same amount up and same amount left and you should be back at the center bullseye, with a hole in each smaller bullseye and one below the center bull.

Theoretically, this works. One day I'll test the theory. :grin: :grin:

JT.

jtoews80":2dh1li74 said:
From what I understand, that is the test of a good scope, a tracking test.

Zero on center bullseye, fire one. Move it 4-6 MOA(depending on where the corner bullseyes are) down, fire 1, move same amount left, fire 1, move double the amount up, fire one, move double the amount right, fire one, move double the amount down, fire 1 and finally move same amount up and same amount left and you should be back at the center bullseye, with a hole in each smaller bullseye and one below the center bull.

Theoretically, this works. One day I'll test the theory. :grin: :grin:

JT.

Scope quality can be measured by how good it tracks. One way to find out is to do a box test. Here's the result of the IOR Valdada Optics 3X18X42 with MP-8 reticule's box test at 110 yards. I'm using the 155 grain Lapua Scenar on my 308 for these box test. I was using a new batch of ammo, that I reloaded, using Winchester brass. I normally use Federal brass but, I also wanted to find out, if Winchester will work with my rifle-since I must have a truckload of them. The Winchester shoot half an inch low when compared with Federal but group just as well, so I left it alone.
Fired the first shot at the center of the target and noted that the bullet impacted just as predicted, half inch low. I then dialed the elevation knob 3MOA up and windage 3MOA right and fired shot no.2. I then turned the elevation turret 6MOA down for shot no.3. For my 4th shot I lost track turning the windage knob and dialed a total of 9MOA instead of 6. As you can see, shot no.4 ended up at the edge at the target. I went ahead and dialed the elevation turret 6MOA up, careful this time not to make anymore mistake, and fired shot no. 5. On shot no.6, I just reset both my elevation and windage dial back to my original zero and fired. And here the result... perfect box with shot no. 6 overlapped shot no.1, illustrating scope's precision and repeatability.

Picture100.jpg

Here's the Nikon Tactical 2.5X10X44 again using my 308

IMGP3096.jpg

dubyam":1b8bm69y said:
I'll agree with everything that's been said except that at 25yds, the movement is 1/16th of an inch, not 1/12th. The value becomes half of what it is at 50yds, and as such goes from .125" down to half that - .0625", or 1/16th - as the arc subtension is linear in nature. Remember that at 100yds, it's .25", at 75yds, it's .1875" (3/16ths), at 50yds, it's .125" (1/8th), and then at 25yds, it's .0625" (1/16th).

+1

Well I set it 3/4 inch high at 50 yds it is about 2" high at 100 on the money more or less at 200 and 7 inches low at 300. That works for me and I was able to shoot small coke bottles at 200 yds. Should work for deer. seldom ever shoot over 200 anyway. This is with a BAR lwt in 06 with factory 150 gr ammo.

Back