If you could build a dream rifle, what would it be?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Since I am building mine I was wondering what yours would be.

Be specific.

Well I just built one, (almost done, I am doing the machine work and have yet to finish the chambering, problem is the lathe is 200 miles away). But it is my version of a dream 1k target rifle..

However, my next dream build would be similar, must have the following:

- BAT LPRB multi facet action
- 30" barrel, 1.25 d whole length, Broughton, Kreiger, or Brux..
- 4 port, 10* SSG Brake
- Custom Russo stock of my design incorporating a 5" forearm patterned after the MBR. Either in Walnut and Ebony or Dymonwood laminate (Dymonwood is very dense, not typically used in stocks).
- 12x42 NXS
- Jewell Trigger.
- 308 or 338 Baer

All subject to change, daily... :lol:

Rod

Another 6mm Remington to compliment my Ruger #1B in 6mm.

Ruger MKII long action, or new Winchester Model 70 long action (short action if the magazine length is 3.00 inches) to take allow the 6mm to have bullets seated out where they should be with plenty of magazine room. An action with a 3.000 magazine length would be perfect so 100 grain Partitions and Accubonds (dream Nosler 8) could be seated to 2.860 or thereabouts and feed and function fine. Trigger adjusted to 3 pounds.

Shilen 24" standard sporter contour barrel, 1-in-9 twist.

Boyds JRS nutmeg laminate stock with checkering put onto it. Stock both pillar bedded and glass bedded. Barrel floating.

Leupold 4.5x14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle.

I also need to replace that .280 Remington I HAD to sell. I would like to use a Ruger MKII or Winchester Model 70 (new ones) action for it. Everything else same as for the 6mm I would love to build that I listed above. Only thing on the .280 I might do differently is to stick with the 6x by 42mm Leupold scope. I can't help it, I just like the simplicity and ruggedness of the fixed power scopes.

280 REMINGTON you would think would be on most everyones dream list, it's that good! :p

Well I would have to go with a 338 edge or something of the like. Put a 30" barrel and a good break on it. Put a big Mark 4 on it, a good crisp trigger, and a McMillan stock.

Either that or a 416 Barrett with the same scope on it!

Well, outside of factory guns, I've got a running list of stuff I'd like to create along the way. I'd like a sporter in 6.5-280RCBS Improved, with a 24" barrel and a nice walnut stock. I'd like a matched pair of CRF-actioned, polished blue, AAA Walnut stocked rifles in 308Norma & 358Norma. But as for a dream rifle, there's one I've been tossing around in my head a bit for a long time.

I'd like to build what I've come to call a "walking powerline rifle" after the walking varminters I've seen. Something that is heavy, but not too heavy, that would provide the performance of a beanfield rifle but weigh in a pound or two less. I'd probably start with a Howa lightweight short action (these have been shaved along the action sides to reduce weight), because they have a long enough mag box to accomplish what I'd like to do. I'd chamber it in 7mmWSM, because I think this is the WSM cartridge that offers the most bang for the buck. The barrel would be a 26" heavy contour, but with 10-12 narrow flutes very deep into the steel. All those 90deg angles should help with stiffness, I believe, and the fluting will help cut the weight. I'd also flute the bolt as deeply as I could without perforating it, in a manner as to match the barrel in looks, to the degree I could. I might even drill the rear shroud or machine slots into it to lighten it, also. The bolt handle would get shaved into a flat teardrop shape, at an angle like a Browning A-Bolt, but hollowed in the bell of the handle, again for weight reduction. The stem of the handle would be crossdrilled front to rear, and I'd like to slot it from top to bottom, as well, so it's fully skeletonized. The trigger guard would be narrowed (for weight reduction) and I'd look for any other excess metal to remove, anywhere I could find it. Now, once all that's done, I'd have the whole action cera-koted in either matte black or matte grey, depending on my mood at the time, I suspect. Then mount it in a Bell&Carlson vented varmint style medalist stock (or something lighter if I could find it in a similar style) and top it with a Zeiss Conquest or perhaps one of the Bushnell Elite 6500's.

The goal is to come in under 10lbs loaded and ready to shoot. I think this could be done, but it would be a lot of machining and probably reasonably expensive. All things considered, though, I hope to go after this rig one day. I may change my mind on the action to something lighter, but I think the Howa can be made light enough through machining and still maintain its strength. I do like the flat bottom of that action.

