Hunting pistol in 250 Savage on the cheap- recomendations?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Hey all-- A combination of XP Hunters post about a new Nosler pistol and todays trip to the surgeon and some stupid MN regulations that make a pistol legal in the "shotgun only zone" for deer have me thinking about a piston in 250-3000 Savage for deer next year. Knowing there is limited funds, whats the best way to get into a pistol in 250 Savage cheaply? Photos of your options make for interesting reading. Thanks CL

Last edited:
Hey all-- A combination of XP Hunters post about a new Nosler pistol and todays trip to the surgeon and some stupid MN regulations that make a pistol legal in the "shotgun only zone" for deer have me thinking about a piston in 250-3000 Savage for deer next year. Knowing there is no budget, whats the best way to get into a pistol in 250 Savage cheaply? Photos of your options make for interesting reading. Thanks CL
Does the regulation allow any pistol? Montana requires them to be a straight wall cartridge not originally developed for a rifle, and limits the barrel to 10.5". Just curious.
But the cheapest way in would likely be a Thompson contender/encore.

Does the regulation allow any pistol? Montana requires them to be a straight wall cartridge not originally developed for a rifle, and limits the barrel to 10.5". Just curious.
But the cheapest way in would likely be a Thompson contender/encore.
I Forget what the minimum Calibre size is. Two guys I go with use use 300 Blackout in an AR "pistol" platform (legal) . I know 357 is legal. One fella used to use a Magnum Research 30-06. As I said, the reg is stupid. Its meant to limit the "dangerous distance" of a cartridge. "legislated safety" if you ask me.... instead of safety between the ears. CL

As mentioned above the TC may be your best option.
Might also want to see if the Savage Striker was so chambered.

The Thompson Center with a 14" barrel with a pistol scope shot off cross sticks is a hand rifle and will reach way out and touch something. One in 35 Remington loaded with 158gr pistol bullets is deadly at close range and light recoil.
I shoot my TC Contender with a long bipod attached to the forearm in a sitting position with a rifle scope on it.

Hey all-- A combination of XP Hunters post about a new Nosler pistol and todays trip to the surgeon and some stupid MN regulations that make a pistol legal in the "shotgun only zone" for deer have me thinking about a piston in 250-3000 Savage for deer next year. Knowing there is limited funds, whats the best way to get into a pistol in 250 Savage cheaply? Photos of your options make for interesting reading. Thanks CL
Hacksaw? :sneaky:

Your best bet is to find an undesignated action.
Here is a couple places , not sure if these are sold undesignated would need to call and find out.

Other then the savage you could do; virgin Remington action $450+/-
Triger $150
Chambered barrel $350
Bottom metal $150 or (single shot $50)
Stock....upto $700 for a Manners but less expensive options including chassis type
Plus smith charges

As mentioned above the TC may be your best option.
Might also want to see if the Savage Striker was so chambered.
Strikers were chambered in 250. The ones Ive seen could be sold to finance two rifles:eek::mad:. CL

The Thompson Center with a 14" barrel with a pistol scope shot off cross sticks is a hand rifle and will reach way out and touch something. One in 35 Remington loaded with 158gr pistol bullets is deadly at close range and light recoil.
I shoot my TC Contender with a long bipod attached to the forearm in a sitting position with a rifle scope on it.
TD- I figure thats most likely what I can afford. Now the trick is finding one...CL

Ebay is full of parts for them and naturally Gun Broker is loaded with guns. (Don't get price sticker shock)
You might be better off buying a frame with grips and go from there to get the caliber you want since you can buy a new barrel from ED Brown's web site.
The high-performance rifle cartridges will recoil and you need strong hands for them unless you get a barrel with a brake and then the muzzle blast can be rather bad depending on the type of brake it has on it, the muzzle blast from a 14" braked barrel can be worse than the recoil just remember you are shooting a hand cannon.

T/C would definitely be a good way to go. Not sure if a Contender would handle the pressure of the 250 Savage so you might have to go with an Encore.
A couple of options in the Contender would be the 7-30 Waters or the 7mm TCU which is based off the 223 Rem. I have a 7-30 Waters and it's pretty easy to hit 200 and 300 yards with it.

JD338

Back