I'm going to get a .30-06

HAWKEYESATX":1cvs75kn said:
ShadeTree":1cvs75kn said:
Hawke,

Interarms, Zastavia, Howa 1500, they're all good rifles. So many good options when looking for an 06. Close your eyes and pick one and you can find it in an 06 for very reasonable money. Just another benefit of the great 06 cartridge.

Far as 760/7600's, my experience matches Fotis. If the barrel is right, the design is made to shoot good to really good. The receiver and the barrel are not confined to any stock material that might cause interference with accuracy.

This was an early 80's 6mm I had here that I worked on for a buddy. The work just amounted to a good cleaning of the barrel and removing carbon and some rust in the chamber and neck area. Once that was taken care of it was an easy repeatable under 3/4" gun with this load.

Wow! That's great accuracy!
Ah ok, I had been wondering a long time about Interarms, and Howa.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Howa is a Weatherby Vanguard if I remember correctly. Very good budget rifles with out of the box accuracy. Interarms and Zastavia's are Mauser designed except with a side safety. Again, quality guns at a good price usually. Just looked at a super nice butter smooth action, synthetic stocked Zastavia last week. Scoped up for $525. Tempting but I'm treading water with 06's currently as it is. :lol:

They do pretty well. I didn’t put a picture of the 35 since Fotis already beat me to it...

SJB358":3s16ppb8 said:

They do pretty well. I didn’t put a picture of the 35 since Fotis already beat me to it...
Can't complain about those. Proof is right there!

Hawk

I just won an auction on Gun Broker for a beautiful Remington 700 BDL .30-06!

I got it for $530! WOO HOO!

Hawk
006121df8dc8f6d69c31815ff70bbccc.jpg

Pretty tough to beat that, congratulations! Those older BDL's are super nice. One day I'll get a lefty BDL again, 270 or 30-06.

gerry":umxev23u said:
Pretty tough to beat that, congratulations! Those older BDL's are super nice. One day I'll get a lefty BDL again, 270 or 30-06.
I was surprised to see it at that price. Yes, the older BDL's are super nice.
Yes, I agree you should get a lefty one again.

Hawk

For the price of a modern entry level rifle you get a much nicer firearm. I bet it shoots too......

gerry":z73g08bw said:
For the price of a modern entry level rifle you get a much nicer firearm. I bet it shoots too......
You are so right! I didn't think I could find one at that price anymore.
I certainly hope it does shoot well, their reputation is awesome!

Hawk

Nice rifle. They are good ones far as I'm concerned. Far as the the price, that's a good price. Great snag. (y)

Only thing I would say is you might find that hard plastic butt plate is a little rough for repetitive summertime bench shooting. Or you might not. Maybe you're tougher than me. A good fitted recoil pad tames them down quite a bit.

ShadeTree":2pbi1ddy said:
Nice rifle. They are good ones far as I'm concerned. Far as the the price, that's a good price. Great snag. (y)

Only thing I would say is you might find that hard plastic butt plate is a little rough for repetitive summertime bench shooting. Or you might not. Maybe you're tougher than me. A good fitted recoil pad tames them down quite a bit.
I wouldn't say I'm tougher. But I had thought about getting a butt pad for it already.
Are there any that fit exactly to it?

I was knocked over that this one was at $530. I've been seeing older ones going $700 - $800. Sometimes more.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":3h0vzx9p said:
ShadeTree":3h0vzx9p said:

I wouldn't say I'm tougher. But I had thought about getting a butt pad for it already.
Are there any that fit exactly to it?

I was knocked over that this one was at $530. I've been seeing older ones going $700 - $800. Sometimes more.

Hawk

With normal clothes on an 06 is perfectly acceptable to me shooting it once, or 10 times off the bench. In T-shirt weather they can be a little rough for repetitive shooting if they only have a hard butt plate on them. Same can be said for some lesser cartridges.

Far as the price, that's another beauty of the 06. If you wait for the right opportunity they typically can be picked up cheaper in used rifles precisely because they've been so popular for so long. There's lots of them out there. Basically a do all cartridge that's available in some darn nice rifles at working man prices. Hard to go wrong in my view.

Wow! That's a beaut Hawk, and a heckuva great score! Bet it shoots like crazy too!

SJB358":1yl1bayb said:
Wow! That's a beaut Hawk, and a heckuva great score! Bet it shoots like crazy too!
Thank you very much!
I'm hoping it's going to shoot well.
With as well taken care of in the photos, I'm thinking the bore should be really good.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":29iei860 said:

Hawk

OUTSTANDING! Should be an excellent rifle. (y)

I made more comments on your 30-06 post in Reloading.

