416 Ruger 77

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up a ruger 77 in 416 ruger the other day. It cans in the hogue stock. The guy I got it from had taken it to Africa and used it a fair bit here in. Ak but just didn’t have need of anything this big any more.

I found a takeoff ruger guide laminated stock on eBay that turned up to be local. I picked it up yesterday. It was a perfect fit.

I’m still trying to decide what optic to put on it. The short list is leupold vx3 hd 1-5x20, vx3 hd 2.5-8x36, trijicon 1-4 or 1-6 with German n4.

Attachments

• IMG_5219.jpeg
    IMG_5219.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5218.jpeg
    IMG_5218.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 13
That is a really good looking rifle. I don't own, and never have owned, any of those scopes. That said, there are a few things I would consider:
- What are you wanting to use it for?
- I noticed one of those is a 2.5x base magnification; for me, I would go with one of the 1x base scopes because I would use something like that up close.
- Because in my mind, I would be using it close, I would wonder about light gathering and how easy the reticle is to pick up

And, now I want to buy a .416 Ruger. You know, just because it seems everyone else is getting one... :D

That should prove to be a great rifle! What a thumper....

I understand that some of the wood-stocked 375 & 416 Rugers had issues, splitting the stock at the tang. I don't know if that was ever a problem with the laminated stocks. Kinda doubt it, laminated stocks are awfully strong. :)

Guy

The laminated stock will provide added stability and strength, not to mention some extra weight - which isn't a bad thing for this caliber! I know that you are going to have fun with this one! Enjoy, and may it bring you grand adventures forever in your favour!;)

I would ensure that it was glass and pillar bedded and the action screws blue loctited so that they stay in place - most of the issues with stocks cracking in the stock is when the action screws get loose and the action is moving in the stock during recoil allows thee back of the action to slam back into the stock and splitting the stock at the tang. Happened to me when they didn't put crossbolts in my stock when I had my 376 Steyr built. Crossbolts, glass bedding and pillar bedding resolved that issue in the new stock!

As for the scope, any of your choices would be fine. The 1 power would give just a bit more field of view for up close and personal as mentioned, and the 30mm tube on the Trijicon would also aid in this (just a little heavier - which really isn't an issue with this rifle set up).
Partly why I chose the Trijicon on my 416 Taylor (and I wanted to play with that tritium green triangle post reticle). I liked the brightness of that green post! They make it in red and yellow too, but our eyes lose those colours sooner than green under low light conditions, so I chose green for best all around performance. And as for accuracy, I had no problems shooting sub .5MOA groups with that triangle. It is also very quick to pick up when mounting the rifle, which is a good thing in dire circumstances!
And as for the Leupold 1.5-5x20, you just cannot go wrong with this scope on a dangerous game rifle! Arguably, the best DG riflescope ever to be taken afield! And works just fine when called upon to shoot 2 or 300 yards.

That should prove to be a great rifle! What a thumper....

I understand that some of the wood-stocked 375 & 416 Rugers had issues, splitting the stock at the tang. I don't know if that was ever a problem with the laminated stocks. Kinda doubt it, laminated stocks are awfully strong. :)

Guy
I can tell you from personal experience that even the laminated stocks can have that issue. This was with a 375 Ruger so would be even more of a potential issue with the 416. Getting a proper bedding job done would be money well spent.

Congratulations on your 416 pick up. Seems to be getting popular on here.

Congratulations on your 416 Ruger. It's a serious stopping rifle. If only Nosler would offer a 350 gr AB! The Speer 350 gr Mag Tip is a decent choice, as bell as the 400 gr PT and Barnes 350 gr TTSX.

JD338

Finally got the ruger to the range. I still haven’t gotten a scope yet but thought I would like to make sure the open sights were on. The recoil was quite brisk but not unmanageable. I wouldn’t want to shoot too many from a bench but standing wasn’t too bad if you kept a tight grip on it. I shot two 3 shot groups at 25 and 50 yards. I’m not going to win any bench rest tournament’s but had I been shooting at a bear he would have been having a bad day.

I even shot a few at the steel bear at 300 yards. The front bead pretty much covered the entire bear at 300 yards. I was able to hit it a few times before my shoulder had had enough.

The higher 7th shot was my buddy trying it. Once was enough for him!

Attachments

• IMG_5324.jpeg
    IMG_5324.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5334.jpeg
    IMG_5334.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5323.jpeg
    IMG_5323.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 13
I had the 1.5-5 VX-3HD. It was a good scope. I had it on the WRONG rifle, though, so I sent it down the road. You wouldn't go wrong with it.

Good looking gun. I recommend getting that sucker bedded because even my 25-06 MkII had a split laminated stock.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 5
I bet a red dot optic would make for a quick action stopping rifle. Trijicon would be my choice.

JD338

I bet a red dot optic would make for a quick action stopping rifle. Trijicon would be my choice.

JD338
I had that thought on my 458 WM at one time.
Finally got the ruger to the range. I still haven’t gotten a scope yet but thought I would like to make sure the open sights were on. The recoil was quite brisk but not unmanageable. I wouldn’t want to shoot too many from a bench but standing wasn’t too bad if you kept a tight grip on it. I shot two 3 shot groups at 25 and 50 yards. I’m not going to win any bench rest tournament’s but had I been shooting at a bear he would have been having a bad day.

I even shot a few at the steel bear at 300 yards. The front bead pretty much covered the entire bear at 300 yards. I was able to hit it a few times before my shoulder had had enough.

No braked 416 from the bench 😁 , that’s what fun is all about.

Just had a brief standoff with a young brown bear in my chicken coop. Felt good to have the ruger freshly tested. Luckily he minded his manners and left without incident

If that is the factory recoil pad, replace it with a LimbSaver; it will make a difference!
A mercury recoil reducer could also be an option for you.
Your shoulder will thank you!

If that is the factory recoil pad, replace it with a LimbSaver; it will make a difference!
A mercury recoil reducer could also be an option for you.
Your shoulder will thank you!
Does limbsaver make a direct replace t pad?

Back