Hunting bullet for 6.5 Creedmoor

Very happy with the first test of the 130gr Swift Scirocco bullet. I filled my antlerless whitetail tag on a doe tonight at just under 300 yards. I took her through the shoulders on purpose. I usually avoid bone on antlerless tags, but I really wanted to see how this bullet is going to hold up. It did great, punched through both and exited. She dropped in her tracks without a twitch. It is pretty cool watching the deer drop through the scope at 20x, the little 6.5 with the brake just doesn't jump on the shot. Meat damage was minimal, a 1" exit and a wound channel about the same size.

If it keeps performing like this I think it will be my new rifle for muleys and antlerless whitetail. It is much lighter than my 264 win mag. I think I'll have to keep using the 264 for whitetail buck hunting and antelope though, it's been good to me and I can't retire that rifle completely. I might have to try this bullet in the 264 also.

I do like those Sciroccos.. they’ve been great to me.

Congrats on filling the freezer.

Blkram":7eafzgrv said:
Hodgeman, would be interested in hearing what your load for the 130 gr AB is.

45.3gr of Hodgdon Superformance in a Hornaday case.

In my experience with the 130 AccuBond in my 264 Win mag I get the same results as you are getting with the Swift Scirocco on deer from 25 to a touch over 500 yards. I am running it 3350 fps also in the 27 3/4" barrel. So don't over look the Accubonds. Out of a dozen plus deer I have only recovered one. It was from a buck at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet impact was front edge of left scapula and was found against the smashed ball joint in the right ham. Text book mushroom and bullet weighed 87 grs. There is a fellow over on the "specialty pistol" forum that goes by WVhitman that uses nothing but specialty pistols that hunts all over the world. He has tested about every bullet coming and going. In his 6.5-284 using it on a number of deer, he does crop damage control, he did not like the Hornady ELD-X at all, said it was too soft even at long range. He LOVES the Accbonds. He killed some pretty large plains game in Africa with them with stellar performance.

I've taken a ton of game with Accubonds in several rifles. I really like that bullet. I just tried the Scirocco because it showed a significant BC advantage over the AccuBond. I used the 140 AccuBond for quite a while in my 264 win mag, still do sometimes. I was only running it 3k fps. I had a similar shot angle except back to front on my 200" muley. The 140 performed just like your 130 did. I still have that bullet sitting on the frame of the pic of me holding him. I think it retained just a little over 70% and I found it under the hide in the neck on the opposite side of the buck. It started right in front of the hind quarter. It was the only chance I was going to get at 180 yards, and I knew the bullet was capable of penetrating to where it needed to go.

Well since the original post indicated the interest in
the best bullet for mule deer........
However it seams like hunters nowadays prefer to pay for preamium bullets designed for Kudu/Eland/Elk/ Moose for deer hunting, why I dont
know ..........
Many target practice with bullets costing a buck to Two bucks apiece. We are seeing lots of hunters showing up with Hornady Precision ammo. The stuff
Shoots amazing in most rifles. The ELD X bullets wonderful on deer sized game.
Their Superformance line use the SST bullet specifically designed for DEER period. It is loaded as hot as factory ammo gets, I dont think it is quite as accurate as the Precision Hunter, but the extra velocity plus the SST bullet make it our top choice
for Mule/Whitetail from a factory load. Now you can
pay $50/60 a box for premium Ammo in fancy glossy boxes. But you will really just be kidding
yourself.......... They will not kill a deer any better.
But it may make you feel better.
Had the question been whats a great bullet for Kudu
Obviously the answer would be quite different.
Good luck with the Creedmore! I think you will be impressed with its performance with all the ultra high BC of those slippery bullets.
E

Great point Earle.

And I feel the same way about the the Swede. I have yet to find a Mule deer that can withstand a hit from my 6.5 x 55 using the 156 Norma loaded bullet. Check out the S.D. on that combo. Admittedly the 156 Norma load is a stout load compared to factory loads in the States. But I still haven't found a reason to throw the Swede away --

I saw your posts on the coyote thread. I would trade the Swede for Feathers however Good looking pup.

I think they are ignoring you April . Not to worry, they dont recognize my 275 H & H either )-;

You are too late for Earle's pup, I already have a plan to steal, I mean for the pup to be an accidental stowaway soon

Actually April, I had a conversation with some folks back east and from what I hear, nobody wants a Swede because you need a large action and it doesn't shoot 1000 yards as well. I know both those reasons will impress you,

Oh I forgot the 156 gr is also outdated and to large and--well you get the idea

Common girl, you need a Creedmore!

Thankful Otter":k0ao8can said:
I think they are ignoring you April . Not to worry, they dont recognize my 275 H & H either )-;

You are too late for Earle's pup, I already have a plan to steal, I mean for the pup to be an accidental stowaway soon

Actually April, I had a conversation with some folks back east and from what I hear, nobody wants a Swede because you need a large action and it doesn't shoot 1000 yards as well. I know both those reasons will impress you,

Oh I forgot the 156 gr is also outdated and to large and--well you get the idea

Common girl, you need a Creedmore!

