IMR 7977 update

Yoda

Beginner
Feb 3, 2015
For the most part things are looking pretty darn good for this powder, hard to say for sure since this is a brand new barrel but I'm impressed so far, 200 yards less the a inch with a max load of 61 grains of the stuff ( Hodgdson Data) with no pressure signs, and if things are running with the Hodgdson data this is over 3400 FPS in my 25 inch bartlein 5r barrel, didn't get a chance to run it over the chorny, and we didn't walk to 200 yards to measure the group because of the 2 feet of snow (Once was enough) but it looked really good in the spotting scope. Load data is a follows
Cases- Winchester
Primer - WLR
COAL- 3.665 ( this is a measurement using a PTG "nut" that runs off the ogive of the bullet) this is .005 off the lands in my in my rifle'
Bullet- Speer BTSP 100gr
Powder- IMR 7977 . starting load 55 gr. Book max is 61 C , it was not a compressed load in my brass

The rifle is a Remington 25-06, I just had a Bartlein SS #3 contour barrel screwed on it and it is 25 inches long

Wow, sounds like a good shooting load. That is fast for a 100 grain bullet too.

I'm very happy with it so far, hoping to get the accrual speed of the thing in the next month or so when we can shoot it over the chronograph

Sounds as if that load will work. I can't blame you for not wanting to trek through the snow to measure groups.

Back