Enjoy!

Guy

Guy Miner":3vndy5t0 said:
HAWKEYESATX":3vndy5t0 said:

Hawk

OUTSTANDING! Should be an excellent rifle. (y)

I made more comments on your 30-06 post in Reloading.

Enjoy!

Guy
Thank you Guy!

It should be a really good rifle for me.

Hawk

I originally was looking at Rem 700 ADL's, because they were closer to the price range I was looking to spend. But, then I thought, meh, why not see if there is a BDL for around the same price, and what do you know? There was, and I watched to see if anyone else would bid, but no one did. Whew! The extra 15 minutes that Gun Broker has you wait is excruciating! I was sweating bullets until it was mine!

I also saw some Post '64 CRPF Winchester M70's for decent prices, but, I wanted a Remington, because that's the only company I don't have any experience with their products.

At one point, all I ever saw in the hunting camps, and woods, was a Remington 700 ADL, or BDL's. Now you don't see them as often, and the .30-06 is on a slight wane nowadays. That's fine by me. Just means more for those who want them.

I was absolutely dumbfounded that I found mine at the price I did. All it took was a little digging.

Hawk

Nice rifle, congratulations!

I got my first 30-06 in the early 70's as a young teen, a model 70 push feed. I hunted big game for over 40 years with it and finally had it rebarreled to a 25-06 a few years ago. All this 30-06 talk has me thinking about getting another.

AFG270":r43u5ak2 said:
Nice rifle, congratulations!

I got my first 30-06 in the early 70's as a young teen, a model 70 push feed. I hunted big game for over 40 years with it and finally had it rebarreled to a 25-06 a few years ago. All this 30-06 talk has me thinking about getting another.
Ah yes! I have had 2 Winchester 70's that were push feeds. I never had a problem with them. They both worked 100%! They were decently accurate. I thought they were a very good looking rifle as well.
My first deer rifle was a Winchester 94 .30-30, then a year later, I saved up enough money to buy a Savage 110GXP Scope Combo in 7mm Rem Mag, and it had a Bushnell Banner 3-9x38 scope on it. This was back in the late 80's, probably '88, or early '89. I was 20 in 88, and enjoyed that rifle very much. I even used it for Coyote hunting. Then, not too far after that, I met my buddy, who was as big of a deer hunting nut as me. In the off season, we ended up getting into varmint hunting, and we got varmint caliber rifles then.
I've tried all the calibers from small to big, .223 on up to .375, but never really gave the .30-06 a chance. The other caliber I really like is the .375 H&H. Had a Mauser action .375 H&H rifle once, and it shot extremely well for such a big round. To me, it felt like a push when I shot it, instead of a fast mule kick like the .300 Win Mag Ruger 77 I used to have as well.
By all means, I think you should get a .30-06 again. You'll be in fine company here in these boards.

Hawk

I have an article that was written a few yrs back about the 06 that I saved. Here's a snippet from it that I found had some interesting thoughts and data.

"If you feel the need, there's no better way to start a hardcore discussion around the proverbial American deer camp fire-ring than "What's the best all-around rifle/cartridge combo available if you could have only one rifle to hunt with?" These days, there are so many different rifle platforms and cartridges to choose from that a person could truly spin themselves right into the ground trying to make up their mind. Given the parameter set above, my choice is a simple one. It's the .30-06 Springfield in a bolt-action rifle.

Everyone has their favorite(s) and, before you give this article a sideways look, I'd appreciate your consideration of the following:

· Over the past 110 years, this cartridge has taken big game on every continent in the world;

· It was our primary service rifle cartridge during WWI, WWII and the Korean War (some folks called it a "conflict"...B.S.! It was a war);

· Since the advent of RCBS keeping records of annual reloading die sales, the '06 has always been in the Top 10, usually in the Top 3; and

· It ranks in the Top 10 each year for total factory ammunition sales.

Another classic example is this. I had the pleasure of hunting "Muy Grande" white-tail bucks, just outside of Laredo Texas, from 1990 to 1994 and again from 1996 to 1999. Being a diehard observer, I took note of the type of rifles and cartridges utilized by 81 hunters visiting the lease. Bolt-action rifles were the hands down favorite at 63, semi-autos were second at 11, lever-actions were third at 5 and break-actions fourth at 2. The '06 ranked first at 55, the .270 Winchester came in second at 19, the .30-30 Winchester was third at 5 and the .308 Winchester finished the list at 2."

Back