HA! I have both the Creed and Swede, can't throw rocks at either one of them!

thats o.k. cheyenne. It is a guy thing. The new girl is young, pretty, is more agile and fast and it is easy to forget who they originally brought to the dance.

Did Scotty move to Utah, he has both of them Lol

To the O.P., sorry for the diversion, lets get back to the original question

Hunting bullet for the Creedmore. Not a clue But, if, the Swede should ever enter your world, try the 156, handloaded or Norma

Europe":3jfz2y2w said:
thats o.k. cheyenne. It is a guy thing. The new girl is young, pretty, is more agile and fast and it is easy to forget who they originally brought to the dance.

Did Scotty move to Utah, he has both of them Lol

To the O.P., sorry for the diversion, lets get back to the original question

Hunting bullet for the Creedmore. Not a clue But, if, the Swede should ever enter your world, try the 156, handloaded or Norma

Or the 140/130 AccuBond... Those two would be darned good as well. I use the 140 Accubonds in my Swede. Love em.

And you would be correct. My son also prefers that combination over the 156 Norma.

Old habits die hard Scotty

He says he can do anything with that load I can do with mine only at longer distances

Scotty, just a quick question. Where is your son now, is he, in country ? You and your wife have to be so proud. Be sure and tell him we said "thank you"

Europe":1idvndgc said:
And you would be correct. My son also prefers that combination over the 156 Norma.

Old habits die hard Scotty

He says he can do anything with that load I can do with mine only at longer distances

Scotty, just a quick question. Where is your son now, is he, in country ? You and your wife have to be so proud. Be sure and tell him we said "thank you"

He was just home for 3 weeks from the Far East. He’s doing very well. I’m very proud of him!

April,
Great advice on the Sweede! I used the factory Norma 156 on New Zealands South Isle
back in the 80's on big Red Stag and it would flatten them no problem.......
Hope you had a great Holidays. Cheyenne wants to steal "feathers" and whisk her off
to the high Arctic and make her into a " white bear tracker".
Love to hear more about the 275 H&H.
E
20190214_083922.jpg

Earle, it is marginally a tad more then the 7mm Rem, but very close. Woodleigh provides 160 and 175 bullets for it.
It would make a dandy wolf and caribou rifle but I dont carry it . If it is a dedicated goat or sheep hunt in the south then I take it and it works very well. 300 P.B. I never even thought about the rifle but after someone found out I had a 300 and 375 H & H. They gifted me the 275 H & H. The idea was to round out the H & H.s but it has become my dedicated goat/sheep rifle.

When we go south my husband uses a 270 Weatherby, which is considerably less rife than the 275 H & H--I just can't seem to help myself

Scotty. That is fantastic. We are all proud of him, we watched him grew into a man.

Cheyenne,
I looked it up as I remembered there was something
"Strange" about the 275 ouch & ouch. It was the bore
diameter...... Is it not .287???. Having had alot to do with the 375H&H ( it saved my life more than once) I bet that .275 makes a wonderful light rifle! Those long sleek cartridges load up like greased lightening!
I started guiding Alaska with a 7mm RM first couple
seasons, then switched to the 300WM, but there really wasnt much difference. It wasnt until I got my
.375 Sako that I really felt confident I could handle any Bear situation I got myself into! It took the fight right out of the worst of them...........
There was a world of difference imho when it came to bears. Speaking of 7mm. I am very impressed with how these 7mm/08's kill things; I am a dyed in tbe wool .270 guy since the 70's but I gotta admit the
7mm/08 is a very impressive cartridge! I am old fashioned and have never worryed about pulling
the bolt back 3/8" further so never really got onboard
the "short action" train, and have always traveled on the other side of that track.
Some olde habits die hard.......

Earle, headed out to work, so wont be able to respond back, but wanted to get back and let you know we are all glad you had that 375 and it kept you safe, otherwise we would not be able to enjoy your excellent advise now!

I am surprised you didn't have a 348. It is my understanding they were fairly popular at that time in that area.

also wanted you to know that April's granddaughter recently used her 7mm-08 to harvest 5 ( I think 5 ) different plains game in Africa and before that she used it for Ibex in Spain and Moose in N.A., so I am sure she agrees with you

Also I recently told a friend that I thought you said hunting Red Stag in N. Z, was not a hard hunt and that, they might want to look at hunting them in Argentina.

And last but not least my apologizes to the OP, as we took this thread waaaaaaaay of track

35 Whelen":15ghp45r said:
April,
Great advice on the Sweede! I used the factory Norma 156 on New Zealands South Isle
back in the 80's on big Red Stag and it would flatten them no problem.......
Hope you had a great Holidays. Cheyenne wants to steal "feathers" and whisk her off
to the high Arctic and make her into a " white bear tracker".
Love to hear more about the 275 H&H.
E

Heck with bullets, I want to hear more about that Airsheen![emoji1]. PA12?

GB,
Yes its our Super Cruiser. Had a few of them over the
years........ This is a really lite one at 1065lbs! Great
old airplanes.
E

Back