Howa range trip after glass bedding.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I decided to glass bed my recoil lug last week to see if it improved any. So far it seems as if it did tighten up about .200" on average with both hunting and target loads I've been working on. Posting some picks to see what you guys think. I'm pretty settled on the 140 gameking with 42 grains of RL16 seated .020" of the lands for my deer load this year. It has been extremely consistent for me and even did better after the bedding. My target/play load is going to be 120 matchking with 42.7 grains of IMR 4350 seated .015" off the lands. I do know that IMR 4350 and the 120 matchking shoots incredible well in the rifle from .010"- .035" off the lands. First pic is hunting loads and second pic is target loads. Also some 270 WSM testing in the second pic I worked up for BIL. Just starting on it, and hopefully it will tighten up some more.
98834dcc4d4ad1df590a95e56caf97cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just extremely impressed with this rifle. So far going over all my targets it has shot 42 groups mostly 3 shot groups, but a few 5 shot groups. And the combined average of all 42 groups is .683". Has me really wanting to pick up another Howa in 6.5x55 now.

That has to be extremely gratifying for you. Great work and some fine shooting, to be sure!

Thanks been fun messing around with it for sure. Just gonna go ahead and load up some hunting and target rounds with what it likes best. Getting tired of driving 45 minutes to go shoot every Saturday. Gonna rest now lol

It looks like your plan is paying off, your moa is getting smaller :wink:.
Good job (y).
Thank you for the posts with photographs!

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice! That rifle and your loads seem very consistent. Congrats on it shooting so well.

Back