I think I have had it with Cabela's

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
Due to the moderater at cables forum deleteing any post that referances any product they do not sell (demed as compatition) I think I done with what was a longtime retailer / cutsomer relationship (28yrs). There is nothing they have I can't get else where.

Mentioning a nuway propane blind and tent stove in answer to a post on tent stoves received a complete deletion of the post and proved to me with out a shadow of a dout they have no clue what real ethics are or how to be curtious to the customers. This was far for the first time they have deleated conversations with solid engineering about some new product because it could decrease sells of just one model out of say 30-40 others they also sell. Remember Cabela's is the largest retailer of outdoor grear (so what can we discuss).

I have also seen on countless ocasions where posters that were not just rude but intentionaly use fowl languge to insult someone with a different view on a technical matter that didn't suport the newest trend. The moderator would only delete the four letter words and leave the core insulates and attacks in the posts. This because the facts on the technical issue could lower sales on that new trend or fad they are pushing to sell.

In short if Cabels dosen't sell it you can't disscuse it in a favorable light, and if they do sell it and its just a snake oil product you still can't discuss it if your exposeing it with solid engineering of scientific facts.

Cabela's standard reply "WE BELEIVE IN THE HIGHEST STANDARD OF ETHICS HERE AT CABELA'S" Thats no different than accusing someone of lieing just before you tell your biggest lie (a smoke screen). Or at the least you have to know what ethics are if you plan to follow them.

I get about six hard covered Cabela's catalogs per year, They have lost one customer here

I do apreciate forums where sportsman can discuss outdoor issues and products I view Nosler's forum as a tool not just as a privlage of us users but so Nosler can also keep track of their compitision and the needs of their custumers through their form users coments.

Big statements on my part what have you noticed lately.

I think the issue here is that Cabelas doesn't want to support the selling of competitive products on their own dime. It's a slippery slope (like Gun Control) and I can see where you would not really be out of line, but it is still the camel's nose under the tent. I post over there, also, and have seen your posts many times, and they are informative and helpful. I guess the bottom line issue is that Cabelas has the right to control content on their forum just like you have the right to shop elsewhere. I applaud you for putting your money where your mouth is, but I also understand the 'private property rights' at issue for Cabela's as far as their forums are concerned. I can say that discussing alternative products or suppliers is not an issue, as I have done it many times. The issue comes when you directly list links to sites that sell products. Listing the manufacturer's site has always been alright, as long as it is not a selling website. The long and the short of it is that you are free to do as you please, as is Cabela's, and I'm happy to live in a country that recognizes this fundamental freedom.

Its censorship. Too bad you can't have freedom of the press (within reason).

At least you can talk about competitive products here. :lol:
We can all learn from it.

JD338

Yep, Just adds to Noslers creditability....We can talk about who ever we want, but nothing speaks louder then small groups and big stack of steaks...

I'll add that you can talk about whatever you want (within reason and on topic) at the Cabela's forum. You just can't post links to sites that sell stuff and compete with Cabela's. It's got nothing to do with freedom of the press or freedom of speech. If you come into my house, I can (and will) restrict what you say on the premises in some situations. I've talked openly on the Cabela's board about other retailers, and there's a whole thread about Cabela's v. BassProShops that has plenty good and bad both ways that isn't shut down, as well as many other instances. The issue Tjen is having has to do with posting a link to a website that directly sells something that competes with Cabela's sales. Nosler is kind enough to allow links here, but then again, Nosler isn't directly selling anything here, like Cabela's, so the comparison is not entirely fair and accurate.

I'm not trying to be a spoiler here, but it's a private property rights issue, and a slippery slope, as I said earlier. Another good example is the smoking bans in restaurants in many cities across this country. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and it is a violation of private property rights. Now, understand that I don't smoke, don't like smoke, and don't like to eat with the smell of smoke around me. But I also know that the business owner ought to have the right to determine what happens within the establishment they pay to maintain and operate. If I don't like it, I don't have to work there or eat there. The scary thing is that this smoking prohibition is now being pushed into private residences where people have children and the parents smoke. Scary stuff.

If I want to dictate what happens in my home, business, or on my website, that's fair, isn't it?

Antelope_Sniper":1aimoedh said:
Yep, Just adds to Noslers creditability....We can talk about who ever we want, but nothing speaks louder then small groups and big stack of steaks...

