I can't decide......

remington700

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
I'm gonna be reloading some 7mm Rem. Mag. soon and can't decide what bullet to use. It's gonna be a long range round. It's gonna be either a Hornady A-max or a Sierra bullet. I'm thinking around a 160 gr. I don't know if I should get a hollow point or full metal jacket or....? Which is best for long range? Thanks.

Nosler BT or AccuBond, Berger VLDs, Sierra BTHP Gameking. Try them all at a range allowing you to practice out to 500yds. or to the range you plan to hunt. Your rifle will tell you which will do best at certain ranges.Rick.

Rick has given some good advice. When you say long range, how long do you have in mind? Are you thinking of punching paper or using the bullet for game? While both of the bullets you mention are good bullets, the Sierra would be better for killing game cleanly, I should think. The A-max has a thinner jacket, and while it is certainly adequate for deer, it would not be the best choice for other game. However, don't overlook the AccuBond or the Ballistic Tip, each of which are excellent bullets both for game and for accuracy.

The 7mm Remington Magnum is a great calibre. I've used mine to take a wide variety of game. It works, nothing more needs to be said. Mine handles a variety of 175 and 160 grain bullets with equal aplomb. If this is your first, I'm certain you're going to like it.

remington700

Can you tell us a little more. Are you looking for a target bullet or hunting bullet? What range do you plan on shooting to?

I can tell you that the 160 gr AB is an excellent game bullet for long range hunting. The BC is .531, lower than the VLD offerings BUT predictable on game performance.

JD338

in my 7mm rem mag i am loading sierra bullets. but it is my long range gun. rl22 and the 175gr sierra BTSP, my second choice is the 160gr HPBT game king, H4831. the old barrel shot 140gr ballistic tips h4831. what twist barrel, you are using will decide the bullet. 1-10.5" 140-160, 1-9" 160-175 is my opinion

I too agree. The only bullet I used in my 7mm Mag. for 30 years was the 160 NP. I made several long range kills with this bullet. Following my conversion to the 7mm RUM I switched to the 160 AB. A great bullet :grin:

160 AccuBond is the best high b.c. Hunting bullet out there for long range. 160 Partition in a great all around big game bullet from deer to moose. I shot and killed a mule deer at 286 yards with that bullet from my 7 rem mag two seasons ago. Surprisingly that bullet will shoot 5 shots touching at 100 yards with no paper in between holes. Partitions...who'd a thunk it? It will shoot a 5 1'4" three shot group at 400 yards out of my factory M70 w/BOSS, witnessed by Antelope_Sniper on this forum.

I have recently found a tight shooting load with the 160 AccuBond and plan to use this bullet for elk/deer season this year. This bullet is my top choice because of it's universalness and long range ability out here in the plains and high country. Here are the loads that work for me:

160 AccuBond, 62.5 RL-22, Fed215M, FC brass
160 Partition/PT Gold, 63.0 RL-22, Fed215M, FC or Frontier brass, 2911 FPS chronied, 26" 9 twist bbl

Long range round for what? Target, hunting? If hunting what game?

sorry bout that guys i should have been thinking to give you more info. im gonna be hunting with it and hope to shoot up to about 700 yards. ill be hunting deer, antelope, and black bear with it. i wish i could get bergers or nosler but they cost alot more. i think im goin to go with the sierra 160 HPBT gameking. thanks for all the input.

Not that Sierra makes a bad bullet, but if you are looking at taking shots to 700 yards, don't you think the animal deserves your extra effort (or coin) to use a premium bullet like the Partition or AccuBond? Personally, I'd be more concerned with what my bullet will be doing to the animal once it gets there...if you know what I mean. On the thin skinned stuff, you will probably be fine. On the heavier game I'd worry about the penetration you may or may not get. With all due respect, I'd spend the extra cash and buy something accurate and strong.

The bullet is one of the cheapest components, so don't skimp there....

remington700

With out doubt, the 160 gr AB is all the bullet you need. It will give you predictable on game performance to 700 yds easy. Shooters Pro Shop and Bivwak both sell factory seconds. Its all I shoot for load development, target shooting and hunting, My personal best group of .092" c/c was with my 280 AI shooting 160 gr AB factory seconds.

JD338

For long range you dont need an overly aggressive bullet. YOu want the bullet to disrupt tissue, not just go through like a FMJ. Theres a lot more to it then that, but a NP is not a bullet to use past about 500-600 yards. Yes to most thats as far as you need to be shooting, but for those who can and do shoot further, you need a plastic tipped or target bullet. This is where things get tricky. I believe the AB to be about the best of both worlds. It has a relatively high BC, will do the job both close range and long range, and is accurate enough to do the job at long range.

I have and use a 7 RM for long range deer/bear/elk out to 800 yards, and have used and tested quitea a few bullets from 140-180g. I"ve used 140g NBT's, 160g ab, 162g amax, 168g vld, 175g sgk, 180g vld. My rifle is a tuned up rem 700 that shoots .3-.75 MOA out to 800 yards. The only powder I've tried with the above bullets is RL-22 and it shoots beutifully with every bullet.

I would just go on to say that if you are wanting to use 1 bullet for LR hunting/shooting, dont use a target bullet. They will give erratic performance at best. Use an AB, NBT, Scirocco, SST, something of that nature. At long range you dont need a bullet to hold 90% of its weight as the impact velocity is going to be between 1500-2000fps. THis is why you need a lighter constructed bullet. It still however needs to penetrate through shoulders if the chance arises, which at LR and at the low working impact velocity, it wont be a problem with any of those bullets. I would only wonder about 100y shots or less on heavy bone, however if the shots are that close you can put it behind the shoulder cant you??

You can get the 7 RM to have 1000ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards quite easily with the right bullet/load, and thats enough to kill any elk that walks providing you do your part.

I agree Remingtonman, but I think I would use the Interbond before the SST. In my experience , if you use the SST at short ranges & high velocities it has a nasty habit of turning itself inside out & taking a lot of meat with it :( I use the 160 AB in my 7mm RUM at 3425 ft./sec. Took a deer at 100 yds. 2 years ago. Just back of the shoulder, the exit hole was 2" & the lungs had a fist size hole in what was left of them. Last fall I took a deer at 348 yds. It dropped so fast, I wasn't sure if it had, or run into the trees. Same results, even at that range. The area I hunt in is more apt to offer up a long shot than a short. :)

THe 162g amax is a very fast expanding bullet. The jacket is like butter. I wouldn't use it on deer again, or bear, from my experiences with it on deer. Its more of a varmint bullet then a big game bullet IMHO. I was only shooting them at 2900fps and they just blew up to much on bone, even at 790 yards which was the last buck I took with them.

I would really try to go with the 160g AB if I was you.

If it really comes down to the sierra gameking or hornady amax, definately go with the sierra gameking.

I just bought 100 160 Accubonds for my new WBY MKV 7mm WBY mag. Gun should be here tomorrow. 3150 fps easy!

Back