Hope everyone enjoyed the book I just wrote!

I had it built some years ago and am still very pleased with it:
IMG_2331.jpg

Trued 700 short action, McMillan stock, Krieger barrel chambered for the .308 Win. Badger base & rings. It's been a good rifle. Am contemplating turning it into a .300 WSM for a bit more zip at longer ranges.

Guy

I built my "dream gun" about 4 years ago. Here's how it turned out and then a before picture, toward the beginning of the project.
guns013.jpg

[/img]
308K-98MauserTargetRifleProject.jpg

Specs:
308Win Mauser98 rebarreled w/ Parker Hale M82 Sniper barrel, Boyds varmint/target stock- glass bedded, Kick Ez pad, Timney Sportsman set to 2 1/4#. Shoots 3 in same hole consistently at 100 yards w/ 44.6 Varget, FC gold medal brass, 155 SMK Palma, Fed210M, 2.818" OAL.

What a tough question! So many calibres and so little time. I have opportunity to shoot a number of custom guns, though I personally gravitate toward less popular cartridges. Right now, I have all the rifles I need, but I don't have anything in .338 calibre. Ergo, a 338-06 or a 338 Federal may be just the ticket. I would not be too fussy about the barrel, choosing any good premium barrel available to us in Canada (Pac-Nor, Shilen, Gaillard, Bevan King, etc.). The action would be Winchester or Mauser--not because of accuracy, but just because I like the action. I would be quite happy without a custom trigger so long as it broke crisp and was readily adjustable. The action would be blueprinted and pillar bedded. I would want the action and the barrel to be left in the white. I would insist on a walnut stock, probably looking to secure a stock from Ralf Martini. I'd top it off with a Swarovski scope in the appropriate power.

Guy Miner
That is a really nice rifle you have. I would have to agree about a LITTLE MORE ZIP with the 300 WSM. That probably is about the perfect sniper rifle/big-game/target cartridge thats come along in quite a while. I shoot my buddies with much lust in my heart especially after I worked a load to where he was getting .277" 3-shot groups at 100 yards!

Yote Smoker
Nice looking rifle as well. MY question is what did you do to the dog, or did you figure that there was no hope for him? He looks kinda sad in the photo. I wonder if you just had him neutered possibly trying to shave a little weight off of him too? :p

Doc Mike,

Sorry to point this out in a public forum, but I note you have misspelled "Caliber" several time in your recent post. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe the cold has gotten to me....?

Rod

Rod,

Canadian spelling is calibre. I'm thoroughly adjusted. In fact, I'm bilingual. I talk American and speak Canadian, and I can write in either language.

Rod,

You done good, bye! I've learned Newfie since being here, and I still talk purty good Texican. I confess that my French leaves a lot to be desired; I still speak it with a strong southern accent, I'm told.

I grew up under the influence of Jack O'Connor and others of that time. My dream rifle would be a Winchester Model 70 custom stocked by Biesen or Linden in the classic style with a presentation grade Bastogne Walnut. Chambered of course in .270 win or since I also read a lot Carmichael maybe a .280 Remington. Neidner style but plate, skeleton grip cap, ebony forend. A matching .35 Whelen would round out the dream. But in reality my next project is going to be a .35 Whelen on a Remington 700 stocked in a McMillan. I haven't decided on a barrel yet.
'

90 more days until Black Widow arrives!

DrMike":3g9upl8w said:
Rod,

Canadian spelling is calibre. I'm thoroughly adjusted. In fact, I'm bilingual. I talk American and speak Canadian, and I can write in either language.

:lol:

JD338

Pop, I'm betting money it's a Savage action of some sort...

6mm, that beagle was the best rabbit dog I ever had and he was FAST and had a really nice loud chop mouth. I had to let 2 rabbits go that he caught on the run out of season. I ended up selling him because he was just too much between my crazy military schedule and apartment life. Had I had a house with a yard, he'd still be with me and it would have been better for him as well. I'm pretty sure neuturing makes animals bulk up in weight. I didn't have that done to Scout. Maybe that's why he was so fast, or maybe he was confused and had a thing for rabbits, but I'm pretty sure he just loved chasing them and I loved to watch and hear him run.

Back