Well Said A_S. +1

JD338

Whats funny is I typed www and the manfactures name and pressto a link is formed. Now I don't have the time to reseach what they do or don't sell and just auidting the link would be just fine.

Whats realy the burr under the saddle is the moderator selectively audits or deletes posts between me and him to ententionaly deseive readers. And then states there ehthics are posted on the office walls and followed. This has been an on going thing for say a year. I first thought it to be just PC.

Life isn't fare or expected to be, but those type of actions I view as intentional and low. If someone with even the lowest of standards trips on one I'll help him get to his feet again. But what can you do with someone whos ducts and hides behide which ever standard is handy.

Thanks guy's I have some 40gr B-tips to load for my Hornet tonight.
Tomorrow I'll be back on huning /reloading subjects.

old #7":3fmweo95 said:
Nosler4":3fmweo95 said:
At least you can talk about competitive products here. :lol:

Until now!! Aaaah ha ha ha ha!!! :twisted: :twisted:

That is so funny.
You guys have great products and a great sense of humor. :grin:

When you have a consistent product that preforms as well as the Nosler line of products, you find yourself as a company not afraid of competition nor do you panic when some other company puts out a new product. Nosler knows their product, they know it is a quality product and it meets the demands of the reloader, shooter and hunter. It is called confidence gained from years of doing it right.

Just a thought, rather than eliminating the posts, the moderator should use the information about products being mentioned on their site (that they don't carry) as a sort of market survey. If a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon for a particular product, forward that information to the marketing and buyers group for inclusion in their products to sell. If not much interest, don't worry about it as they aren't going to loose much in sales anyway.

Steve

That's what I would do if I was running the business.
Customer Surveys can be expensive, and if you can get feedback for free...BONUS.

Thy are entirely too proud of their stuff. You know like $20.00 Cabelas drawers!!! :p

If I want to dictate what happens in my home, business, or on my website, that's fair, isn't it?
Yep, that's very fair. I've had to tell someone more then once "We don't accept that kind of talk in this house".....and some of them have chosen to talk their talk elsewhere....and I guess that's the other part of what makes this country great...of course the course Cabella's is a business, and they have the right to control their own website....and from time to time, I imagine some folks will decide to do their business elsewhere...
Great Country isn't it?

tjen":1hy3sigc said:
Due to the moderater at cables forum deleteing any post that referances any product they do not sell (demed as compatition) I think I done with what was a longtime retailer / cutsomer relationship (28yrs). There is nothing they have I can't get else where.

Mentioning a nuway propane blind and tent stove in answer to a post on tent stoves received a complete deletion of the post and proved to me with out a shadow of a dout they have no clue what real ethics are or how to be curtious to the customers. This was far for the first time they have deleated conversations with solid engineering about some new product because it could decrease sells of just one model out of say 30-40 others they also sell. Remember Cabela's is the largest retailer of outdoor grear (so what can we discuss).

I have also seen on countless ocasions where posters that were not just rude but intentionaly use fowl languge to insult someone with a different view on a technical matter that didn't suport the newest trend. The moderator would only delete the four letter words and leave the core insulates and attacks in the posts. This because the facts on the technical issue could lower sales on that new trend or fad they are pushing to sell.

In short if Cabels dosen't sell it you can't disscuse it in a favorable light, and if they do sell it and its just a snake oil product you still can't discuss it if your exposeing it with solid engineering of scientific facts.

Cabela's standard reply "WE BELEIVE IN THE HIGHEST STANDARD OF ETHICS HERE AT CABELA'S" Thats no different than accusing someone of lieing just before you tell your biggest lie (a smoke screen). Or at the least you have to know what ethics are if you plan to follow them.

I get about six hard covered Cabela's catalogs per year, They have lost one customer here

I do apreciate forums where sportsman can discuss outdoor issues and products I view Nosler's forum as a tool not just as a privlage of us users but so Nosler can also keep track of their compitision and the needs of their custumers through their form users coments.

Big statements on my part what have you noticed lately.

Were I a mod there, I would have deleted your posts based on your atrocious spelling alone.

Were I a mod here, I would delete you from the forum completely for your habitually destructive posts and talking down to everyone here in your most recent posts. Now, I thought you wanted to talk bullets and reloading. Guess not. You have no credibility and worse you are a hypocrite. Feel free to spell check me and check into getting a life while you're at it.

Back