IMR 7828 and IMR 7828scc for a 340 Weatherby

lechero

Beginner
Jul 28, 2007
I've finally used all of my Imr 7828. Can I use the same 86.5 gr of Imr 7828scc or do I have to start from scratch and try to find a sweet spot?

should be the same ............... any time you buy a new can of powder it can vary some , compared to the old can of powder , due to it being different lots of powder . these two do use the same load data .

They are virtually identical except for their bulk when loading. I would suggest you use whichever powder gives you near 100% loading density beneath the bullet base.

lechero":1ptds6jk said:
I've finally used all of my Imr 7828. Can I use the same 86.5 gr of Imr 7828scc or do I have to start from scratch and try to find a sweet spot?

YUP

I exclusively use 7828ssc in all of the Weatherby calibers. I didn't see any difference when switching from "long cut".

SSC is Super Short Cut. Same powder. You should be fine but as Dr. Mike mentioned, different lots could be different. Try dropping down a grain and try a shot.

JD338

I have shot imr7828 in the 340 wby. for several years, always using F215 mag. primers. The OP did not speak of the bullet he planed to use with the mentioned powder chg., but I found imr7828 to work well with the popular ones when shot from Weatherby rifles.

Jim

I never used 7828 in my 340w, however, I have used it through the years in many other calibers and as said by others..."yes" no difference between long or short cut...same powder. Now, I used H4350 behind the old Barnes 210XBT in Africa and it was "pure dee poison" on Plains game!

Back