Inexpensive .22 Mossberg 702

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This little rifle surprised me. Some friends, who aren't really "gun people" wanted me to take a look at a little .22 Mossberg they'd been given recently. It's something they want to have in their campsite. Yes, they know gun safety, they took my course. :grin:

I wasn't familiar with the rifle. Just a synthetic stocked semi-auto Mossberg 702 "Plinkster" with factory sights. Weighs almost nothing, 4 pounds. Feels light as a feather. Looks rather like a Ruger 10/22, but has a 10-round single-stack magazine instead of Ruger's famous rotary mag. The trigger wasn't bad, for a plinking rifle, and the safety was very crisp and positive.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... 2-22/37001

They each fired a few rounds, then handed it to me to "check the sights" as they were both having trouble with their bifocals and the sights. Not an unusual problem. At 10 yards, leaning on a bench, I fired 5 shots which all went into a tight cluster in the bullseye! Cool. The rifle came from the factory well sighted in for casual plinking or modest range small game hunting.

Together, we only put about a half a box of ammo through it, but doggone, it was fun to shoot! No malfunctions of any kind, commendable accuracy and very easy to shoot. Seemed to me like a great little plinking rifle. Also avail with a shorter stock to accommodate smaller shooters.

MSRP is about $175, and I've seen them for less in gun shops & sporting goods stores.

My friends are likely going to top it with a simple red dot sight, or a low powered scope that they can focus for their eyesight. That should make it perfect for their purposes.

Regards, Guy

Back