If you had your choice...

Wincheringen":2ucxfhka said:
have owned a Triple 4 for 15 years......
Wincheringen":2ucxfhka said:
The early ones with the 1-38 twist may struggle with the heavier bullets

That is correct but not all do struggle :mrgreen:

300 gr Beartooth cast

300 gr Sierra FP

both doing about 2100 fps with H335

I personally settled on a 1895 Guide gun in 450 Marlin. It is a JM gun that has Black T coating complete Action and trigger job. Additionally it can with a myriad of reloading gear and accessories. Moreover it will shoot sub-MOA with the 300 grain Barnes bullet. All at a great price!

Attachments

• 5B95207E-9640-40DE-90F6-600DA88271B9_zpsr9pivugs (1).jpg
    5B95207E-9640-40DE-90F6-600DA88271B9_zpsr9pivugs (1).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 450 a.jpg
    450 a.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,451
  • 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,451
Dr Mike, Scotty, Blkram--------since I know Cheyenne is at work and can not read the forum at this time, do you think I should mention on her behalf that perhaps the op might want to consider dropping the straight wall requirement and get a 348 (-;

Seriously, she did replace her 45/70 with a 348 and seems to really like it and I think Scotty likes his as well, just a thought---but, it is not on your original list and not a straight wall, but it is close to being a straight wall (-;

I'd love to drop the straight wall requirement, then I'd just use my .308. But Ohio has silly hunting laws

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

et_miller_87":19tj2r4i said:
I'd love to drop the straight wall requirement, then I'd just use my .308. But Ohio has silly hunting laws

well that sucks (-; But in that case I agree with Scotty and others, find the rifle you like in 444 or 45/70 as either will serve you well in Ohio and when you head to Alaska

Europe":ubybrs6y said:
et_miller_87":ubybrs6y said:

well that sucks (-; But in that case I agree with Scotty and others, find the rifle you like in 444 or 45/70 as either will serve you well in Ohio and when you head to Alaska
I could only DREAM of heading to Alaska. Getting stationed there would be amazing but I don't think my wife would approve!

I would probably try the 444 first, it should have less recoil than the 45/70 and shoot a bit flatter on average. I did have a Ruger No 1 45/70 for a while and it was nice but always thought the 444 was a neat round.

Yeah, there is a good selection of both for rifles and ammo. Same goes for great bullets. Either can be loaded hotter or milder depending on what you want.

My 444 has been in use by a buddy for a few years and he seems to really like hunting with it. Puts good holes into animals and puts them down pretty quick.

My 45-70 has accounted for a few deer and it does about the same thing.

April, I love the 348.... it easily ranks in the same class of killing in my opinion.

OP, I just went thru the same decision-making process within the last year. Like you, I was looking for something to use on deer in Ohio.

I ended up with a Henry H010CC color case hardened .45-70. It's a beautiful rifle and shoots very well. I used the Hornady 325 FTX bullets this year, and now I'm working on some reload options for next year.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever Santa brings you! :)

Oh...and post some pics, whatever you get.

Brian

I'll have to curb the idea of a new rifle until 1st least after Christmas. I only have a couple years left in ohio, not sure if my next home state will have the same requirements. We will see!

Even if not required legally wherever you wind up a 444 or 45-70 is never a bad choice. :grin: Versatile cartridges with a whole lot of punch.

Back