Howa 1500 rifles, and what are your thoughts on them?

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Well I ordered a Howa multicam rifle Monday in 6.5 Creedmoor. I went with the 24" barrel in flat dark earth cerakote, and a #6 contour barrel. From what research I've found Howa makes a great rifle at a very sound price. I've gotten bored with my Ruger American predator in 6.5, and I really wanted a 24" barrel so I gave in and ordered one. Just wondering some of you folks opinions on the Howa rifles. I've never shot one, and only handled one once, but it felt like a solid rifle to me. I've read some great accuracy reports on them right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard great things about the vanguards, almost forgot that it was a Howa barreled action

I did put a Timney trigger in it and put it in a B&C stock since it was the old S1 series which really made it come around.

I like the Howa rifles. 3 pos safety, M16 style extractor, good 2 stage trigger.. it has a lot of stuff to like.

I have looked at their Howa Alpine models. Those look like really nice rifles in 4 great cartridges.

I've heard good things about the new two stage HACT triggers, but if it isn't for me I'll grab a Timney

My buddy is a believer in them he loves his .223. I kind of want to try the Alpine, but they're nearly the same price as a Kimber Montana. The Montana has some features I like better.

I actually handled the new Kimber hunter last Saturday. Nice little package not as sharp as the Montana though. It was so light I could not hold it still for the life of me. I bet if I hunted in the mountains it would be hard not to want it.

We sold hundreds of Howas in the two hunting stores I worked in, and I can say this; we never received a single complaint about these rifles' accuracy over the years. Decently priced, and value for the $. Good assortment of caliber also available. Wish they made left hand rifles.

We did not take trades or sell used rifles in the one store, but did in the other. And I can tell you that they very seldom take a Howa in on trade, and over the past 16 years I can tell you that I recall only seeing a handful of used Howa's (usually the Axiom) on the racks in several different shops visited throughout western Canada. See more of the Vanguards on used racks, not entirely sure why, as they are Howa barrelled actions; might just be the Weatherby influence???

Bought my first 1500 last year in 6.5x55 Swede. Love the gun and cartridge. Was concerned about the two stage trigger but I like it better than my new Winchesters with the MOA triggers. In fact I have replaced the MOA trigger on one of my Winchesters with a Timney. I will be buying more Howa 1500's.

Thanks guys. Y'all making me feel good about my purchase

I will be picking up my Vanguard 6.5CM tonight when my buddy (who's the FFL) gets home from work. After doing research online, for the $ this seemed like the best option.

Ron

No doubt you will be pleased both with the cartridge and with the rifle. Good move.

I hope so Dr. Mike. I've really enjoyed my other rifle in that caliber.

I own a Howa 1500 in a 22-250 that shoots lights out even with that god awful trigger they put in them. Getting a timney for it. Shoots win supreme 55gns like no ones business.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of Vanguards and a couple of 1500s.- very nice rifles that shot great. The Howa folks know how to screw together an accurate rifle.

That sounds great. Hopefully have it today or next week.

truck driver":2nfk1bdp said:
The only Howa I have shot was a Weatherby Vanguard which shot great.
I had a early-mid '90's Wby. Vanguard that was made in Japan and I put a Hart Barrel on it, and a Timney trigger which shot lights out! The action back then was very good, but I have no knowledge what they are like now?

Shot my 6.5CM Vanguard today with two handloads using 142 Matchkings over RL-17 and 129 ABLRs over Varget. The ABLRs didn't shoot nearly as well as the Matchkings but these were beginning loads so some tweaking may be necessary.

I am VERY pleased with the rifle, however. I put a Bushnell Elite 4500 4-16x scope on it and was very happy with how the combo worked for me.

Ron

Ron,
We had one in the shop a few weeks ago and I weighed it and with a Vx3 scope it came in at 9lbs and 2oz ??? Is yours that heavy??? They are certainty built solidly. Nice actions.

Back