I'm going to get a .30-06

ShadeTree":2v5rsbqr said:
I have an article that was written a few yrs back about the 06 that I saved. Here's a snippet from it that I found had some interesting thoughts and data.

"If you feel the need, there's no better way to start a hardcore discussion around the proverbial American deer camp fire-ring than "What's the best all-around rifle/cartridge combo available if you could have only one rifle to hunt with?" These days, there are so many different rifle platforms and cartridges to choose from that a person could truly spin themselves right into the ground trying to make up their mind. Given the parameter set above, my choice is a simple one. It's the .30-06 Springfield in a bolt-action rifle.

Everyone has their favorite(s) and, before you give this article a sideways look, I'd appreciate your consideration of the following:

· Over the past 110 years, this cartridge has taken big game on every continent in the world;

· It was our primary service rifle cartridge during WWI, WWII and the Korean War (some folks called it a "conflict"...B.S.! It was a war);

· Since the advent of RCBS keeping records of annual reloading die sales, the '06 has always been in the Top 10, usually in the Top 3; and

· It ranks in the Top 10 each year for total factory ammunition sales.

Another classic example is this. I had the pleasure of hunting "Muy Grande" white-tail bucks, just outside of Laredo Texas, from 1990 to 1994 and again from 1996 to 1999. Being a diehard observer, I took note of the type of rifles and cartridges utilized by 81 hunters visiting the lease. Bolt-action rifles were the hands down favorite at 63, semi-autos were second at 11, lever-actions were third at 5 and break-actions fourth at 2. The '06 ranked first at 55, the .270 Winchester came in second at 19, the .30-30 Winchester was third at 5 and the .308 Winchester finished the list at 2."
That's a great article!

I was going to say that the .30-06 wouldn't have survived if it wasn't a great cartridge to hunt with. It wouldn't have lasted 114 years if it was mediocre, or even close to lackluster.
Just because it's a military cartridge, or former military cartridge doesn't ensure longevity, look at the obsolete .38 Colt cartridge.
The .30-06 has survived because it is just that good. It has taken every big game animal on this continent. It has plenty of power, and one shot kills under it's belt, probably more than any other cartridge, besides the .30-30.
There aren't any flies buzzing around this cartridge. It doesn't drink, and it's not dead.
There's also another old saying, " If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"
Well, I'm not beating it, so might as well join with the others on here and find out for myself.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I just thought of a saying about the .270 and elk hunting that Craig Boddington would say, and he admits that the .270 is a marginal cartridge to hunt elk, but it's on the right side of marginal.

The .30-06 might be "marginal" while hunting the big bears, but as Craig Boddington would say,"It's on the right side of marginal".

I would definitely say that the .30-06 is marginal, if the only shot you would get is a Texas heart shot ( up the bears keester ).
Now, if it's facing you, or broad side, it's way better than marginal. It has plenty of oomph to make through and through shots broadside.

But, thems my thoughts.

Hawk

So when are you getting it and what scope?

I am guessing a 3x9x40 Burris Ballistic Plex fullfield!

FOTIS":24bhlnzd said:
So when are you getting it and what scope?

I am guessing a 3x9x40 Burris Ballistic Plex fullfield!
Fotis,

I should be getting my rifle this week!

Damn! Are you a psychic?!?
I am definitely going to get a Burris Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle for her.

Hawk

Yup I am psychotic :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .....emm I mean psychic. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FOTIS":3hrgm65x said:
Yup I am psychotic :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .....emm I mean psychic. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LMAO

Hawk

Here's a question for all of you .30-06 aficionados.
Is the general consensus that the 165 gr AB, or BT a good all around bullet weight for mixed bag big game hunting?
Does anyone use a 165 gr Hornady hunting bullet, and have the same results?
Or, would I be better off with a 180 gr BT for mixed bag big game hunting?

Please impart your wisdom, oh great and knowledgeable ones, please?

Hawk

What's the largest game you will hunt with your 30-06? Personally, I'm content with a 165-168 grain bullet. If it's tougher game I'll be seeking, I'll go with a premium bullet. If the game is thin skinned, then a BT will do quite nicely.

DrMike":p178mhcn said:
What's the largest game you will hunt with your 30-06? Personally, I'm content with a 165-168 grain bullet. If it's tougher game I'll be seeking, I'll go with a premium bullet. If the game is thin skinned, then a BT will do quite nicely.
The biggest big game I would, and have hunted is elk. Mostly, it would be deer, antelope, big horn sheep, wild hog, and the occasional Coyote.
Hopefully, one of these days, I can do a grand slam, like Guy has done recently.

Hawk

The 165 AccuBond has been very impressive to me. Saw it fetch some bulls with utterly great performance while encountering a pile of bone and holding up very impressively. If you're not hunting bull elk sized stuff, Mike's spot on, the Ballistic Tip or similar are pretty tough to whoop.

