I might buy a marlin guide gun this week- what scope to put

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I like the looks of the 1-4 type 20mm on guide guns, I was thinking weaver 1-3x, nikon 1-4, or maybe looking for a used leupold. any other suggestions what do you guys think would be good.

I have a VX-3 1.75-6X32mm in a Standard base with low rngs on my Guide gun. This scope is small and bright!

JD338

RR,

I second Jim's suggestion; the Leupold 1.75-6X32 would snuggle quite nice atop the Guide Gun. I like the additional power as my eyes are not what they used to be. Another option is the VX3 1.5-5X20, which is surprising clear and crisp. I have atop one of my lever rifles, a 2.5-8X36, which is a great fit. Since you say you like the looks of the 20mm objective, however, then the 1.5-5X20 Leupold may well be worth a look.

Any of the shorties look great. 1-4 1.5-5 1.75-6 etc.

Here is a picture of my 1895 Guide 45-70 with the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm.
IMG_0309.jpg

JD338

I'm partial to the little 2.5x compact/ultralight Leupold on the 1895 or the Guide Gun:

IMG_0147.jpg

Here is a picture of my Guide Rifle with the 2x7 Leupold SABR scope on it, with the XS rail and Leupold QRW Low Rings. The scope matches up ballistically to the 45-70 out to 300 yards, so it does allow you to shoot out to 300 with holdover marks. I love it and it is fast. Jims :eupold on his Guide Rifle is pretty awesome also, but I wanted something to be able to lob bullets at longer range a little easier. Hope you get the Guide Rifle, they are an awesome package and very versatile. Scotty

DSC03386.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

DSC03388.jpg

I would love a leupold 1.5-5 on it. just don't have the change right now. I might look for a used leupold. I love the german post cross hairs. I have a leupold vx2 2-7 post #2 on my 35 whelen. a leupold vx2 4-12 #4 on my 264 wm. and an older4x leupold post&crosshair on my contender 45-70.

I got dry car battery acid in my right eye years ago and since that E.R. visit crosshairs with thicker reticules work better for me.

RogueRiver":wiq0t3kb said:
I would love a leupold 1.5-5 on it. just don't have the change right now. I might look for a used leupold. I love the german post cross hairs. I have a leupold vx2 2-7 post #2 on my 35 whelen. a leupold vx2 4-12 #4 on my 264 wm. and an older4x leupold post&crosshair on my contender 45-70.

I got dry car battery acid in my right eye years ago and since that E.R. visit crosshairs with thicker reticules work better for me.
RR

Sorry to hear about your accident.
Keep in mind that Leupold's custom shop can change out reticles for you.

JD338

THe 2 post was done by preimer optics when they use to do customs, the 4 x12 wasdone at the leupold custom shop

The fixed 2.5 is pretty tough to beat, especially with a german post reticle. The 2.5x scout scope is another pretty handy setup for a guide gun.

That would be a good one too. I have a Burris 2x7 on a BLR 358 Win. Pretty decent scope for the money and has held up pretty well so far. Either way, looking forward to seeing some groups from it. The 45-70 is one awesome cartridge and the Guide Rifle makes it that much cooler! Scotty

I would look around for a used 2.5 Leupold, that's what I did. I've seen them go for under $140 on some boards. I just put one on my 1895G and I love it.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 scope on my .45-70. With this scope it shoots about MOA groups.

Back