I'm going to get a .30-06

I've only shot one elk with the 165 AccuBond. The elk died. Bullet hit in the short ribs and ended up in what was left of the left lung The elk went maybe 30 feet and expired. We never found the bullet.

The rifle was an FN Mauser with 24" barrel, 1 in 12" twist. It doesn't shoot heavier bullets worth squat.
Powder was W760, 56.0 gr. WW brass and WLR primer.

I'm thinking about trying some loads with Re17. I've heard some good thing about that powder and the 30-06.
Paul B.

PJGunner":2m5msy2d said:
I've only shot one elk with the 165 AccuBond. The elk died. Bullet hit in the short ribs and ended up in what was left of the left lung The elk went maybe 30 feet and expired. We never found the bullet.

The rifle was an FN Mauser with 24" barrel, 1 in 12" twist. It doesn't shoot heavier bullets worth squat.
Powder was W760, 56.0 gr. WW brass and WLR primer.

I'm thinking about trying some loads with Re17. I've heard some good thing about that powder and the 30-06.
Paul B.
I'm a strong proponent to try different powders.
If I'm not mistaken, but try to up your velocities on the heavier bullets, that might help stabilize them.
But, the 165 gr can handle almost all the hunting needs on this continent, depending on if you use a Partition or AccuBond.
I love the Mauser action and chambered to .30-06.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Back