SJB358":22aynh39 said:
The 165 AccuBond has been very impressive to me. Saw it fetch some bulls with utterly great performance while encountering a pile of bone and holding up very impressively. If you're not hunting bull elk sized stuff, Mike's spot on, the Ballistic Tip or similar are pretty tough to whoop.
Thank you Scotty!
I was searching last night, late, for the QL loads I had seen from the .280 Rem loads I had asked about.
I found them eventually, and I just about fell over when I saw that the 165's were zipping along at over 3000 fps! HOLY COW! Then I saw the 180's being pushed to over 2900 fps with RL-26! HOLY SMOKES! That powder has pushed the .30-06 performance to be in the .300 H&H class! I almost fainted! LOL
But, I would certainly use a premium 165 gr if I were elk hunting, and for some of the really big mule deer I've seen in the Rockies of Wyoming.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":r5shpqm7 said:
SJB358":r5shpqm7 said:
Thank you Scotty!
I was searching last night, late, for the QL loads I had seen from the .280 Rem loads I had asked about.
I found them eventually, and I just about fell over when I saw that the 165's were zipping along at over 3000 fps! HOLY COW! Then I saw the 180's being pushed to over 2900 fps with RL-26! HOLY SMOKES! That powder has pushed the .30-06 performance to be in the .300 H&H class! I almost fainted! LOL
But, I would certainly use a premium 165 gr if I were elk hunting, and for some of the really big mule deer I've seen in the Rockies of Wyoming.

Hawk

You couldn't go wrong with either. The easy button is 2800-2900 with a 4350 and a 165. No special powders or anything like that, and you're set for most hunting. I think Joel uses H4350 with his, as does Guy, IMR4350 is pretty good to.

All depends on what you wanna do with it really. That Remington you have will let you load whatever you want, wherever you want, giving you some good flexibility.

SJB358":3uvqym7i said:
HAWKEYESATX":3uvqym7i said:
SJB358":3uvqym7i said:
Thank you Scotty!

Hawk

You couldn't go wrong with either. The easy button is 2800-2900 with a 4350 and a 165. No special powders or anything like that, and you're set for most hunting. I think Joel uses H4350 with his, as does Guy, IMR4350 is pretty good to.

All depends on what you wanna do with it really. That Remington you have will let you load whatever you want, wherever you want, giving you some good flexibility.
Thank you Scotty!
There's plenty of H4350 around here.
I don't think I would have to push the 165's into the 3000 fps area. The 2800 - 2900 fps has been the bread and butter velocities for the 165's for a very long time. You can't beat that.
Yeah, the Remington M700 BDL hasn't arrived as of yet, so I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for it. I'm not going to stress it by going over 60k psi. Just do the regular loading, since that's where the reputation of the 06 was established.
I still haven't decided yet as to which bullet weight I want to use, but the 165's are looking a lot better.

Hawk

Bryce....
At this point I do NOT know how many rifles I own.....Honestly I have to either consult my Spreadsheet or literally sit down and count them out.
Point being that there are way too many variables in loading for them and component cost and availability and inventory can drive one nuts. Based on this I decided a long time ago on this theory.

One gun = one (versatile) load.

For my 30-06 I chose the 180 BT (180 AB, 165 AB, 168 TTSX etc. would also work fine) and 57 gr of H4350. 2770 fps and will do from Mice to Moose. The .500 plus BC helps also.

I loaded these for my friends' 300 win mags (3000 fps) and they filled their tags on elk 2 years ago. Ranges varied from 40 yards to over 200. We never recovered a bullet. They are tough !

So simplify your life brother.

FOTIS":2npsh4ke said:
Bryce....
At this point I do NOT know how many rifles I own.....Honestly I have to either consult my Spreadsheet or literally sit down and count them out.
Point being that there are way too many variables in loading for them and component cost and availability and inventory can drive one nuts. Based on this I decided a long time ago on this theory.

One gun = one (versatile) load.

For my 30-06 I chose the 180 BT (180 AB, 165 AB, 168 TTSX etc. would have worked fine) and 57 gr of H4350. 2770 fps and will do from Mice to Moose. The .500 plus BC helps also.

I loaded these for my friends' 300 win mags (3000 fps) and they filled their tags on elk 2 years ago. Ranges varied from 40 yards to over 200. We never recovered a bullet. They are tough !

So simplify your life brother.
Yes, thank you Fotis!
That is exactly what I am trying to brother, simplify things for myself.
I will, of course, follow your advice. I trust your experience and knowledge of such things.
The velocity you're getting, 2770 fps, is extremely respectable, and that is where the 06 velocities should be.
That's great testimony that the 180 gr BT's worked very well, and a bullet was never recovered.
I have high confidence with H4350, or IMR 4350, since I have used that powder before in my .25-06.

Hawk

Yup I remember you were getting some smoking speeds from your ruger 77 25-06 with IMR 4350 and 100 grain Sierras.

H 4350 is a lot friendlier as to temperature differences as is Enduron (IMR) 4451

FOTIS":2ttl5of4 said:
Yup I remember you were getting some smoking speeds from your ruger 77 25-06 with IMR 4350 and 100 grain Sierras.

H 4350 is a lot friendlier as to temperature differences as is Enduron (IMR) 4451
Nice! I will definitely note those down.
Yeah, that Ruger M77 .25-06 sure made that 100 gr Sierra Gameking really sail fast!
I miss that rifle.
Ce la vi!

Hawk

Here we go ladies, and gentlemen,

I finally got her today! She's a beautiful firearm!

Can't wait to go to the range and get her final sight in done!

Woo-hoo

Hawk
1e7fed859515794280555d89b2ded44f.jpg
d44101dc56ea9927bfe62ad79a7c5d51.jpg

Back