Hunting boots

Leo Couvreur

Beginner
May 25, 2022
Can anyone recommend a quality waterproof hunting boot for $150 or less? I am looking for something that is also a good compromise between early and late season. I will just use warmer socks if needed.
Any opinions would be appreciated in narrowing down my search.
Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure on current price but I've been wearing the same pair of Danner Pronghorn for a dozen years or so. Still in good shape and have been very comfortable walking on rocky mountain sides. I like the sewn features of the soles as opposed the most common welded variety. They are not insulated but they are goretex.

I use to wear Danner pronghorns, two of my brothers and Catherine still wear them hunting Chukar in hells canyon. I am better served by Kenetreks. I think at that price point you'll be hard pressed to find a better boot.

Not sure on current price but I've been wearing the same pair of Danner Pronghorn for a dozen years or so. Still in good shape and have been very comfortable walking on rocky mountain sides. I like the sewn features of the soles as opposed the most common welded variety. They are not insulated but they are goretex.

Pronghorns are well beyond $150 these days. :( They're $270 now on Danner's website.

I'd urge the OP to come up with more cash for better boots. I have some $160 boots that are nice, light, waterproof and fine for moderate hiking. I can't recommend them for rough-country hunting. :(

Guy

I use Lacrosse rubber boots for early season and wet conditions. For cold and snow, I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20151118_122753727.jpg
    IMG_20151118_122753727.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 2
Few years back I got LaCrosse Alphaburly 1600gr. I’m happy with them in the wet and cold.

I’ve been wearing the Lacrosse Aerohead boot for years. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore, and I need a new pair for this season, so I purchased a pair of the “Aerohead Sports”. Very similar, so we’ll see.
I can tell you that $150 won’t get you what it used to….
I was also able to purchase a pair of the new version of the Schnee Timberline boot for $280 (please don’t let my wife know😳) they were having a sale, and I’ve been wanting a pair of those for years.

My deer hunting spot can be very wet and I would love a good pair of rubber hunting boots. Unfortunitely I wear a 9EEEE and NONE of the rubber boot manufacturers address wide widths! LaCrosse did when they were made in La Crosse, Wisconsin but once manufacturing was shipped out of the country you can get anything you want as long as you wear a "D" width.

Yeah, you probably won't find any good boots for that price.
I have wore Danners all my life, still have a couple pairs. But there customer service is TERRIBLE!
Bought a pair of Lowa's and they are great hunting boots.

Pronghorns are well beyond $150 these days. :( They're $270 now on Danner's website.

I'd urge the OP to come up with more cash for better boots. I have some $160 boots that are nice, light, waterproof and fine for moderate hiking. I can't recommend them for rough-country hunting. :(

Guy
This was what I was going to say as well. Spend as much as you can on your boots, your feet will thank you.

Back