I See It Just Around The Corner - 30-06

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Things are starting to look good. I am starting to get around half inch groups fairly regular now and I see that touching three shot group just around the corner for this out of the box wood stock Hawkeye. This is using Nosler Brass.

IMG_8436.jpg

bullet,

Nice group. What bullet are you shooting?

JD338

Wonderful.... good on you for your persistence.

JD338":gra1xuxe said:
bullet,

Nice group. What bullet are you shooting?

JD338

150gr Sierra, but I have got to get some 180gr BT's and 168gr BT's but I am out at the present. I really would like to get some 180gr BT's because that would be perfect for my 30-06 if they shoot good. Considering the design of the the Ballistic and the velocities I would be pushing them at, they would open up perfect, say together and would be in my opinion a real killer on everything but the real large. This rifle shoots heavy, medium and light bullets consistently, that is why I believe there is that 1/4" group waiting for me to find it.

I think I am close, real close to understanding the uniqueness of this 30-06. That touching three shot group can run, it can hide but I will find it because I know it is there somewhere.

When I first started shooting this rifle and posting my beginning work I had a few write me and say, "you need to bed that rifle or freefloat it". One person said I needed to put a man made stock on it.

Well, I just wanted (because I believed this rifle has potential), to demonstrate that you do not have to go to the expense and effort to customize it. When your rifle shows some signs of promise as this one did when I started working up loads and it began to tighten the groups. I know this rifle can do it. Now I will agree that this is hunting accuracy but there is a special load this rifle likes and I am about to figure it out.

POP":3cciz8pu said:
Wonderful.... good on you for your persistence.

Yes POP, I don't let go, I didn't when in a fight and I am not letting go here either.

Way to go bullet. 2 clicks right ought to do you. That load is a shooter. :grin: :grin:

I will be testing out to 300 and 400yds when I settle on a load. I will be trying this coming week 180gr bullets. Sierra SPT, Nosler AccuBond, Nosler Partition, Speer SPT, Speer Mag Tip, Speer RN. I would prefer a 180gr bullet to be my load so that it maintains energy and momentum at extended ranges. I will also try the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip but have to orders some.

Scott Spencer":1x8aoh84 said:
Bullet -

Do you buy a new rifle every other week? :lol:

Use to but not anymore. I am living with a 22-250, 30-06, 358Win and 300Wby and my Ruger 44mag as my main go to guns.

Back